square ground chisel chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Javelin

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just currious but does anyone use this chain on here? and if you do do you like it, does it cut better than the round ground?

I have my own opinion of it but just currious to here yours!

I don't use it. Many here do. It cuts faster than Round. Mostly used in West Coast area. 10-15% faster than round if I remember corectly. Can be round ground, or ground on a grinder harder to do by hand from what I hear. Must remove gullets that form.

Carl

I buy square ground chisel, and try to keep it filed that way. But it is hard to do accurately, and is a slow process, so I usually end up filing it round after a while. I doubt that it is 10-15% faster than round ground, maybe when perfectly filed. not the way I do it..

theres people here that can put out a good cutting square chisel chain ,with a machine ,for that purpose.. ive tried it and from what i see it holds edge pretty good... as with round chisel ,,a lot depends on whether u goin for an show off chain ,,or one thats gonna work all day with u in clean wood.. im kinda savin my square chisel for some fellas ,,thats taking aim at me dn here..
by the way ,,mike i know u lurcking there bud.. cant spell to good but i didnt just fall off the turnip truck..heck i told u about arborsite myself .. i saw that gleem in u eye that day,,and u aint no dummy.... so come on out,,u ll have a good time here ..:) we ll get something started around here..tony

up here we cannot get square chain to easily so we use the round square chain and then square file it, not sure why most guys think it is hard to file , it was pretty easy for me to learn, now this is for cutting in the bush not race chain. for myself square filed chain is the only way to go as long as you arenot cutting on the landing
it is faster , smoother and a big one , in the winter when it is cold out you will break less chains because it doesnot grab like round filed chain does
i can hear the guys now , i donot break any chains but try cutting when it is 45 below and see if you donot break chains.
if a am running oregon i could not carry enough chain at that temp. so in the winter most guys up here run calton
the husky shop has a young lad that in the winter time fixs chain most of the day
now with square filed i donot have that problem

Well I use it and really like it! However I do not use a flat file, I use a ziglemeyer grinder. I also do not use oregon I usually use carlton round ground chain and convert it over to square ground.

Carlton is a good chain , i like it to cut with
but someguys you cannot change up here until you show them.
What i have found is if I take a 066 with a new round filed chain on it , i can take a 046 with a square filed chain and cut as fast as the 066 with less weight but the 066 with square filed chain and opened up muffler is my kind of saw . now your cooking

Hi Javelin

I`ve never heard of a Ziglemeyer grinder. Googled it and found Zeiglemeyer Machine in Medford,Oregon, is this the same company? What more can you tell us about this grinder? I`m sure that there are other east coasters like myself who`d appreciate more info. Got any pics that you could post?

Russ

Latest posts

Back