Observations & Questions about CRAFTSMAN Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JP56

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My STIHL MS290 was down, so in a bind, I purchased at LOWES, a Craftsman 42cc, 18 inch chainsaw. It has the Model number CMXGSAMY421S on it followed by (41AY421S793) in a few places.

It was a complete Bxxxh to get it started, but I finally got it going & I was doing the work with it, but found the bar very wimpy & too flexible, especially after it started heating up. It started to run so hot, it started melting the plastic casing in a few spots (that houses the brake band, clutch & sprocket, crappy tension adjuster, and useless rubber dust skirt that's supposed to keep saw dust off all the parts under it), and NO I was not running it with the brake on.

I tried adjusting the oil flow a few times, but it seemed it was always either too little or so much, that oil was spraying all over the place & the chains dulled very quick.

The saw came with one bar & 2 chains, stamped craftsman but with an Oregon number on them. So, aggravated, I quit for the day & called the Craftsman phone line that came with it to see if they had a heavier bar & better chains for it, & that's when I knew beyond a doubt that I purchased a big TURD, not a Chainsaw. The service rep spent the first part of the conversation telling me that he could not do anything to help me until I give him the Sears Model #, which would be in the XXX.XXXXX type Sears format, after I explained to him that I had removed every single removable part on the saw looking for the Sears number as he referred to it, but it does NOT exist anyplace on the saw. It ended with me telling him he was as useful as tits on a bull & he should find another line of work, because all he could do was read from the Sears SCRIPT and piss people off. I then tried searching the net for info but only became more enraged over this TURD I bought!

I finally decided to try this forum, & began asking on here about these saws and someone on here suggested that it could be a re-badged Poulan. Then someone mentioned said a Countyline bar & chain combo at Tractor Supply should fit it. So I bought that & the chain worked, but the bar doesn't fit because, the bar is different at the mounting end. It turns out the saw is actually an MTD. I ended up contacting Oregon and they researched and told me that right now, no thicker bars are available for this saw but they might me in the future.

Onto the hard starting & lousy running, I ended up dismantling the saw & checking for Vac leaks, and the only leaks I found were at the carb where it attached to the cylinder head, replaced the gasket & tightened that. I also noticed that for some reason the choke rod was not actually laying in the right position because when they assembled the body cover on they didn't position it where it belonged so it had a slight angle on it and would not engage properly so I re-positioned the choke rods rubber bushing into the molded slots and reassembled it all & it starts & runs great now, no matter how long it sits.

Next the oil pump. I searched every parts site I could find for a replacement oil pump. Cannot find one. Found some barely readable markings on the pump, Peng something & PF43. MTD doesn't even show or list the pump on their site or in their drawings. I found 2 on amazon, one is by Haishine & the other is Asin?, listed as "Drive Chainsaw Oil Pump with Gear Worm Set for Chainsaw 4500 5200 45CC 52CC 58CC Chain Saw. Mine is a 42CC but this is the only one I could find so I ordered it.

While I am waiting for the pump, I decided to mess with the original one. I took it apart, and cleaned it well then reassembled it. I put it back in, ran the saw and oil was just flying out the oiling hole with the adjuster turned as low as it could go. I noticed when I first removed it, that the tiny roll pin that holds the adjusting shaft into the housing, was bent at one end, where it should have hit against a stop when adjusting the oil flow, so that eliminated reusing the pin when reassembling the pump because it was then to short to gram with pliers or to tap with a hammer to put it back in, plus I think it was not put in properly when first assembled, and that's how it bent because it passed between the stop & the shaft when adjusting.

On the worm drive shaft, it appears that the rubber collar in the indent on the shaft was a bit beat up looking so I am guessing that is why the oil just pours through the pump and goes all over the place. I was hoping to find O rings on the shaft so I could replace them, but this looks more like a flat tube shaped collar in the indent, so couldn't replace that. Waiting on the replacement oiler now.

Lastly, had no problem at all, removing the Clutch Assembly to get at the oil pump, and when I reassembled it all to test the pump, everything seemed fine. That is until I revved the saw about 10 times while checking for the oil pressure to come up from the tank to the oil hole at the bar. After the oil began pumping out furiously, as I let go of the throttle, I see something go flying & hit the ground. I hit the off switch, put the saw down the went to look. I see the Clutch Assembly unscrewed from the shaft, flew off & hit the ground in 5 pieces! It was the 3 clutch plates, the ring & spring and the Y shaped center piece that goes between the 3 clutch plates and threads onto the drive shaft. So I reassemble the 5 pieces, and thread it back onto the shaft and am trying to get it tighter this time, and the Y piece with the threaded hole for the drive shaft split in 2 places! Waiting for my NEW clutch assembly now along with my new oil pump.

So much for my OBSERVATIONS, Trials & Tribulations with this CRAFTSMAN Mega TURD I purchased! Now, this brings me to my questions, for anyone still reading:

1) anyone know of any better Oil Pump by name and or part number that might fit this turd?

2) Does anyone know if Anybody makes/sells any kind of wrench or Spanner type wrench that can make tightening the clutch assembly back on and for removal as well?

3) does anyone make/sell a piston stop for this? The rope in the hole thing is really getting annoying.

Clutch Assembly Pic
71q%2BHRkpHQL._SL1000_.jpg

Bar Oil Pump Pics
IMG_20200227_194731697.jpg IMG_20200227_194752894.jpg

Looking forward to responses and other horror stories about these CRAFTSMAN turds made by MTD.IMG_20200227_194731697.jpg
IMG_20200227_194752894.jpg

Your model number is 358.350480 I believe. I have a Sears 4218 that I found in a deserted house 10 years ago. The owner said, "Keep it. She's yours. I'm done with it forever." However, there might be more models that carry the same name, 4218. I have never had any of the troubles you list above. The only thong wrong with mine was that the spark plug wasn't even thumb tight and the owner broke the pull cord trying to stat it.

I usually just block the piston first (nylon rope with knot usually works) and knock the clutch loose with a hammer and a large flat-blade screwdriver. Now, if all else fails, simply buy a new one for about $100 on E-bay, or better yet, buy a better used brand than a Poulan knock off.

I doubt you want to see this, but here's mine:
Craftsman 4218.jpg I have used it on occasion and after reading your post, I started and ran it today. No problems. Your model number is underneath the trigger on the back of the case, left side. It's not easy to read.

Your model number is 358.350480 I believe. I have a Sears 4218 that I found in a deserted house 10 years ago. The owner said, "Keep it. She's yours. I'm done with it forever." However, there might be more models that carry the same name, 4218. I have never had any of the troubles you list above. The only thong wrong with mine was that the spark plug wasn't even thumb tight and the owner broke the pull cord trying to stat it.

I usually just block the piston first (nylon rope with knot usually works) and knock the clutch loose with a hammer and a large flat-blade screwdriver. Now, if all else fails, simply buy a new one for about $100 on E-bay, or better yet, buy a better used brand than a Poulan knock off.

View attachment 802199 I have used it on occasion and after reading your post, I started and ran it today. No problems. Your model number is underneath the trigger on the back of the case, left side. It's not easy to read.
That's a Poulan 4218.

Steve Sidwell

If you got a red crapsman from Lowe's, you bought an mtd Chinese piece of s word. Definitely NOT a craftsman Poulan. Almost the same as the newer Remington mtd saws.

Steve Sidwell
Should have got you an echo.
I'd have to agree with this advise, if still under warranty, see if you can get your money back.
If you are looking for a box store saw, go to Home depot and get an Echo.
It will cost a bit more, but you can throw all the money in the world into the cheap mtd saws and you will still have a garbage saw.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

It's not a bad looking saw. Gets plenty of good reviews at Lowes.com. The only thing I don't like the looks of is the recessed oil filler cap; looks difficult to remove and pour in oil without spilling. On a throw-away saw, you're better off just taking it back if it doesn't do what you want. My Craftsman saw is several years old and it does great. Puts a lot of oil on the B&C, which I like, and the Easy Pull start system works if you do it right. I ended up going with TriLink B&C from the local farm & ranch and it works great. Mine is a Poulan probably.

View attachment 802199 I have used it on occasion and after reading your post, I started and ran it today. No problems. Your model number is underneath the trigger on the back of the case, left side. It's not easy to read.

Your's is older I believe, as the older one's were black & green or all black, & I think your's is the Poulan build. The newer ones like mine are black & red and are MTD builds. Worst thing I have ever tried to find parts for anywhere, including the MTD Parts site. The bar on your's appears to be thicker then the one on mine too. Also, there is no Sears numbering anywhere at all on mine, just a few stick on labels all with the "newer" craftsman numbering followed by the MTD number.

You can forget sears, which I hate they will soon be no more. Got tons of craftsman tools, first and second saw is a Craftsman. Now it's owned by MTD and Stanley Tools. Chinese made stuff that has no quantity control and definitely no quality.

Steve Sidwell

You can forget sears, which I hate they will soon be no more. Got tons of craftsman tools, first and second saw is a Craftsman. Now it's owned by MTD and Stanley Tools. Chinese made stuff that has no quantity control and definitely no quality.

Steve Sidwell
Until I bought this CRAFTSMAN labeled saw, I have not bought anything from Sears in the past 25 years because all there stuff started turning to garbage, long before there demise. I found that out after returning broken tools, which up until then had always been top shelf stuff. They started just giving cheaper versions of what you returned and they were crap. Replaced one of my ratchets with an entry level version & I balked. They said policy has changed & they don't give the comparable quality to what you originally bought. Took the cheapy home and it literally popped apart after a week. Never went back after that.

Have three Sears saws, couldn't find a picture of the 2.8-18.
fb097e93181ee887dacb248981e3cd17.jpg
afe5806373c023f6b0f127cb2a59f948.jpg

Steve Sidwell

My neighbor had a Sears like the Ranger in your pic. I borrowed it once, all metal and a lot of balls. Can't tell the size of your ranger from your pic, but his was a lot smaller, I think it had about a 12" bar. I would have loved to keep that one.

My neighbor had a Sears like the Ranger in your pic. I borrowed it once, all metal and a lot of balls. Can't tell the size of your ranger from your pic, but his was a lot smaller, I think it had about a 12" bar. I would have loved to keep that one.
Mines a 3.7 with a 17" bar. Gobs of compression. It will snatch your arm out of place if you don't use the compression release and it is loud.

Steve Sidwell

I have had several red and grey Craftsman like this and not a lot of complaints with them. Probably a better saw than your 290. THis one has the thin rings, full skip and runs awesome. My first one I bought new at Sears and still have it.

ZuAasOB.jpg
I think that is a rebadged Poulan Countervibe

Back