Square ground chisel chain ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nixon

ArboristSite Guru
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I don't personally know anyone that uses it locally, so i ordered a couple of 72 ,and 84 dl chains . I also ordered the atop jig ,as i can't eyeball things worth a darn.
Im getting the impression from some that its not all that great for cutting firewood ,as it dulls very quickly and is a pain to sharpen . My thinking is that if the wood is clean ,and i don't trench with the saw , then it shouldn't be a whole lot worse than round chisel .
Anyone have opinions , or experience that you would share on the subject ?
Thanks , John

True.

To try to file a round ground chisel chain to square will wear out a couple $10 files using the A-top jig.

To keep a square chain sharp is not too bad free hand. The all important part is keeping the corner of the inside angles aligned with the outside angles. Using a square chain with work chain inside angles will last almost as long as round chisel.

The A-top makes race chain inside angles. Cuts good at first.

There are a bunch of threads on this.

Consensus seems to be: that it cuts faster, especially in soft woods; dulls faster than semi-chisel chain; requires skill and/or a special grinder to sharpen it. Cleaning the bark off of the wood first is reported to reduce some of the faster dulling, but might be impractical for firewood. Firewood generally has been handled more, and touched the ground more, so semi-chisel is usually recommended.

Your Atop jig has received generally good reviews, but people still comment on the cost of the special files. Hand filing and the Silvey grinders also allow users to adjust the angles of the cutting edges for performance, and there is a lot of discussion on that if you search the threads.

I recently picked up a used grinder just to 'play' with square ground chain, but won't be able to get to it for a little while. I will be interested to hear your opinions comparing the performance of square ground and round ground chisel chain side by side in similar wood.

Philbert

I bought an old antique Silvey Swing Arm grinder that was identical to a Simington 450 Swing Arm Grinder. I rebuilt it with all new bearings and fasteners. I suppose it would have worked OK the way it was but you know how guys are with a new toy.

Anyway, it does a great job on the chains. Rather effortless to make a round chain square or sharpen a dull chain.

Swing arm grinders are simple devices once they are set up.

A friend bought a roll of Oregon LC square and managed to keep the loops sharp by hand file. No big deal.

He would also take an old square chain and grind it round. No reason you can not file a square chain round.

Likewise, he would use his Atop jig on the already square chain to make his race chains.

Latest posts

Back