• ArboristSite has decided that due to the abusive interactions users are having with each other in the political forum, we will no longer be providing a place to talk politics on this forum. Any political posts will be deleted once discovered or reported to us. We are sorry for this inconvenience.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
www.harvesterbars.com

Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Huskybill

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
When I first started doing firewood I split my first 20 cords by hand with a sears 6lb maul. Then I built my first log splitter. I lasted for many decades. My second splitter had a 5”x24” cylinder with 10” H beam. With a hydraulic grapple crane. Sold it, too heavy to move it. Now I need something small for around the house. Something electric/hydraulic? Who makes the best one? Just something above a maul. Lol

Huskybill

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
I purchased many snap on dead blow plastic hammers. I gave my sons some too. My cracked and my sons did too all the same week. I wonder how long my fishers will last.

svk

Saw Hoarder
As I referenced in the scrounging thread, I’m very pleased with how the Fiskars Super Splitting Axe performs. Hits with a lot more authority than the X-25. Top view of the heads for reference, X-25 on left and SSA on right. FWIW the X-25 and X-27 use the same head.

1CF8214D-1296-465E-BDED-F9AD867A8FD6.jpeg F971FEE7-2200-4126-A209-14545CCF1082.jpeg

pdelosh

pdelosh

ArboristSite Lurker
When I first started doing firewood I split my first 20 cords by hand with a sears 6lb maul. Then I built my first log splitter. I lasted for many decades. My second splitter had a 5”x24” cylinder with 10” H beam. With a hydraulic grapple crane. Sold it, too heavy to move it. Now I need something small for around the house. Something electric/hydraulic? Who makes the best one? Just something above a maul. Lol
I got rid of my full beam splitter for the same reason and pick up the 1/2 beam cub cadet w/honda engine. I can move it around the yard myself with no problem.

Reactions: svk
LondonNeil

LondonNeil

Addicted to ArboristSite
This looks interesting....really interesting. I'm tempted to try it, although at £105 delivered its really not cheap. anybody got thoughts?

I happened across it when I was checking the cost of a gransfors maul after I saw one on ebay... rrp for those £150, current bid on the enbay one, £90+10. tempting to stick little go in on that but not if i try the japanese axe