Stihl 038 Magnum II Repair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ideal_trucks

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was given an 038 Magnum II that has several issues. It needs: top handle with the throttle lock, bar cover, air filter, air filter cover, fuel tank vent, and AV bushings.
I haven't checked compression, but did take muffler off and look at cylinder and didn't see any scaring, and fired it up for a few seconds. It does run.
I have a few questions. First, I've looked for the handle top cover, and it isn't real cheap. I can get a whole handle from china, with the top cover and filter for like $30. Is the original Stihl handle that much better for that much of a savings?
What size is the fuel vent hose? The ones I see online are about $10 for a couple inches of hose. The 2 screws in mine are still there.
What should compression be when I check it? Anything else I should look out for? I don't want to get more in the saw than it's worth.

Post a picture of saw to show missing parts
There’s OEM stuff on eBay in various conditions
Depends on what your into and your budget
I’d say 130-150 ish
Old saw. Maybe rings
I have a couple 038 Mags and 028s and some parts
I’ll check

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of the AM tanks are bad for this series. The Farmertec tank from Huztl is the best of the lot, but they’re not oem quality due to the plastic quality and their potential for leaking at the seams. Oem only for the air filter due to the finicky choke mechanism. Some handles are sold as working for 038s but don’t line up and/or are easy to bend. Again, used oem is best here.
The tank vent is conventional fuel line with grub screws. The other option is trying to use an echo style vent with a piece of line. It’s tight in the carb box to use ‘em but they’re better than grub screws.

i havent used any aftermarket handles or parts with my 038 super, however with other saws they are cheap and work....with a little tinkering. i bought a farmertec 660 handle and the trigger would turn the choke lever to the off position. figured it out. I mean if the engine is good on that 038 i wouldn't hesistate trying a cheap handle and some AV bushings and what not to get it going again.

fuel vent line- i cant recall what i used

compression after rebuild was 185 with my base gasket removed. id guess 155-165 ish with a gasket
comperession anywhere 130 and up will be ok.

Attached are some pictures of the saw. I'm going to check the compression this evening to make sure it's good

Attachments

• IMG_20200406_134341656_TOP.jpg
    IMG_20200406_134341656_TOP.jpg
    927.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20200406_134355773_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200406_134355773_HDR.jpg
    1,011.4 KB · Views: 13
... and when those are not available; throw the damn dinosaur in the trash bin for God sake!

I've got a few runners and a few trash bins. Robbing the trash bins is productive, rather than getting chi-com NEW trash......,

The runners are better than 90% solid now.

I can fix mine. I have oem parts. rubber seals etc.........no chinesium $#!t.

When I die, it will be after You, and my 038s to my kin, stihl running, when the little huskavarmints are dead and buried.

I just checked compression and was reading 120 with my cheap gauge. I checked a couple ofmy good running 028s for reference and had 110. Seems like my gauge might be reading a bit low?

I was given an 038 Magnum II that has several issues. It needs: top handle with the throttle lock, bar cover, air filter, air filter cover, fuel tank vent, and AV bushings.
I haven't checked compression, but did take muffler off and look at cylinder and didn't see any scaring, and fired it up for a few seconds. It does run.
I have a few questions. First, I've looked for the handle top cover, and it isn't real cheap. I can get a whole handle from china, with the top cover and filter for like $30. Is the original Stihl handle that much better for that much of a savings?
What size is the fuel vent hose? The ones I see online are about $10 for a couple inches of hose. The 2 screws in mine are still there.
What should compression be when I check it? Anything else I should look out for? I don't want to get more in the saw than it's worth.
The China handles fit but they don’t match up normally, so what you get is a Frankenstein looking mess of crap. If you are not concerned about looks it will work. Most of them are built to fit a 380-381 which is a newer saw and has totally different plastic.

Latest posts

Back