• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Peak Industries

stihl 170 mod

abs111999

abs111999

ArboristSite Operative
I notice the tensioner screw on the small 170 loosens up alot. I have the regular screw type. Is it hard to change
it to a side style....like my old 034.
THe 170 is a fun little saw....starts SO easy..they must have learned some stuff since the 1980s.

Jasonrkba

Jasonrkba

Addicted to ArboristSite
Are you talking about the chain adjuster? If so it is only to set chain tension while the bar nuts are loose. The bar nuts sandwich the bar to keep the tension.

You can modify it with the tensioner thats used on the ms250.

jltrent

jltrent

ArboristSite Guru
I always put a little blue thread locker on those. It does not lock the threads but makes them stiff enough to were they want vibrate lose as easy.

trains

trains

Firewood hack
The adjuster from a ms250 will fit right in, I did it to my 180, its the same chassis.
got a fleacebay chinga one to prove concept, works a treat, side adjustment for the win.

your welcome.

abs111999

abs111999

ArboristSite Operative
There are many cheap ones on Ebay...I want one that works...! any links to one that has worked good for you..thanks

Spoon Carving With Tom

Spoon Carving With Tom

Addicted to ArboristSite
I made this mod and I wouldn’t change back. Part number you need is 1123 007 1000 :) easy to do too. I got the genuine stihl part for about 36 dollars Aussi. It’s quite expensive, but worth it as I don’t have 3 arms and a giraffe’s neck to get the other chain tensioner to work to well... all kidding aside, it is more convenient and it just slots in wth a self tapping t27 screw.

abs111999

abs111999

ArboristSite Operative
I got the 7 dollar item on Ebay. COMPLETE GARBAGE. Pinion is crap,assembly is crap and screw travel is ****.Another piece of chinese crap.
You would think they would care that their products are dogshit 90% of the time.
I told Ebay I want a refund. I'll live with the stock tensioner.

trains

trains

Firewood hack
I must have gotten a rare good one, still it was only to prove that it did indeed fit, and work.
Like I previously mentioned, get a stihl one, you have even been given the part number for it too.

problem solved.