Stihl vs. Husqu

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not arguing fer, or agin, any saw maker.

Statistics. Why don't you guys compare facts, then argue merits of each. No point in arguing opinions.

Husq 372xp : Model Profile: 272XP
Stihl 460magnum: Hmm... Stihl doesn't seem to have their stats available here. Perhaps someone else has this info?

Huq 3120xp: Model Profile: 3120XP
Stihl 088: Hmm... Stihl doesn't seem to have their stats available here. Perhaps someone else has this info?

I cut down two trees today helpin my cousin out he has a Hus 455 rancher that saws been used maybe a half a dozen times at most, he brought it out it wouldnt start then when he got it started and reved it up it wouldnt stay :bang: running just was giving him so many problems. Ive got two stihls both have been through hell and both start and run no prob husq have a higher rpm but are so promblematic. you wanna have a saw last buy a stihl.

Okay I will argue this the other way around, I have 4 huskys, My brother has a stihl EVERY time we go cut he ends up borrowing one of my saws because his won't run right but I KNOW FOR A FACT that it is not that stihl is crap it is because my brother lets the saw sit with old gas and doesn't maintain it.

I'm liking the higher rpm concept. Is there a good husky climber you would suggest?

i cant, i like echo, always have, tho i have never run a husky top handle in a tree, i dont know anyone who runs them and im not going to buy something i dont like the way it feels in the store

I'm like a moth to a flame when it comes to these type of threads. My tagline says I'm a Husky man all the way but that's about to change.
So here's my thoughts on which saws are best.
Convenience - My son in law bent a bar on a Husky. Went to the local Lowes 5 minutes away and picked up a bar that was the exact bar that came on the pro saw. Lowes are everywhere, saw shops in the Dallas area aren't.
Weight & Balance - Swinging around in a tree all day will make you appreciate even a little less weight and a bit better balance.
Production - Pay attention to the chain first and then to the saw it's on. All things considered for me I just want to finish the job and get home safe and sound. Quality chains checked and maintained sharp produce.

Discussing brands of chain saws is like discussing rifles over bullets. It's a lot more glamorous but nowadays the technology is so good that they are all generally in the same ballpark category for cagegory. Nobody discusses bullets like they do guns just like nobody discusses chains like they do saws. One is the platform, the other does the work.

Steve

Not arguing fer, or agin, any saw maker.

Statistics. Why don't you guys compare facts, then argue merits of each. No point in arguing opinions.

Husq 372xp : Model Profile: 272XP
Stihl 460magnum: Hmm... Stihl doesn't seem to have their stats available here. Perhaps someone else has this info?

Huq 3120xp: Model Profile: 3120XP
Stihl 088: Hmm... Stihl doesn't seem to have their stats available here. Perhaps someone else has this info?

Here they are:

Stihl 460:
MS 460 Magnum® Chain Saws - Professional Use Chain Saw | STIHL (little more cc than the 372)

Stihl 880:
MS 880 STIHL Magnum® Chain Saw - Professional Use Chainsaw | STIHL

Dam, I thought for sure I would get a rise out of the husky guys in this thread... You guys are just no fun... Where is Rope in this thread. He always has something comical to add to these threads. :hmm3grin2orange:

Sure! They put up "specifications", but they forgot to mention the no-load top rpm, and the top loaded rpm. In the context of this thread, we can't really debate which turns faster or which has more low end torque.

Although I would like to mention that the 3120 has .6hp (7%) more than the 880, with 2.6cc (2.3%) less displacement. I'll bet it turns faster, too.

Stihl 880 is a pinch lighter: .6 lbs. (1.3%), and carries 2 more ounces of gas.

Last edited:
Sure! They put up "specifications", but they forgot to mention the no-load top rpm, and the top loaded rpm. In the context of this thread, we can't really debate which turns faster or which has more low end torque.

Although I would like to mention that the 3120 has .6hp (7%) more than the 880, with 2.6cc (2.3%) less displacement. I'll bet it turns faster, too.

Stihl 880 is a pinch lighter: .6 lbs. (1.3%), and carries 2 more ounces of gas.

7%, I'm converted.

One thing that I have noticed is the way husky uses the XP(xtra pwr) designation on all of the pro saws they make. I just recently purchased a Ms 441c the first thing I noticed was the Magnum sticker on the plastic. This may sound stupid to some but I think all of Stihl's pro saws should have that logo, they do not put it on the 261 or the 362. The older 026 and 036 had a "Pro" logo on them ,which is better than nothing. Logo's are important marketing tools,I would be willing to bet if they put "magnum" stickers on those two saws they may even sell easier. I remember someone on here had XP stickers they had requested from Husqvarna and were giving away the extras on first come first serve, they were snatched up quick.When I bought my Ms 261 the dealer was trying to tell me the 260 was better because it was a "Pro". Good thing I knew better.

I believe that xp really counts, too. I have a Husqy 357xp and a 359. Pick either one up, and they seem identical. Same weight, shape, and displacement. Start them up, and you become a convert to "XP".

The 357 runs better and has fewer problems. I sure can't tell you why though, 'cause they seem like the same saw.

I believe that xp really counts, too. I have a Husqy 357xp and a 359. Pick either one up, and they seem identical. Same weight, shape, and displacement. Start them up, and you become a convert to "XP".

The 357 runs better and has fewer problems. I sure can't tell you why though, 'cause they seem like the same saw.

XP saws have more bearings, less plastic, are ported different and rev higher

Last edited:
actually....

i cant, i like echo, always have, tho i have never run a husky top handle in a tree, i dont know anyone who runs them and im not going to buy something i dont like the way it feels in the store

I like my t435 in the tree.Love it !

So I bought my first Husky in over 12 years today... Albeit a blower.

Really nice and light weight... Light in the ass and blows really hard! :hmm3grin2orange:

6deeb933465a4c969186d82479e40789.jpg

Really nice and light weight... Light in the ass and blows really hard! :hmm3grin2orange:

I had one like that before:msp_wub:

Im not really loyal to either to me its like buying shoes or jeans try them all on and what ever fits or feels the best buy them ones. I do like the angled front handle on the Husky though.

I always thought Stihl used the "we are tougher than nails" approach to sell their saws. They show some guy beating the crap out of the saw, or dropping it from a tree, or leaving it out in the woods for a year then starting it up with no problems. Personally I find the saw to be over built in areas that need not be beefed up, only adding to the extra weight to carry around all day. I do not believe in mistreating or abusing any tool. If I spent good money on a pro saw I am not going to beat the snot out of it just because I can, I mean seriously?? My 7900 Dolmar is less weight by far than a comparable stihl and way less coin. So far too years of use and not a problem yet. I do believe Husqvarna makes a better saw than either as their technology on many fronts is just better. Their oiling, air injection, ect are better. I like all good running saws no matter the brand, some are just better than others. Here is an interesting video I found on youtube you guys may or may not have seen showing the difference between the stihl an Husky air filtration. [video=youtube;Rztm0HM9XzE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rztm0HM9XzE[/video]

I always thought Stihl used the "we are tougher than nails" approach to sell their saws. They show some guy beating the crap out of the saw, or dropping it from a tree, or leaving it out in the woods for a year then starting it up with no problems. Personally I find the saw to be over built in areas that need not be beefed up, only adding to the extra weight to carry around all day. I do not believe in mistreating or abusing any tool. If I spent good money on a pro saw I am not going to beat the snot out of it just because I can, I mean seriously?? My 7900 Dolmar is less weight by far than a comparable stihl and way less coin. So far too years of use and not a problem yet. I do believe Husqvarna makes a better saw than either as their technology on many fronts is just better. Their oiling, air injection, ect are better. I like all good running saws no matter the brand, some are just better than others. Here is an interesting video I found on youtube you guys may or may not have seen showing the difference between the stihl an Husky air filtration. [video=youtube;Rztm0HM9XzE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rztm0HM9XzE[/video]

I like how he packs the saw dust in... Can't wait for the under water test.

I go with what has always worked best for me and that would be Stihl. I have been happy with every Stihl saw I have ever purchased. Not so with the husky purchases I have made. I have run huskies that I have liked but I have had better experience with Stihl and they are better supported in my area.

I dropped a 12 year old 044 off of a 2nd story roof last Summer when the roof collapsed underneath me while doing a crane pick on a 3' diameter tree that was through the roof. The house wasn't structurally sound due to the 2 huge trees that were blown through the roof. Only thing I had to do was regap the spark plug and it fired right back up. I do hard work in a tough environment. My work demands tough saws.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back