Stihl 028 AV Super - lost a bolt, need some assistance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monaco

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I lost a bolt from my 028AV Super - the bolt that goes into the top rubber buffer (upper left of the main switch.)

I have no idea what that bolt looks like or where to find it. It doesn't appear to come with a new set of buffers.

Also - it now runs off and on without it, I suspect it's being grounded thru that bolt - can anyone confirm? My wires and connectors look ok.

Thanks gentlemen.

odiz54I.jpg

PXBxEbA.jpg

You guys are brilliant - thanks!

And ideas on what seems like a ground issue?

Without that bolt, the saw runs intermittently.

The kill switch is grounded by the wire connected to the bolt directly beneath your arrow. The bolt that holds your top cover on. Be sure that bolt is tight ( t27). I did just repair an 028 with your issues and it turned out that kill wire had rubbed through the insulation and was grounding to the metal on the buffer just above the arrow in your picture.

Thanks - I can see the spot. I'll have a look. Man those old parts are hard to find! Had to get 'em on ebay. Not real cheap for what they are either.

The kill switch is grounded by the wire connected to the bolt directly beneath your arrow. The bolt that holds your top cover on. Be sure that bolt is tight ( t27). I did just repair an 028 with your issues and it turned out that kill wire had rubbed through the insulation and was grounding to the metal on the buffer just above the arrow in your picture.

:yes: very good!

Thanks - I can see the spot. I'll have a look. Man those old parts are hard to find! Had to get 'em on ebay. Not real cheap for what they are either.

My local dealer has been able to get most of the parts I've needed. Recently put together an 041, circa early 1970s, no trouble getting parts.

The 028's had a problem with the insulation on either of the kill switch wires falling off because the tank vent bathes them in gas fumes. I've fixed 3 with intermittent spark because of it. Easy to re-wire (don't buy a new harness--make your own!)

--JC

The 028's had a problem with the insulation on either of the kill switch wires falling off because the tank vent bathes them in gas fumes. I've fixed 3 with intermittent spark because of it. Easy to re-wire (don't buy a new harness--make your own!)

--JC
Thanks, I'll get busy on the new ground. I think I'll post a video of the saw running, it's truly sad. haha

Back