Stihl 026 Project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stinkbait

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I got this saw a while back for free. I figured that it needed a basic tune up and it would be good because it had 150psi compression. After I started looking into it more I found that the piston was scored, fuel line rotten, impulse line rotten, intake boot hard and cracked. I pressure tested the saw with the intake off and the muffler sealed up, and the crank seals checked fine. My plans are to clean up the cylinder, port it, and play with it for a little while before selling it. So far I have bought a new piston, intake boot, fuel line & filter, carb kit, impulse line, adjustable auto oiler, 3/8" rim, and a 16" 3/8 bar. After the cost of these new parts I don't know if I will be able to sell the saw for a profit or not. I might just keep it. I'm waiting on the piston to come in the mail so that I can degree the ports.
IMG_20110715_184449.jpg

IMG_20110715_184438.jpg

IMG_20110715_184421.jpg

IMG_20110715_184239.jpg

IMG_20110715_184605.jpg

IMG_20120417_190541.jpg

IMG_20120417_190552.jpg

IMG_20120417_192241.jpg

Does anyone know if there is a nylon mesh air filter available for the older 026 like this? All the ones that I have seen have the extra hole in it for the newer carb on the newer models. I really hate the way these filters are made with the choke built in.

X2 on the mesh filters. I looked them up and get confused.

I bought a 026 that Woodyman rebuilt and ported a bit. Nice saw, the crew loves it. $275 = good deal. New everything

I rebuild many of them each year and find that the original filters are not hard to find but I would like to find a source for mesh filters also.

After I posted my question I did some more reading and searching. Apparently there is only two types. One with a flocked wire mesh and another that uses fleece.

After I posted my question I did some more reading and searching. Apparently there is only two types. One with a flocked wire mesh and another that uses fleece.

That is the only ones I have found also. Both types are available for the early 026`s and the later ones that had the intella carb with the snorkel that needs a filter with the hole that fits over the snorkle.

More Progress

I got my new mahle piston in the mail this week. I opened up the windows some and smoothed everything out.
IMG_20120426_184034.jpg

Intake
IMG_20120426_224137.jpg

IMG_20120426_224143.jpg

IMG_20120426_224153.jpg

Transfers
IMG_20120426_224203.jpg

IMG_20120426_224219.jpg

Exhaust
IMG_20120426_224230.jpg

Final numbers:
Squish - 0.018
Ex. - 98
In. - 80
Trans. - 118
BD - 20

Stock exhaust was already 98, so I left it at that.

IMG_20120426_230926.jpg

Got all the rubber parts needed now. Should have the saw together and running before the end of the weekend.

IMG_20120427_072234.jpg

Got all the rubber parts needed now. Should have the saw together and running before the end of the weekend.

IMG_20120427_072234.jpg

There is a debate about the straight gas line (there are 2 available for the 026). The newer line is a formed line and in my opinion a bit of a pain to install because the grommet is large. I have also found that you can use a 038 gas line on these saws -- it is designed the same as the newer 026 formed line (but it has a tapered area where it will seat easily into your tank assembly) Plus you get the benefit of the line extending to the bottom of the tank.

I love the project, keep posting the pics. This is going to be a very nice saw!

There is a debate about the straight gas line (there are 2 available for the 026). The newer line is a formed line and in my opinion a bit of a pain to install because the grommet is large. I have also found that you can use a 038 gas line on these saws -- it is designed the same as the newer 026 formed line (but it has a tapered area where it will seat easily into your tank assembly) Plus you get the benefit of the line extending to the bottom of the tank.

I love the project, keep posting the pics. This is going to be a very nice saw!

Thanks! When I went to buy the fuel line the guy asked me if I had an early or late model 026 because he said that the hole in the fuel tank was a different size. I took I didn't know which one I needed, so I just took him my tank and he gave me that one. I have no idea what the old line looked like because it had turned to goop.

There is a debate about the straight gas line (there are 2 available for the 026). The newer line is a formed line and in my opinion a bit of a pain to install because the grommet is large.

No real debate about the fuel lines. There are two different sized holes in different era tanks, hence a fuel line for each one. Get the right line for the right tank and it goes in just fine. Get the smaller one for the bigger tank hole and it'll leak. Get the bigger one for the smaller tank hole and tear your hair out trying to install it (or drill out the hole in shear frustration).

:cheers:

I had an old 026 and put the mesh filter on it.More recently,I put the same on my bro in laws and fathers old 026's as well-all the old design.I just walked into my local dealer and told him what i wanted and he threw it on the counter-I don't remember what I paid but I don't recall it being that much..........

While typing this the thought occurred to me I've probably still got the old gauze ones in the bag the new one came in the old parts stash-and I did.The number back then was....

1121 120 1611 AIR FILTER (WIRE MESH)

There are more numbers on the bag but I think that's the part #.If it doesn't work let me know and I'll write them all down.

Last edited:
Got some more done tonight.

New adjustable auto oiler that only oils when drum turns. I had to modify the case for it to fit. There was no hole for the adjustment screw to fit through the bottom of the case.
IMG_20120427_171427.jpg

New drum with 3/8-7 rim.
IMG_20120427_171633.jpg

IMG_20120427_214719.jpg

IMG_20120427_214735.jpg

Made my first dual port muffler. I also completely gutted the inside of the muffler. The paint isn't hight temp, so it will probably burn off instantly.
IMG_20120427_220247.jpg

I still need to do a little work to the recoil. I just stuck it on there for the pics. Igpoe was supposed to have spun me a loop of chain for it today. I hope that I can make some cuts with it tomorrow.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if there is a nylon mesh air filter available for the older 026 like this? All the ones that I have seen have the extra hole in it for the newer carb on the newer models. I really hate the way these filters are made with the choke built in.

Should be able to get them on Ebay or at your dealer. I believe they are still available :msp_biggrin:

Does anyone know if you turn the oiler adjustment screw in for less oil and out for more? Or is it the other way around?

Latest posts

Back