Stihl vs makita

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustang71

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So I always herd stihl was the best but I'm curious a out dolmar or Mikita. Recently bought my first stihl and haven't cut trees with it yet cause I bought it in the off season. I'm not in the market for another saw but would like to hear opinions cause I often buy stuff I don't need.

So I always herd stihl was the best but I'm curious a out dolmar or Mikita. Recently bought my first stihl and haven't cut trees with it yet cause I bought it in the off season. I'm not in the market for another saw but would like to hear opinions cause I often buy stuff I don't need.
Everybody knows echo is the best.

The answer is it depends. What saw I would buy depends on the CC class, budget, and intended use. I can say Stihl, Husky/Johnny, Echo, and Dolmar/Makita all have best of class offerings when taking in all variables.

There's really no way to say what brand is best all you can do is determine which saws are good then after that the best can only be determined by you. After awhile if your like me you end up with a few best brands and models.

Svk I use Mikita tools every day and have had the same set for 6 years now. I have many different cc saws I'm not a fan of my husky cause it doesn't oil very well but like I said I have yet to really cut with the ms 290. All that being said I'll probably never buy an echo but the Mikita dolmar saw has me interested

Svk I use Mikita tools every day and have had the same set for 6 years now. I have many different cc saws I'm not a fan of my husky cause it doesn't oil very well but like I said I have yet to really cut with the ms 290. All that being said I'll probably never buy an echo but the Mikita dolmar saw has me interested
What model isn't oiling well for you?

It's not I've posted before about troubles with it oiling. It has great power cuts great but I'll run a few tanks of gas before it's out of oil. My poulan pro with the 42 cc oils way better this is all the reason I bought the ms 290

ECHO is not anything to sneeze at if you compare honestly.

The brand isn't taken seriously enough, & I personally bleed Creme Sickle, aka Stihl.

2 Rings & A Flattop, LLC Test Dummy

Just ran a dolmar for the first time today. Impressed to say the least. Really smooth AV and pulled hard for a stock saw. I am normally a Stihl guy.

Dolmar is a great brand.

Honestly, if the support,( local, cause I know a great Dolly dealer, only problem is them 2 are 1,000 mi away), for Dolmar & Echo was better, there would be many more of Germany's other Saw brand, & Japanese saws.

The local sales & dealer network are the only items that set the Stihl & Husqvarna apart from the completion.

Typically the Dolmar & Echo of the same size are considerably more cost effective.

The problem is, & has always been, reputable dealers, & on time access to parts.

On another note.
I would own a 7910 right now if I didn't own a bazillion Stihl 12mm mount bars.

2 Rings & A Flattop, LLC Test Dummy

Every serious brand has a few standout models, a few solid models, and a lot of forgettable ones. If you figure out which features, attributes, and specs to look for, you can figure the rest out from there. I would not consider a Stihl 290, Husqvarna 450, or Husqvarna 455 to be in either of the former two categories.

I know what my saws are and I wasn't comparing them to a pro saw or anything of that category. They do what I need them to minus the 450. I'm just asking about the dolmar because I would like to buy a nice saw in the future.

Latest posts

Back