stihl ms260 and too much bar oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chase

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey gang, picked up preowned 260 with the non adjustable bar oiler and its really putting it out. I've removed tge bar and chain as well as the plastic portion behind that to access and clean everything including what I'm being told is a breather but this thing still puts out the oil. It appears the oil is coming from where its supposed to with no leaks in the hose but just too much oil. I don't think it flows after the saw is stopped but still shows drainage even a day or two later on cardboard placed underneath of the saw. What do you think?

Unless the saw is a PRO model it has the old style oiler (I believe). Which means the saw starts oiling as soon as it is cranked and running. (Unlike the fully adjustable oiler that can be adjusted to oil as desired). Sounds like the residual oil from the side of the case is running down after it is shut off. It is simply draining from around the side of the saw down onto the floor or area where it is stored. There is a simple solution, purchase the adjustable oiler and replace the old one. You should be able to find one fairly easily. There are quite a few parts out there. PM me if you need a source I may have some handy advice. Thanks for posting! :msp_thumbup:

Try cracking the cap before putting it away sometimes it will hold pressure and still push out some oil.

Back