Standing but DEAD

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holler Dave

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Roughly how long can a dead White Oak (20" dia) be left standing before the wood loses it's value as a saw log? Thanks for your replies. Holler Dave.

Depends. Short answer is 1-2 years.

Long answer depends on what it died from, how long it took to die, and how much fungus has moved in. It also depends on the market which the log will be sold for. If it was a pallet log and and isn't too rotten than it won't lose much. If it was a Grade 1 and stood dead for a few years it won't be suitable for that market anymore. Stains caused by fungus will keep it out of any high value use. If decay is advanced then it isn't worth much except for fire wood.

Thanks for the replies. The trees are victims of soil compaction. There are 6 of them and they have been dead for 2 years. I cut down two of the smaller ones( 14 inchers) and found about 3/4 inch of punk wood under the bark but no serious checking of the wood. The 20 incher had about 1 1/2 inch of punk and the log was really checked all the way up. Oh well I heat with wood so I'll get some benefit out of it. Thanks again. Holler Dave.

Back