Whats everyones favorite splitting device?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put this head on a nice 36” Beaver Tooth handle and did some work profiling the edge. It works real well for the wood we have here.

I have a Stihl splitting axe that splits softer wood super well, but the handle is really short and it makes things kind of difficult to hit square. Their splitting maul looks really nice, but I can’t bring myself to add another maul when I already have two.

Attachments

• 6C2078A1-E449-4290-B72B-0862E4FD5B68.jpeg
    6C2078A1-E449-4290-B72B-0862E4FD5B68.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
Well ideally the favorite would be a 30ton 2stage splitter. It that lucky. I have an armstrong powered 8lb maul. I use the cheap stuff as shattering handles in southern oaks is common. For the soft stuff I use Grampy's Kelly double bit. Splitting is the good life for me. Prolly need to get my head checked😆

That Vulcan is clearly a casting, probably cast steel.
The Sotz one that I mail ordered was flame cut out of a THICK sheet of steel.
Back then, oxy-acetylene cut steel was cheap.

Mine even had a flame cut edge that penetrated the wood.
They're actually kinda soft, the older ones. Mine developed teeth along the edge. Don't know how that happened.🤔 Ended up grinding off the edge to about a quarter inch flat and building it back up with 7018 rod. Helped everything but my aim.

8 pound Task Maul.
KIMG0480.JPG
cutting ash today.
Has a thinner front section so it can be sharpened many times without having to remove a lot of metal. Handle has a nice rubber protective sleeve above the head to reduce strike damage. I admit it I tend to make T splits so hitting the handle on the unsplit piece in front of my "next" line happens.
Head shape may have changed a little.

I have an original Sotz monster maul. They had 4 models. The "lady's maul" weighed 11.5 lbs and had a 8lb head. They also had a 16 lb maul with a 12 lb head, a 24 lb maul with a 20 lb head, and a "professional" model. They are pretty neat, and as was said were often shown in magazines.

I also have an original Chopper1 axe.

I have to admit I prefer my gas powered SuperSplitter though :)

I have been using my helko tomahawk 8 lb maul. It's a bustin Jessie. That head must be made of some pretty impressive steel. I busted rocks steel glass you name it. Never have I ever touched the edge once. Sharp but not too sharp for blunt force trauma.

I love my x27. I have split a good amount of (Virginia) white oak with it. It's hard to beat one of those for 60 bucks, guaranteed for life. I have beat the hell out of it and it's still going strong. I also have the big fiskars Maul, and it's pretty solid, too. I like that I can bury it and then sledge the back end of it if I need to.

If I'm splitting by hand I prefer wedges and my 24 lb sledge one whack most of the time and the wedge shoots through the wood like a bullet. If it isn't straight grained or it's knotty my hydraulic splitter will push right through it.

I like my Fiskars X-27 for most splitting.Ash,red oak,most wild cherry,and most locust is no problem.I have the big Fiskars maul as well,but I can't remember the model number of it.

When I was in school I used a five pound single blade ax, an eight pound hammer & steel wedge for crouch & knotted rounds.
Now that I am no longer ten years old, if I cut more than four pick up loads a year, I would get a splitter & push a button.

Back