Stihl 038 Magnum II overhaul

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spydrdrvr

Reaction score
I purchased a Stihl 038 Magnum II from and auction along with a Stihl trimmer for $50. I needed a good chainsaw to take down about 4 decent sized trees and do some limbing on some others. I knew that I would be overhauling any used chainsaw I purchased anyways and since I know my dad always bought Stihl's I figured it would be good. After purchasing this saw, I started to do some research on it. I found that this is a pretty dang good saw.

It was pretty dirty and the fuel was old so I started to clean it up and see exactly what I had and what I would need. The original Bing carb looks pretty good, but I pulled it do either replace or rebuild. The filter looks new and so does the spark plug.

I'm looking for some advice as to whether I should take this all the way down and do a total overhaul on everything with new gaskets and seals everywhere, or if I should just take it down as far as I have and do the basics. I'm attaching some pics for some input.

Attachments

• IMG_3820.JPG
    IMG_3820.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3818.JPG
    IMG_3818.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3822.JPG
    IMG_3822.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3826.JPG
    IMG_3826.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3830.JPG
    IMG_3830.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 29
Here are some more pics.

Attachments

• IMG_3812.JPG
    IMG_3812.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3844.JPG
    IMG_3844.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3847.JPG
    IMG_3847.JPG
    1,004.1 KB · Views: 22
pretty tough saw. Take it down to what you have. Try the carb without a rebuild. the new gaskets and diaphragms are not as good as the old oem ones (this is from experience)

I rebuilt a truly ruined one. Still has the original crank seals and crank. The bing carb is a very good carb. And mine still has what looks like un tampered original inners.

The files attached are of my 038 mag. Took me ages to get a used OEM cylinder for it. It is finally done.

Attachments

• IMAG1034.jpg
    IMAG1034.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20170330_231303_111.jpg
    639.9 KB · Views: 10
Thanks for the info! I did take the carb off. I'm going to shoot it with carb cleaner before I put it back on. I'll put some fresh mix and new oil in and see how she runs. Should I use the true Stihl oil for the mix or does it really matter as long as I use good oil?

BTW, that's an ice saw you have there!

Thanks, I love using it and it will hopefully not be a shelf queen and see a fair few more years of use.

I have always stuck to Stihl oil as it is always available and I know it is fine. Others will probs have their own views. This is the trashed shell of a saw that is atarted with (see file). Once it was all together it started very easily with the carb set at 1 turn out from seated for the high and low. I have ported and modded the saw since so I have no idea what it is set at now. But 1 and 1 for both got it started really easily. It is very torquey and I don't think I will ever get rid of it.

Attachments

• IMAG01.jpg
    IMAG01.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 14
Sounds great! I will get the carb cleaned this weekend and see how she runs! I'm looking forward to having a good dependable saw for sure.

Latest posts

Back