Stihl 1106

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j2macd

Reaction score
I have purchased an 1106 Stihl saw from a person cleaning out a family members barn. The top plate is missing so that will be on the list of things that will need to be addressed. Because my experience stems from much newer models, I have a copy of the service manual for the 070-090 version saws that shows the 1106 and the 1109 as sub models. My question is how much different are these saws are from each other. I know that the cylinder and pistons are different, and from what I have read on the forum that there were gear reduction boxes that could be added/converted. The piston and rings are in good shape, and the jug seems in good shape, I will be doing a leak down test to make sure, but if they are shot, what can be done to repair or upgrade these units. I know that porting/polishing are popular, but must be done carefully. Am I overthinking the unit, or should I but her back together, paint her up and start every once in a while just to keep myself in good shape and forget actually using it ?

Latest posts

Back