STIHL 200T Crankshaft Endplay / Horizontal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparkatola

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
What is allowable horizontal end play for a STIHL 200T? By that I mean one end of the shaft to the other in and out of the case, not typical side to side. I picked up a couple of these in a huge lot of equip, both have probably a 32nd or horizontal end play. I'm not very familiar with these or the old clamshell case styles in general so, looking for any info I can find.

About to pressure test the cases, trying to find detail on them, see what parts I'll need and if it's better to part them out. Is this fairly normal for these older saws or am I looking at new bearings, seals, new saws? Hoping I can avoid cracking open the cases but, for the price I paid, whatevah! : D

Thanks!!

Some degree of side to side play is normal as they use roller bearings, not ball bearings. Not a clamshell design, either. Worth fixing up depending on your ability, but don't use aftermarket parts except for maybe the plastics. They'll bring a good price if properly rebuilt. But if you decide to part them out or sell em as is, drop me a note. I'll rebuild those rascals all day long. Hard to find decent used ones in my neck o' the woods and I see ads for clapped out junk ones asking $500. Ridiculous.

And check over in the 'Beg for Manuals' thread for an IPL and shop manual. I'm sure someone will hook you up in short order.

Some degree of side to side play is normal as they use roller bearings, not ball bearings. Not a clamshell design, either. Worth fixing up depending on your ability, but don't use aftermarket parts except for maybe the plastics. They'll bring a good price if properly rebuilt. But if you decide to part them out or sell em as is, drop me a note. I'll rebuild those rascals all day long. Hard to find decent used ones in my neck o' the woods and I see ads for clapped out junk ones asking $500. Ridiculous.

And check over in the 'Beg for Manuals' thread for an IPL and shop manual. I'm sure someone will hook you up in short order.

Yeah I've just never noticed this much back and forth play on a crank. They both passed the pressure test though, so back together they go!

Thanks for the feedback guys, very much appreciated.

Latest posts

Back