Started a New Stump Grinding Business.... Sheeeesh!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same grinder I have. That was good money, where you following a company or just beating down doors?

Followed a company for a while and was bored out of my mind and not making enuf. Drove to Houston from Beaumont and hooked up with a guy that had a smaller grinder that couldn't do the large blow-overs and we beat doors for 4 days and I made over $7k in those 4 days.

2008-09-29048.jpg

dude.. you should stop letting people set your price. Get a figure in your head and stick with it. Word of mouth works both ways..( I just gewed this stump guy down 50 bucks and he worked his @ss off!! get him he is cheap) That will be the next setence after your name is spoken.Never give a price until you see the stump.Offer 2 prices if they want to save some cash.. 1 price is grind only.. 2nd price is grind,backfill, and haul away debree.Most important is do a great job. When that word gets out you can set your price high and still get work.Let someone else break even or loose money on the stumps you don't get.There is no point in working unless you are making money..and yes i hate grinding stumps!!! But is easier money than splitting firewood.

Those backyard gigs paid over $9k in 11 days in houston/beaumont.

That one job took about 45 minutes total and was $350.

I was in TX and didn't have time to clean my machine. Besides, my machine makes as much dirty as it does clean.

That's a 60 hp grinder.

Whoa easy there skin so soft just messing around:laugh:
It is good you made money and with the 60hp I understand how:cheers:
You could still clean the machine though:hmm3grin2orange:

Whoa easy there skin so soft just messing around:laugh:
It is good you made money and with the 60hp I understand how:cheers:
You could still clean the machine though:hmm3grin2orange:

Only time I take the time to clean it is when it is time to change the teeth. Then I will pressure wash it and it makes that job so much easier.

It still has TX dirt on it right now. :dizzy:

I'm getting all my ducks in a row to chase with the grinder next year. Not texas, but if we have one close on the east coast. Just need to get some gang boxes and a few spare sets of teeth. I don't want any gear to be visible, except the grinder.

I'm getting all my ducks in a row to chase with the grinder next year. Not texas, but if we have one close on the east coast. Just need to get some gang boxes and a few spare sets of teeth. I don't want any gear to be visible, except the grinder.

So what you do is drive there and park with a sign or what?

Check out my thread in the heavy equipment section. It has a lot of photos of how my trailer is set up:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=69653

I have seen It Scott. I just prefer to keep everything out of eyesight. I carry 100 gallons of diesel and a couple of saws, blower,spare filters, teeth grease and gas and oil. Food tent and about a week and a half of clothes.

I might take my climbing gear and light rigging just in case.

I have seen It Scott. I just prefer to keep everything out of eyesight. I carry 100 gallons of diesel and a couple of saws, blower,spare filters, teeth grease and gas and oil. Food tent and about a week and a half of clothes.

I might take my climbing gear and light rigging just in case.

I had all of the above and the only thing not locked was my water cooler and the extra gas tanks I took when I went to TX. The 3, 5 gallon tanks I have are locked.

And now I have an Ecxursion instead of just my Durango so I can throw even more inside and still have it locked and out of sight.

2008-11-11005.jpg

Did you get a diesel? Seems Like those blowovers would dull out teeth pretty quick grinding all that dirt.

Yeah, I was talking about rigging gear for easy tree trimming. Not going to get into any big takedowns on the road. But I might run across a broken limb or an easy trim that the td crews didn't want to faulk with.

I have a guy here sharpening mine for 1.50 per tooth. I figured taking 2 full sets plus and two sets of fronts on top of that. I need to get 2 screens made up.

Are you heading to any ice storms?

Teeth

Don't sharpen, it ruins the tooth body. Send them to me for re-tipping with good hard carbide. Cheap

I can get two good sharpens out before getting into the body. I'll keep it in mind though.

Don't sharpen, it ruins the tooth body. Send them to me for re-tipping with good hard carbide. Cheap

How much to retip Sandvic teeth?

i really doubt it's cheaper to retip than it is to sharpen them. I can sharpen them up to 4 times at least. (Haven't had them long enuf to need more.) My next door neighbor sharpens, sand blasts, and runs them through a die if the threads are buggered for $3 each.

None of my broken teeth can really be retipped because I didn't catch them right when they broke and the carbide bed was compromised.

I went through about $150 worth of teeth sharpening in the $9,000 that I made. (Basically one full set and a few broken ones.)
What grinding wheel are you using? I have a Carlton and just switched out the wheel and teeth for an Rhino Wheel with only 4 teeth instead of the 24 on my old one that were EXPENSIVE to replace. Have to say the wheel is everything I was told it was and more. Only 4 teeth to replace, easy to take on and off, cuts so smooth, less resistance on machine, and faster.

Back