Homie XL12 Progress Thread, help?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chainsaw Collectors

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This thread will show my progress on the Homelite XL12 that I just got that belonged to my great grandfather back in the day. It has sat for about 15 years since someone couldn’t get it started. My first problem is the recoil. The rope pulls good and retracts completely and isn’t even very noisy, but does not turn over the engine. I believe the problem is the dawgs/retractors or whatever they’re called. I’m pretty sure they’re supposed to be loose like on my other saws, but they are dry and don’t move easily. Never had this problem before, do I oil them or something?

Attachments

• IMG_7601.jpeg
    IMG_7601.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7602.jpeg
    IMG_7602.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7603.jpeg
    IMG_7603.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
I tried taking the screen off, but one of the nuts bring the stud up with it. Sprayed on PBLaster. T wondering how to proceed.

Attachments

• IMG_7631.jpeg
    IMG_7631.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Looks like we have some minor scoring. This model has a stack muffler. The clutch cover is a weird shape IMO and should cover more.

Attachments

• IMG_7632.jpeg
    IMG_7632.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
One dawg is froze, the other is obviously loose cause the whole stud came out. Never worked on this part of a saw before so any guidance greatly appreciated. Do the springs look broken or should I oil it and hope for the best?

Attachments

• IMG_7634.jpeg
    IMG_7634.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
From that pic the springs look fine. Keep soaking/spraying with WD40 or whatever your flavor of lube/penetrating oil and work it back and forth until it moves freely. Pay close attention to the where the pawls need to be so that the recoil can catch them when you try and start the saw.

From that pic the springs look fine. Keep soaking/spraying with WD40 or whatever your flavor of lube/penetrating oil and work it back and forth until it moves freely. Pay close attention to the where the pawls need to be so that the recoil can catch them when you try and start the saw.
Ok, thanks. I did that and it works now.

Back