Stihl MS 251 rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomdcoker

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I recently rebuilt the above saw and everything appears to be OK . It cranks 3 to 5 pulls cold, one pull warm, idles forever, responds good to the throttle, but I think the no load WOT is to high and I am having trouble setting it by ear. I can't get it to four cycle and that may be the operators fault.
I tried to crank a pole saw today and had gas running out the carb. After going to the house and letting it set for a while it cranked with one pull when I moved the switch to the on position. So you see why I said the problem may be the operator.
So the point of this run-on is what is the recommended WOT Rpm for the Ms 251? Tom

Here ya go...
ed782ad5d8bff2999c8d133166903ea8.jpg

I have one and I'm pretty sure the coil limits rpm at WOT. It would probably be best to set it with a tach.

I didn't have one so I pulled the carb limiters on mine and turned the H out until rpms came down at WOT, then leaned it out just a little.

Thanks for the replies and information. I believe it is turning more than 13,000, but I will check it with a tachometer tomorrow or Monday. Thanks again. Tom

Latest posts

Back