stihl 038 magnum or husqvarna 372xp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volks-man

Arboristsite.com Spooner
Reaction score
i have been thinking of a bigger saw for quite a while for the occasional big tree i see round here.

the two saws i have been concidering are the stihl 038 avme and the husqvarna 372xp.
i have always been facinated with the 038 magnum (and magnum II).
i have read nothing but good things about the 372xp (old or the new 75cc).

the two saws are of comparable size and weight, i believe. money aside wich would be better at pulling a 24-30 bar for the occasional big tree?

example: i have a maple to drop for my boss that is 36-40" dbh. also i have cut a few red oaks the ms361 20" just barely cut in one pass.

anyone who has run both?

I really love 038s, but unless you find a Mag locally, they bring ridiculous prices on ebay, especially for a clean one. Maybe thall can hook you up with one.

The 372 will beat the 038mag in the cut. They are a stand out saw.

Either way you go, you will have an amazing saw.

Without a doubt- 372XPW all the way...I keep building and using these and they keep being absolutely fabulous saws...

jacob,
i appreciate your input.
out west you guys have a lot of soft wood. would there be any difference in hardwood? was once told by our own thall, "038 magnum had torque out the wazoo!".

The 038 Mag does have the torque, and I've run one in the woods and on the fireline. The good thing about the 038 is its tank-like construction. Those things will take a serious beating. With how thick the crankcase is, they'll shed heat all day long. We've had 038 Magnums last 16 years on a landing here.

Even in hardwoods though, the 372XPW is going to have the edge. It's a newer engine design (but not much newer than older saws that also had partial-loop quad transfer ports such as the Pioneer P-62 and some of the Homelites, difference being reed vs. open induction) and it just flat out has the power.

For your application I don't see you running your saw straight out for ten-twelve hours a day and needing the tank-like body of the 038. Plus, they're heavy.

038 MAG is a great saw no doubt.

but the 372 is lighter,faster,has better air filtration,and most important of all,new factory parts are still and will be for some time be available.

i have been thinking of a bigger saw for quite a while for the occasional big tree i see round here.

the two saws i have been concidering are the stihl 038 avme and the husqvarna 372xp.
i have always been facinated with the 038 magnum (and magnum II).
i have read nothing but good things about the 372xp (old or the new 75cc).

the two saws are of comparable size and weight, i believe. money aside wich would be better at pulling a 24-30 bar for the occasional big tree?

example: i have a maple to drop for my boss that is 36-40" dbh. also i have cut a few red oaks the ms361 20" just barely cut in one pass.

anyone who has run both?

I gotem both Volks. Those two saws are so different its hard to compare them. The 372 is much more modern, higher reving and lighter. The 038 is heavier, relies more on torque than high reving, more of a older type saw. Speed wise the 372 is faster, built wise the 038 wins easily and thats why you see so many old old 038's outthere still running and why they fetch big dollars used, they are well known for lasting and lasting as is the little brother to it, the 028.

That 038 I showed in the pic has very very low hours on it. Hell the machine rings on the piston show no wear signs at all. I doult that saw has 20 hours on it base on the overall condition of the saw, its almost in new like condition. It runs very very strong.

As for which to get if your buying used you can probably get a good used 372 cheaper than you can get a good used 038 but not at my house. If one had to leave the shed the 372 would be packing its bags, that 038 isn't going anywhere,LOL

volks, jacob gave you some good real world advice, can't beat that

I gotem both Volks. Those two saws are so different its hard to compare them. The 372 is much more modern, higher reving and lighter. The 038 is heavier, relies more on torque than high reving, more of a older type saw. Speed wise the 372 is faster, built wise the 038 wins easily and thats why you see so many old old 038's outthere still running and why they fetch big dollars used, they are well known for lasting and lasting as is the little brother to it, the 028.

That 038 I showed in the pic has very very low hours on it. Hell the machine rings on the piston show no wear signs at all. I doult that saw has 20 hours on it base on the overall condition of the saw, its almost in new like condition. It runs very very strong.

As for which to get if your buying used you can probably get a good used 372 cheaper than you can get a good used 038 but not at my house. If one had to leave the shed the 372 would be packing its bags, that 038 isn't going anywhere,LOL
thanks for the info mr. hall.
i have held a new 372 at the dealer while i was in pa last year. that is the only time i have seen one. he had $700-something on it, so i put it down.
the 038 mag pops up from time to time. my local stihl dealer had one sittin on the floor last winter. he said it may be a trade in. i left my name and number.... he never called.
bought for even money, i am leaning toward a 372. used availability may turn the tables though.

Last edited:
One thing to think about is the fact that a like-new or near new 038 will probably last you the rest of your natural life, with occasional cutting, and your grandkids will be able to use it (not that they'll want to).

thanks for the info mr. hall.
i have held a new 372 at the dealer while i was in pa last year. that is the only time i have seen one. he had $700-something on it, so i put it down.
the 038 mag pops up from time to time. my local stihl dealer had one sittin on the floor last winter. he said it may be a trade in. i left my name and number.... he never called.
bought for even money, i am leaning toward a 372. used availability may turn the tables though.

Well 700.00 is around the right price for the 372. Since online sales were stopped by Husky those saws are being priced more fairly across the board now. The 372 is a good running saw, can't knock how it runs at all. If you can find one in decent shape or even new they are considered Husky's flagship saw. It has a huge following...

Well 700.00 is around the right price for the 372. Since online sales were stopped by Husky those saws are being priced more fairly across the board now. The 372 is a good running saw, can't knock how it runs at all. If you can find one in decent shape or even new they are considered Husky's flagship saw. It has a huge following...

i wanna say it was $765.00, but i am not sure.

i will not spend 700 beans. not gonna happen.

the saw i get must be a used saw (or stolen and cheap:) ).
whatever happened to that basket case 038 mag you had this time last year?
is the 372 you speak of 'mr.drippy'?

I have a shed with a pile of 038,super, superIIs,mags had them since the 038 first came out in 1981-82. Good tough old design for its day but it graduated into a farm saw. When I bought my first 064 in 1986 it was the same weight or lighter then the 038 mag, 72 cc versus 85cc, the 72cc 038 became a memory.Now with my new Husky 372 XP I reserve it as my main saw in my business and the old 038s are still in the shed. :)

i wanna say it was $765.00, but i am not sure.

i will not spend 700 beans. not gonna happen.

the saw i get must be a used saw (or stolen and cheap:) ).
whatever happened to that basket case 038 mag you had this time last year?
is the 372 you speak of 'mr.drippy'?

765.00 is also a very fair price for the 372. If I were Husky I would price the 372 right in line with the 441-460, somewhere around 850.00, thats what it should be selling for base on the same cc from the competition. I don't understand Husky pricing at all.

That basket case 038, the man said do whatever it needs, money is no object. I fixed it all up and he paid his billed. Thats one of the odd things I find all the time with 038 and 028 owners. They for whatever reason will not part with them, they rather keep em going after many many years of use. Hell I would rather buy a new saw buy they won't, do whatever it needs is all they ever say. I had a 028 come in year before last that was so worn out I myself wouldn't had put a penny in it, the saw was beat to hell. Everything that could wear out had worn out. Owner said I don't givea f-ck what it costs make it like new. I did. His bill was high, he never batted a eye. In fact he came back later that year and said many thanks, my 028 is running like new, I told him it should be, every dayumm thing in it is new,LOL

I have a shed with a pile of 038,super, superIIs,mags had them since the 038 first came out in 1981-82. Good tough old design for its day but it graduated into a farm saw. When I bought my first 064 in 1986 it was the same weight or lighter then the 038 mag, 72 cc versus 85cc, the 72cc 038 became a memory.Now with my new Husky 372 XP I reserve it as my main saw in my business and the old 038s are still in the shed. :)

Ya got any 038's in real good shape Homie, Volk may buy one from ya, hell your not gonna use em anymore, sell him one on the cheap,:cheers: :cheers:

keep me in mind when you clean out the shed!

Latest posts

Back