Stihl 076 Rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Justin, I fear you have just about confused us all :laughing:

So to confirm, you brought an 076 turns out to be an 051. You have 2 other 051’s in different states of condition. None of the saws match and you can’t decide which to rebuild?

Go for the good compression but no spark.
Hi Mate,

Yes correct. The 076 turned out to be 051. And yes I have including the one I just got 3 different types if 051 (parts) chainsaws. 2 have the oil filler on the top of the case, the other has it on this side. And 1 of them has a decompression valve while the other 2 have not.

I have decied to use the 051 that has a damaged case and is also the saw that has a decompression button as well.

Justin

Hi Mate,

Yes correct. The 076 turned out to be 051. And yes I have including the one I just got 3 different types if 051 (parts) chainsaws. 2 have the oil filler on the top of the case, the other has it on this side. And 1 of them has a decompression valve while the other 2 have not.

I have decied to use the 051 that has a damaged case and is also the saw that has a decompression button as well.

Justin
Nice, keep the thread going with update pics! Good luck with the build :)

Was the saw with no spark, the points set up by any chance? If so, that probably would have been your easiest repair. A quick file and they’ll often spark again. Give it a go.
You are correct, the 1 with points was the one without spark, but after removing the flywheel and doing nothing , and i mean nothing, not even checking points gap or cleaning just simply loooking at the working internals and reassembling the flywheel it now has spark.

But here is the real issue. After disassembling the 2nd Stihl 051 and getting everything in order I started to clean the cylinder and to make sure there was no grease on the outside before I started sand blasting it only to notice there was a mark on the inside.
At first it looked like almost nothing. But after a good clean you can clearly see the mark. You can feel the mark underneath your finger if you rub over it and definitely if u rub your nail over it.

The cylinder on the LH is the one that has the decompression valve.

Not sure what to do, maybe I should take it to my machine shop and get them to look at it ?

Justin

Attachments

• 20210427_203535_resized.jpg
    20210427_203535_resized.jpg
    344.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210427_210745_resized.jpg
    20210427_210745_resized.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 15
You are correct, the 1 with points was the one without spark, but after removing the flywheel and doing nothing , and i mean nothing, not even checking points gap or cleaning just simply loooking at the working internals and reassembling the flywheel it now has spark.
Give the points a clean and set the gap. Work on that saw if the plating is good unlike the one you showed with the damaged plating.

I am really not sure. The Piston out of the 2nd 051 is perfect, not a mark on it. But I think you are correct a small piece for the plating has come off the cylinder and there is no reason why it should of. I could understand if the piston was damaged but the piston is perfect. I will get photo's pf the piston tonight.

I can work on the saw that now has spark all of a sudden, but looking down into the carby ( I have not removed it ) the piston does seem to have marks up and down it.

Justin

So i dropped the 051 cylinder off today to the machine to get an expert opinion on that mark in the cylinder. They did have a good look at it and there expert opinion was " as long as it's not a everyday operation saw it should be fine"

I cannot tell you how happy I was to hear that. I should get it back Tuesday. I will start the cleaning process over the weekend.

Justin

So this weekend i decided to give the wife a hand in the yard instead of spending time in the shed.

Whoever said working on and restoring chainsaw was dangerous. I think helping the wife is just as dangerous.

I stepped backward out of the garden and fell over the dog. Badly dislocated finger and a trip to the hospital.

Attachments

• 20210502_124206_resized_1.jpg
    20210502_124206_resized_1.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210502_124052_resized.jpg
    20210502_124052_resized.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Resized_20210502_150817_resized.jpeg
    Resized_20210502_150817_resized.jpeg
    115.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210502_143452_resized_1.jpg
    20210502_143452_resized_1.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 12
So this weekend i decided to give the wife a hand in the yard instead of spending time in the shed.

Whoever said working on and restoring chainsaw was dangerous. I think helping the wife is just as dangerous.

I stepped backward out of the garden and fell over the dog. Badly dislocated finger and a trip to the hospital.
****! I didn’t want to see that :oops:

heal up bud!! Sorry to hear of the injury :(

Back