Started a New Stump Grinding Business.... Sheeeesh!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not in a backyard you will not. I'm liking the carlton tracks. FLip a button and I'm through the gate and flip it the other way and I'm ready to grind. I think the best feature the tracks allow is instant positioning for side roots out of swing width.

Not in a backyard you will not. I'm liking the carlton tracks. FLip a button and I'm through the gate and flip it the other way and I'm ready to grind. I think the best feature the tracks allow is instant positioning for side roots out of swing width.

The backyards I do I will we have big gates here and if not I don't want them anyway:laugh:

I woould beg to differ, I think my self propelled, grinder will out grind your towbehind. Total time on a hundred stumps. I don't have to get in my truck and move the grinder around. I've got 60hp!

I woould beg to differ, I think my self propelled, grinder will out grind your towbehind. Total time on a hundred stumps. I don't have to get in my truck and move the grinder around. I've got 60hp!

Tell you what then feller you take your walk along and I will
do my tow behind on one of my golf course contracts and we will
see who gets done faster!

First off I can't believe they let you drive trucks on the course anywhere. How close are the stumps together? If you have a dozen at a time close together I win hands down takes to much time to reposition the truck. I will load on trailer and tow to next spot by the time you have repostioned on
10th stump.

I accept your challenge, where do I show up at. What are the terms?

First off I can't believe they let you drive trucks on the course anywhere. How close are the stumps together? If you have a dozen at a time close together I win hands down takes to much time to reposition the truck. I will load on trailer and tow to next spot by the time you have repostioned on
10th stump.

I accept your challenge, where do I show up at. What are the terms?

They are fairly scattered out your trailer is not going to do it won't make the turns through the many bridges on this pga course. So you will walk along roughly ten miles on 27 holes. They have been ground for this year as we do them in summer so the truck is no issue. I will keep your challenge in mind and the terms we would have to arrange something. By the way unless
you can grind at ten dollars per stump you won't make it here!
Oh almost forgot it depends on who is driving the truck weather
your right or wrong on the dozen close together but that would
be your only strong suit.

Last edited:
You are telling me that yout truck makes it on those bridges with stumper in tow? If that is the case then I'll just load up on my landscape truck and whip it to the next spot of stumps. And grind those #####s from the comfort of my truck cab in the ac. 10 a stump a hundred at a time, no problem. Easy 6/7 hours of work.

You are telling me that yout truck makes it on those bridges with stumper in tow? If that is the case then I'll just load up on my landscape truck and whip it to the next spot of stumps. And grind those #####s from the comfort of my truck cab in the ac. 10 a stump a hundred at a time, no problem. Easy 6/7 hours of work.

Sounds like ya got a good setup then. We are both 60 hp

Last edited:
That is ok then. I see all the guys around here, paying help to drive the trucks around half of their drivers suck and backing up. It takes them for ever to get into position and actually do the work. I have people working for me that cleanup if its needed. I'm usually done grinding when they finish cleaning the first stump up. I like golf course though they are great money makers.

Hey ropensaddle

Is Arkansas pretty busy now as far as tree work goes? This stinking economy is really slowing down the phone calls, worse than 9-11. Where in the country is the best place to keep on working through the winter? I like my heavy duty equipment as much as the next guy, but the thing I want most is paying customers. I am even willing to move to an area and buy a business if I thought the work was happening. Know of any place? Thanks, Treemann

Is Arkansas pretty busy now as far as tree work goes? This stinking economy is really slowing down the phone calls, worse than 9-11. Where in the country is the best place to keep on working through the winter? I like my heavy duty equipment as much as the next guy, but the thing I want most is paying customers. I am even willing to move to an area and buy a business if I thought the work was happening. Know of any place? Thanks, Treemann

Well it was going good but has slowed some I thought I might
actually see profit then the slow down:cry: Their is work but
many price shoppers probably not too much different from where your at.

I will be on the tenth stump by the time you take them off!

But you can't get to any stumps that he can if he has to take the wheels off.

Now, I, on the otherhand, WILL be on the 10th backyard stump by the time you get those wheels off and back on. (I wouldn't want to grind with that heavy machine on only 2 wheels.)

2008-09-29057.jpg

2008-09-29058.jpg

I had always heard Denver was one of the strongest markets for everything. I had expected to keep workiing in Minneapolis through Thanksgiving but it died off a few weeks ago. Phone is silent, no e-mails. I haate winter.

I've got an RG50 with 1200 hrs on it(a little tired) and I think it's great. I used to run an SC1102 and I don't think it's much faster than my RG. I love the RG chassis, I've never run one but an RG90 has got to be king. There have been a few times on very wet ground where the RG would spin (single wheels, two wheel drive). TRacks could be better but you gotta turn and they can rip things up too.

But you can't get to any stumps that he can if he has to take the wheels off.

Now, I, on the otherhand, WILL be on the 10th backyard stump by the time you get those wheels off and back on. (I wouldn't want to grind with that heavy machine on only 2 wheels.)

2008-09-29057.jpg

2008-09-29058.jpg
:laugh: you have those back yard gigs they don't pay me enough
ps clean your machine before you take pictures lol so does it have
much hp?

:laugh: you have those back yard gigs they don't pay me enough
ps clean your machine before you take pictures lol so does it have
much hp?

Those backyard gigs paid over $9k in 11 days in houston/beaumont.

That one job took about 45 minutes total and was $350.

I was in TX and didn't have time to clean my machine. Besides, my machine makes as much dirty as it does clean.

That's a 60 hp grinder.

Same grinder I have. That was good money, where you following a company or just beating down doors?

Back