Stihl 028 super troubles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deane Hartford

Super Lost
Reaction score
Long story short I got a 028 super from the old man last week. It stopped running 4 or so years ago. So he took it to the shop he bought it from back in 88. I don't know what the guy did but it ran for awhile after he got it back. Then it just started dying out. dad gave it to me after I asked a couple questions about it.

Found this place looking up the saw, and found a bunch of threads already on this saw with very good information. I already used them to pick up new fuel filter, fuel line, impulse line, air filter and a couple other things. Also have to thank atpchas for the IPL and service manual.

Got into tearing it apart over the weekend. Started just by pulling the air filter, spark plug and muffler. When I looked in the exhaust port I got carried away and went further. There are marks on cylinder and on the piston. I can feel grooves with my finger.

Not being able to post here over the weekend I decide to just forge ahead. I pulled the cylinder of the crank case and noticed a little side to side play in the connecting arm. Not sure if I need a new crank shaft? Not sure if it's a good idea for me to split the case? I'm pretty sure it is going to need new seals. It needs new everything else.

The saw was very dirty so I decided to strip it down to all the basic parts. Everything has been stripped off the case except the fly wheel, clutch and whatever small parts are behind those. I got stuck on the clutch side. The nut holding the clutch on won't budge. I know it's left hand thread Going to try at the shop this week.

The pictures of what I have found are below, and I don't really know what I have found out. First time doing something like this. So if the knowledgeable people here would be kind enough to tell me what they see, besides a dirty saw, it would be a great help.

ETA: Should also add that Dad did start it before I took it, but as soon as it got warmed up it died out.

IMG_4088.JPG

IMG_4090.JPG

IMG_4089.JPG

IMG_4110.JPG

Still more. I know what I'm looking at but don't so I figured the more pictures the better. And the order got a bit out of line here. I also have the oil pump out now. Other than that this is how it sits.
IMG_4143.JPG

IMG_4127.JPG IMG_4123.JPG
IMG_4132.JPG

IMG_4133.JPG

IMG_4151.JPG

IMG_4149.JPG

Thank you. I did put the cylinder back on and stuffed some rope in there as I read on another thread. I will have to check as I didn't notice any radial play, but that doesn't mean anything.

Saw appears to be in good shape. I would clean it well while you have it down. The cylinder is scored and will need cleaned up with muratic acid or a jewelers grinder. Piston will probably have to be replaced. I bag all sub-assemblies to make it easier to reassemble. Are the bearings still smooth with no play or noise? If yu do not have the IPL and shop manual, they would be very helpful. Be careful and measure the bore....those 028 came in three different pist/cyl sizes and you can misorder the piston.

The bearings for the crank shaft seemed to operate smoothly when turning it by hand. Didn't notice any movement or grinding sensations. I will check it again tonight as I wasn't really looking for that.
I have been washing all parts as I take the saw down. The small pieces all get bagged up, together if they are related. aptchas hooked me up in the beg for manuals thread. I will make sure to get a measurement on the piston and cylinder before ordering a new piston.

Do these saws have an oil filter in them, and would it be a good idea to take down the oil pum? I haven't found one yet.

I know the sprocket needs to be replaced after checking it out and seeing what the manual says, would replacing it with a rim setup be worthwhile for an occasional user?

I have some other questions that have escaped me at the moment. Thank you all again.

Got the fly wheel and clutch off tonight. The bearings for the crank shaft seem fine. Answered my own question about the oil filter, but came up with a new. How likely is it that oil line is cracked, is it a big deal if it is?

Cleaning up the case on this saw is going to take a while everything in the clutch area is pretty nasty. Found a couple parts that I'm not sure if they need to be replaced. The washer between the clutch and crank seal has indentations from the clutch in it. Doesn't seem like a big deal and I could smooth them out with some light buffing. The washer that sits next to the clutch cover is bent somewhat and has also caused the clip that holds it to be slightly bent. This bent washer seems to be a little more important but I'm not sure it matters.

I'm going to continue cleaning.

Clean up your cylinder, go slow and easy. Purchase a very nice Meteor piston, or if you are so inclined
you may search high and low and find a new old stock one somewhere. The 028 supers are great saws
and very rugged. In our area the farmers used them for years cutting firewood, and cleaning out fence rows. I had one, and wish I had never sold it. Properly maintained they will work, and last!

Thats deffinatly a super 46 mm piston dome top i have a 028 now i working on i bought a oem p/c off ebay was supose to be a super the pic showed a dome top but when it came in it was a 44mm im not that bent out of shape ill use it on a woodboss i have that has the old 42 mm top end

The 028 Super is a good saw and worth fixing up. It is the most powerful of that series. You for sure will need a piston and rings at minimum. Sounds like you dove right in! Great way to learn. You'll wind up with a robust and reliable saw when you get done.
Regarding your question of a spur sprocket or rim/drum set up, I'd probably go with the rim/drum as the difference in price isn't that much and it gives some options in the future.

I understand you have the manual, but do you also have the parts listing? It should help alot with what goes where. If you need a copy I have the 028av IPL, send me an email address and I will forward you a copy.

I have been sent the IPL and as you say it has been very valuable in this process. Showing how things stack up and finding part numbers.

Thank you everyone for the information that has been posted up in this thread. I think this is one of the more helpful forums I have been on.

Cleaned the case up fairly decent over the last hour or two. Still needs some work around the cylinder, tomorrow night. Only have the seals and piston left to remove and then it will be time to install new parts.

I'm really enjoying working on this saw. Can't wait till the parts come in. I don't know if you can have too many pictures so her are some more.

IMG_4153.JPG
IMG_4158.JPG
IMG_4162.JPG
IMG_4171.JPG
IMG_4173.JPG
IMG_4177.JPG

Latest posts

Back