Stihl Contra Info Sharing Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did see this parts earlier. Checked the ipl and found its the same part.

Contacted 5 spare parts suppliers and no one could deliver.
The governor parts obtained from Saegenspezi worked well. I now need to know if the metal starter ring can be removed from the starter cup and replaced. I've removed plastic starter rings on other saws but never a metal one. If they can be removed what is the best way to do it?

The governor parts obtained from Saegenspezi worked well. I now need to know if the metal starter ring can be removed from the starter cup and replaced. I've removed plastic starter rings on other saws but never a metal one. If they can be removed what is the best way to do it?

Yes it can be removed. Saegenspezi sells replacement rings. Complete NOS/new OEM assemblies (fan including cup and ring) aren't that expensive, either. I think I paid around $35 for one. Saegenspezi probably sells replacement assemblies, too, for a fraction of the cost of OEM.

As for how to remove it, there has to be a fairly easy way, but I just went after it with some Kroil, a punch, hammer, screwdriver, snips, etc. If you had a slide hammer setup that would probably be the best route, but then you'd have to put the starter cup in a vise, and I think it would deform fairly easily.

Scott

Yes it can be removed. Saegenspezi sells replacement rings. Complete NOS/new OEM assemblies (fan including cup and ring) aren't that expensive, either. I think I paid around $35 for one. Saegenspezi probably sells replacement assemblies, too, for a fraction of the cost of OEM.

As for how to remove it, there has to be a fairly easy way, but I just went after it with some Kroil, a punch, hammer, screwdriver, snips, etc. If you had a slide hammer setup that would probably be the best route, but then you'd have to put the starter cup in a vise, and I think it would deform fairly easily.

Scott
Thanks for info. Had already purchased a new ring just wasn't sure about taking out old one. A hammer and screwdriver worked well.

Working on another Contra but this one has some damage to the cylinder bore just above the exhaust. The coating is off in two small areas. So I'm looking for a cylinder for a standard 1106. If anyone has a usable one they are willing to sell let me know. If I not able to locate one I will have to see about recoating.

Can you post a pic of the damage?
Ebay Germany for cylinders.

my dealer and i were having a chat about 070/090 clutch and flywheel weight differences and how it effects the longevity and performance.

he said there were few instances where AM flywheel which had more weight than OEM and that gave the saw more low end, but snapped the crankshaft due to imbalances between crank and flywheel ?

we agreed with the heavier flywheel coupled with 090 clutch will be more balanced and will make way more power at low end, not sure how far the difference is in the wood though

Working on another Contra but this one has some damage to the cylinder bore just above the exhaust. The coating is off in two small areas. So I'm looking for a cylinder for a standard 1106. If anyone has a usable one they are willing to sell let me know. If I not able to locate one I will have to see about recoating.

Recoating your cylinder at www.uschrome will cost around $200-.In time you should be able to find a 106 cylinder at a better price.

As a footnote, don't try running 58x1.5mm 070 rings in your Contra, the correct 58x2mm Contra rings are available online.

I have four Contra's apart now and slowly putting them back together. Instead of one at a time, I'm doing assembly line fashion, which gives me a better opportunity to compare the bits from different saws.

I'm working on the flywheel side case halves now -- noticed a few differences, so I thought I would share.

First, the dowel pins that align the halves are different - either 6 mm or 8 mm in diameter. Second, some halves have three holes drilled through the case. Not sure what they're there for. They're not threaded. See the pic - circled in red.

Casting appears to be the same for the earlier saws, but the latest one I have is lettered different - larger font.

What's odd is that it doesn't make sense when you look at the serial numbers.

100598 - No holes, small 6 mm pins. Small font on part number.

158819 - No holes, small 6 mm pins. Small font.

176143 - No holes, large 8 mm pins. Small font.

187610 - 3 extra holes, large 8 mm pins. Small font.

364797 - 3 extra holes, small 6 mm pins. Large font.

I checked my NOS 070/090 case half - different part number, but it has the 3 extra holes and the small pins.

So, I'm thinking the 3 extra holes was a running change that remained, and the 8 mm pins proved to be a bad idea so they went back to 6 mm.

Scott

2017-04-18 18.23.28.jpg

NTS - I just have one cast cylinder cover. I'll have to check it when I get home.
Scott

Thanks Scott. Between saws & parts I have a half-dozen other 106cc cast tops and none of them are like this. Searching around on the interweb I couldn't find any photos of one like this either. It just seems like this style would have fitment issue because of the air filter. I need to take a moment and try to install it on a Contra, which I should have done first...

Back