StockBridge Climbing Preparation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi I am very interested in getting into the trees and would love to get some hands on before I make it into StockBridge School of Arborculture. What should I buy to start off with and practice climbing, I know there are many techniques and many forms of gear but I am terrified of heights and allergic to bees I do not want to panic while I am in a tree. I must also stress I DO NOT want to harm a tree in any way so where do I start? :)

get a summer job at a tree service mention you might attend school when done with the job say it only once and to the owner, learn the trade by using your eyes and ears and being queit and paying attention at all times, my advice is try stuff before you buy stuff, you will have opportunities, good luck!

I did not read the whole thread but do not buy anything yet. I am a Stockbridge and UMass grad. The school provides everything necessary, Prof. Kane will teach you well. Being that you have never climbed before why invest into something that you don't even know you would like to pursue as a career? The school provides a variety of gear for you to use. Use that to find out what you like and do not like. There are some good kids in Stockbridge right now that can teach you a lot. Don't be afraid of Han she doesn't bite.

I did not read the whole thread but do not buy anything yet. I am a Stockbridge and UMass grad. The school provides everything necessary, Prof. Kane will teach you well. Being that you have never climbed before why invest into something that you don't even know you would like to pursue as a career? The school provides a variety of gear for you to use. Use that to find out what you like and do not like. There are some good kids in Stockbridge right now that can teach you a lot. Don't be afraid of Han she doesn't bite.

So I can use their equipment to try before I buy their program? I just don't have any access to gear to try it out.

So I can use their equipment to try before I buy their program? I just don't have any access to gear to try it out.
you may want to attend a climbing jamboree to watch much different pace as you will see, btw the ct summer meeting usually has buckets and lifts to try, the climbing eq. vendors would probally let you try the gear at the bigger trade shows they always have a rope set up so you watch demos and hang in gear. you might be close for the summer meeting good luck

you may want to attend a climbing jamboree to watch much different pace as you will see, btw the ct summer meeting usually has buckets and lifts to try, the climbing eq. vendors would probally let you try the gear at the bigger trade shows they always have a rope set up so you watch demos and hang in gear. you might be close for the summer meeting good luck

meeting july 15 go ctpa for the? cya

I am just getting my first car on the road and I just got a new job so I will be able to attend these things now shortly.

I am just getting my first car on the road and I just got a new job so I will be able to attend these things now shortly.

good on ya fella , there is always a stockbridge booth at the summer CTPA meeting, it is in farmington ct, and i trust you have checked out their site for driving directions to the show ayuh good luck

Well.... that fell through :(

I'm going to have too much of a vertigo problem with tall jobs, BUT for any of you that have followed my threads this is not going to stop my dedication for trees. The town I grew up in (bordering my current residence) needs an assistant tree warden on a as needed basis, IT'S A FOOT IN THE DOOR! I filled out an application and submitted my resume too with all my volunteer work and such. All the requirements are is a drivers ID, high school diploma or equivalent, and experience operating power saws and power tools but when they realize what I already know.... who knows (I hope)

Back