Stihl 064 ... highest power to weight of any big saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have to do all that I think it would just be easier to get a 660. That way everything is stock and you don't have to worry about any issues down the line. :cheers: The 064 and 066/660 are pretty much the same saws correct? if so the 066/660 is simply an improved 064. Am I correct in assuming this?

BTW Hi Brad!:D

Hi Andre:) Playing with the 064 is fun simply due to the reduced weight. If all you want is the power, then sure, buy a 066/660. I just think its fun to have 99cc of power in a power head that only weighs a few ounces more than a 046. That's all.

If you have to do all that I think it would just be easier to get a 660. That way everything is stock and you don't have to worry about any issues down the line. :cheers: The 064 and 066/660 are pretty much the same saws correct? if so the 066/660 is simply an improved 064. Am I correct in assuming this?

BTW Hi Brad!:D

066/660 new, but not improved haha. 064 doesnt carry much weight difference, but does feel smaller, more nimble. I think mostly because of the thin recoil cover. Wasnt it you that had that screaming 064 a while back? I thought it was, whoever it was that had it... it sure was a good sounding/ running saw!

In my search for another 064 to build myself, I ended up with two. The one being sold I just listed on eBay, LINK. If interested, PM me and maybe we can work a deal for you.

1177590694_NcqEo-M.jpg

1177590998_B3ftz-M.jpg

1177591140_YcCJU-M.jpg

It was my vid but not my saw. It was a great running saw, just not my style.:cool2:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gW3pKVAMfRA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
That's when we couldn't hardly get it away from Andre:) He's just a Dolmar snob and won't admit it now:hmm3grin2orange:

Thats the one... Style my butt, I can tell you are are smiles running that thing without ever seeing your face! Closet Stihl lover hahaha

I know nothing.:msp_rolleyes:

066/660 new, but not improved haha. 064 doesnt carry much weight difference, but does feel smaller, more nimble. I think mostly because of the thin recoil cover. Wasnt it you that had that screaming 064 a while back? I thought it was, whoever it was that had it... it sure was a good sounding/ running saw!

Funny you say that, I put an 064 and MS440 crankcases next to one another. The length and width were close to the same. But the 064 crankcase is a bit taller.

Have any of you guys had trouble with the BB rings or pistons from Baileys? I'm looking to do a BB on my 064 and was wondering about ring/piston options ... I'd heard the rings weren't great, but that was some time ago...

nice video, nice job Brad ... man that 064 was flying!!!!

Last edited:
No saw is the best saw ever built period.

You guys sure have your Stihl goggles on in this thread.:hmm3grin2orange:

Yup, I like my Stihl goggles (actually it's a face shield). Since I buy and use older saws, it's just a matter of availablity. I can't seem to find any other brand of saw that runs as long and hard as my old Stihls. :hmm3grin2orange:

I could never afford the sticker shock for a new Stihl saw, but I only have about $725 wrapped up in all three of mine total, and I paid too much for the 024 because it came with 4 new 18" RSC chains. :)

I had an 064 several years ago. It didn't seem like it was doing anything the 460 couldn't do as fast or better except run a 36" bar. It was kinda slow at that in hardwood. It was bone stock and ran good. I sold it off to a friend and he has run it maybe 3 times in 5 years. They do have good power to weight but stock for stock I would say a 7900 is right with it in the power department and a bit lighter.

Back