MS180 Oiler issue. Can it rotate?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenn50

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
First removed bar & chain: not pumping oil. Removed oil intake tube: not plugged or kinked. Removed oiler and it seemed that it had rotated so that the output hole was at 1 o'clock (notch at 7). The output path to the bar was not obstructed. Oiler spiral drive gear is solid on the clutch driven rotation assembly. Reassembled with oiler at 12 (notch on oiler at 6) and it dispensed oil fine.. I can verify the saw was never apart, although not my saw. Lightly used.. Is it possible the saw heated up to the point the olier could rotate since the oiler is not captured? I could not find another solution.

Thankx for your reply. Not sure what hole you are referring to. My saw looks a tad different. I couldn't push the oiler in by hand, I gently tapped it until it bottomed out. Didn't notice any housing cracks anything out of the ordinary, except I was surprised that there was no key, or guide of any kind to prevent pump assembly rotation, and to locate it correctly. Definitely tight. Just wondered if a hot saw would expand the oiler hole.

Attachments

• 20240115_203955.jpg
    20240115_203955.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
It's not common for the oiler to rotate on its own due to heat, but sometimes mechanical components can experience slight shifts. Goof fix, keep an eye on it during future use.

Thankx for your reply. Not sure what hole you are referring to. My saw looks a tad different. I couldn't push the oiler in by hand, I gently tapped it until it bottomed out. Didn't notice any housing cracks anything out of the ordinary, except I was surprised that there was no key, or guide of any kind to prevent pump assembly rotation, and to locate it correctly. Definitely tight. Just wondered if a hot saw would expand the oiler hole.
One I showed was 025 to give a idea what to look for. Your saw looks fine there no damage.

Latest posts

Back