Echo CS-670 Brake Handle Burn

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a new brake handle on order but I don't want to see it suffer the same treatment that the engine gave the old one:
1698253624073.png
I removed the exhaust port and checked the spark screen and it's not clogged. Here is where the exhaust generates the heat. It seems clear:
1698253755281.png
So, my question is, how can I give the handle a better heat shield or port the exhaust somehow so that the new one doesn't suffer the same burn out? Anybody else run into this with the larger Echo saws? I like the way this engine starts and runs except for this fault. Maybe I can adjust the flow somehow so that the heat does not impact the brake handle. Any suggestions welcome. TIA.

Sounds good, NSEric. Exhaust port bending is now in progress. I may also wrap this original brake handle with metal tape to help deflect the heat and may do the same with the new handle when it arrives. To improve appearance, I can paint that silver tape on the outside with heat resistant black paint. In the past I have used this tape on several saws under the shroud portion that is directly above the muffler. It seems to work rather well there also.

Very common on these style from echo. See it on alot of them over the years. Most seem like they get loose and droop forward more then they should.

Had to replace this one as it was melted off when came in.

View attachment 1122866
Looks like we uncovered a major design flaw. Note that your Pic shows the position of the handle is well back from the exhaust port, as is mine. Regardless, the exhaust fumes still burned up the orange plastic. I think the only long-term solution is a redesigned deflector or the whole muffler. To my knowledge, Echo has done nothing about it.

About the only other repair I have had to make on this chainsaw was to change out one of the muffler bolts with the next size up. We shall see how my tinfoil-tape wrapping works to deflect the heat on the old brake handle. I'll save the new handle as a backup and test market that idea for awhile. I already had the black heat-resistant Rustoleum paint in the shop. I've used that before on charcoal grills.

Looks like we uncovered a major design flaw. Note that your Pic shows the position of the handle is well back from the exhaust port, as is mine. Regardless, the exhaust fumes still burned up the orange plastic. I think the only long-term solution is a redesigned deflector or the whole muffler. To my knowledge, Echo has done nothing about it.

About the only other repair I have had to make on this chainsaw was to change out one of the muffler bolts with the next size up. We shall see how my tinfoil-tape wrapping works to deflect the heat on the old brake handle. I'll save the new handle as a backup and test market that idea for awhile. I already had the black heat-resistant Rustoleum paint in the shop. I've used that before on charcoal grills.
It saved the Shindiawa brake handles with the top exit port. They melt the handle in the center section. Once modded they don't. I still add the good heat tape on those. The factory tape bit is just too small

Opening those stock vents on that muffler also would have helped make it worse too. They look like they were pried open.

Echo in my pic above needed new muffler too. Reason for the melt also.

I was getting ready to run my 670 with new brake handle. Guy noticed I had pried open its oem deflector. He was like you might want to close that back up or you will melt the handle. Said they were made that way for that reason. So I did and opened 2 gills other places on muffler.

j670frontme.jpgj67044444.jpgj670444444.jpgj670muuu.jpg

The newer (non pro) Echo's will all come with a CAT in the muffler and that causes the exhaust outlet temps to be much higher and melt the plastic over cover on the CS top handle saws at least. removal of the cat or a non cat replacement muff, cures that issue along with some adjusting of the top deflector baffle. Echo did offer a non cat muff but not sure if it's still available. I do know that Forrester offers one (aftermarket).

If you go on the Echo website and check out the CS reviews, there are more than one from unhappy owners that have melted the overcovers. Not so much on the larger saws however, I just don't like the exhaust blowing to the right side of the saw which is a personal preference only.

I modded the deflector on my 590 to direct the exhaust gas toward the the front, rather than the side and I removed the under baffle entirely, which is spot welded to the top deflector and requires some careful grinding with a die grinder or a Dremel tool.

A tree-service manager brought in an Echo CS-590 for me to work on. No brake handle was on board. I asked him what happened to it and he said, "It burned off", whatever that meant. He said, "We run it without one. The idea is to get the job done."

This chainsaw needed a new tank housing, a new bar and chain. and a carb tune up. I repaired/replaced those and he continues to use this saw without batting an eye.

Back