Street Shade Trees Root Flares

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PinkFloydEffect

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Unfortunately the snow in the pictures obscures any identification of problem

Once the snow melts off around your root flare, then you may want to re post as there isn't any evidence that can be seen by this series of pictures---:)

This tree has been topped- it has regrown, then in looks as if someone has been improperly pruning it as well- Lions tailed on lower limbs, and it looks like it has had other less than professional pruning-

Stamp out Topping- see your pictures they speak for themselves! Criminal!

Any tree that is planted in a container, may exceed the area unless steps have been taken to ensure proper root growth- I recommend "Tree Barrier" be installed at the edges of planting containers around the entire tree PRIOR to planting, to assist in redirection of root structure downward, then outward deep under sidewalks, etc-

I look forward to seeing updated pictures once the snow has melted away, and it can be seen.

:chainsawguy:

Last edited:
Once the snow melts off around your root flare, then you may want to re post as there isn't any evidence that can be seen by this series of pictures---:)

This tree has been topped- it has regrown, then in looks as if someone has been improperly pruning it as well- Lions tailed on lower limbs, and it looks like it has had other less than professional pruning-

Stamp out Topping- see your pictures they speak for themselves! Criminal!

Any tree that is planted in a container, may exceed the area unless steps have been taken to ensure proper root growth- I recommend "Tree Barrier" be installed at the edges of planting containers around the entire tree PRIOR to planting, to assist in redirection of root structure downward, then outward deep under sidewalks, etc-

I look forward to seeing updated pictures once the snow has melted away, and it can be seen.

:chainsawguy:

I have no idea if there were barriers of any sort installed in the day, this is an "Avenue" so I'm researching old pictures from when they were planted from my town.

I'm not familiar with pruning techniques and identifying them yet, however I'm not surprised because I think the electric company maintains these trees (whatta joke)

I will definitely be keeping up on this thread there's gotta be SOMETHING wrong at the base haha. ~Peace

I'm not familiar with pruning techniques and identifying them yet, however I'm not surprised because I think the electric company maintains these trees (whatta joke)
are your trees more important that your electric, line clearance people do use proper pruning techniques, maybe they don't look proper to you or other people but that are within ISA standards......I know, I was one of them for 21 years..

I would like you to show me those standards you speak of...

Inter nodal cuts= topping, call it what you want, but it is topping, Drop crotch technique would have looked totally different had it been accomplished in the first place-

No, These trees have been topped! Then they were lions tailed. This is just another example of poor workmanship-

On the good news side, this is a street tree- most likely not under your domain for care- if it breaks then the city will be responsible to clean it up, just drag it back into the road when it does.

The bad news side is when it hits your car- you will have to make the claim, because the city will swear its an act of god! I wouldn't park under it if I were you.

Be careful its dangerous out there

P.s. visit http://www.treesaregood.com to learn about tree care, there are definitions of the techniques I spoke of "topping" and "lions-tailing" , BTW utility clearance they remove wood that will interfere with utilities this is what they are paid to do, I know many certified utility arborists they get the job done!

Last edited:
BTW utility clearance they remove wood that will interfere with utilities this is what they are paid to do, I know many certified utility arborists they get the job done!
been there done that a thousand times over, wasn't allowed to leave a stub cut so if that meant removing a leader then that's what was done.....not only are they bound by the utility commission to maintain the minimum of 10ft clearance (in NC) but they also have to do it with proper techniques, yes, it was sad to leave some trees the way we had to but what can you do when the H/O refuses to let the tree be removed to be replace for something that would mature at a smaller height.....answer that one for me please........

FWIW: I trimmed utility lines in Orlando Fla. and the utility arborist said it was some of the best trimming he'd ever seen and you know how they love their trees down there...

Last edited:
Utility workers on average, don't care, but they do what they must!

I am confident that when inspected, most ROW clearance arborists do a great job, of course that is when they are inspected.

They do work around here all of the time, flush cuts- big dog ear stubs, Half tree toppings, Stubs two feet long... etc.

Some companies are bigger offenders then others, here it is ABC- In WV it Asplundh- I have seen them working and have spoken to them about the quality or lack there of, they don't seem to care.

Perhaps, instead of a soap box, I should forget my principles and go to work and just make money- the heck with the correct way, it would be simpler.

Unfortunately, you can't unlearn anything- once you know anything it is impossible to back track.

Good luck

Thanks both you guys some neat stuff I did not know. I'm not worried about the trees structural safety. I just wanted to make them a bit happier and lush because there's not many street trees left anymore on my street last years storm completely topped street shade trees. I wanted to preserve them for future street sakes, they may be original to the street.

Here's what the ice storm of December 2008 left my street with, this is the tree directly to the side of one of the trees in the above links. Of course it has been marked with an X for removal because the entire top of the tree snapped off at the trunk :mad:

IMG_0394.jpg

Oh yes, taking pictures Thursday. I can clearly see a visible girdle about 2" thick wrapping around the base of a tree, guarantee under this tar it was forcing the roots to curl around seeing how they cannot go outward, especially if they were plated too deep. I'll be cracking back the tar and chiseling out the girdles maybe the canopy's will come back next year. They look so helpless all lions tailed and thin.

Whoever voted 5 stars THANK YOU!

Overcasted day out, but I had to take something after I discovered this!

I have found the cause of the extreme canopy thinning... GIRDLES!

Tree #1

IMG_1086.jpg

IMG_1084.jpg

Tree #2
IMG_1083.jpg

IMG_1082.jpg

All this pavement has kept the roots from traveling outward, so they just curl around the base, possibly planted incorrectly.​

Nice day for some help 1/2

It was too nice out when I woke up and I had nothing to do, every time I leave my house I see these trees and they're finally making me guilty now that I know how to help them.

a-6.jpg

View/Angle #1
b-5.jpg

c-5.jpg

d-4.jpg

View/Angle #2
e-2.jpg

f-2.jpg

good job with the collar correction, if possible take as much asphalt away from the flare as possible, be carefull of the roots you remove, use your judgement, take out the least amount of large roots that are causing the problem, you dont want to stress the tree more than it already is. also if you can feed the tree it would be great, some compost and mulch would also help.

good job with the collar correction, if possible take as much asphalt away from the flare as possible, be carefull of the roots you remove, use your judgement, take out the least amount of large roots that are causing the problem, you dont want to stress the tree more than it already is. also if you can feed the tree it would be great, some compost and mulch would also help.

Thanks, I'm trying. I chipped away a few inches of asphalt, I had to cut some pretty big roots that were crossing over the top of flares sideways, might have cut too much. Feed it huh? I'm on it, I'll go grab a bag of composted cow sht.

This is the tree from a standpoint, poor thing.

1-4.jpg

2-3.jpg

Whats the blackness on the trunk?:rolleyes:
3-4.jpg

Tisk tisk, I bet the same idiot that lion's tailed the thing also cut these branches off without leaving the collar, thanks allot! ..idiot
4-3.jpg

Last edited:
excavate a little deeper, a hose with a jet nozzle will work better in that compacted soil( i saw your compressor:cry:), it might be messy but it will work, go down a few more inches to expose more roots. then add compost. the tree will love you:cheers:

Side's 1 & 2

Haha yeah, my compressor sucks it was given to me. Through this project I have had the electric brushes in the motor pouring out smoke to the point it wont move the piston and I have to shut it off, take a smoke break.

Lower? I'm afraid this tree is going to fall over on my neighbors house I've seen it happen before after removing major girdles that were literally supporting the bottleneck or beaver looking point. I hope this tree comes back to life after this, I have a feeling I cut a few major roots I wasn't thinking just going for the aesthetically pleasing flare, I have a hard time stopping.

The water hasn't been turned on yet still gets below 32F but I'll probably fool with it.

1-5.jpg

2-4.jpg

3-5.jpg

4-4.jpg

5-2.jpg

6.jpg

Side's 3 & 4

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

^I'm going to blow out the cracks in the sidewalk above the root flares or what at that point might just be root, and replace it by stuffing in composted cow sht. Whatta ya think?^

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Only tree on the whole street that got its own personal pedicure! Or at least that's how I explained it to nosy passing pedestrians.

Last edited:
manoman nate you have been busy! :clap:

"good job with the collar correction, if possible take as much asphalt away from the flare as possible, be carefull of the roots you remove, use your judgement, take out the least amount of large roots that are causing the problem, you dont want to stress the tree more than it already is. also if you can feed the tree it would be great, some compost and mulch would also help."

:agree2: with ebrooks here.

if there is direct sunlight on that recently exposed area, white paint may prevent sunscald. It may also blow the pedestrians' minds when you tell them that trees like white nail polish after their pedicure!

i would love to visit your trees this summer. :cheers:

manoman nate you have been busy! :clap:

"good job with the collar correction, if possible take as much asphalt away from the flare as possible, be carefull of the roots you remove, use your judgement, take out the least amount of large roots that are causing the problem, you dont want to stress the tree more than it already is. also if you can feed the tree it would be great, some compost and mulch would also help."

:agree2: with ebrooks here.

if there is direct sunlight on that recently exposed area, white paint may prevent sunscald. It may also blow the pedestrians' minds when you tell them that trees like white nail polish after their pedicure!

i would love to visit your trees this summer. :cheers:

Hey hey, it keeps me out of trouble, seriously. I am actually in line for StockBridge!

Anything more than compost and manure? It's all black and dried up (the trunk and branches)

Are you joking me? White paint? Sounds sketchy haha

Your more than welcome to visit my trees by the time you get here I'll have a whole list of trees for you to view. The more arborists that view my trees the better chances they have (also me learning) You probably won't make it in time to do my red maples, someone on here (I'll let them come forward) offered $175 to clean the deadwood from my large beast by hand and remember that first tree I posted ever? $75 for that one I don't think I'll find any better of a deal, he came out and looked at them in person and I threw him $20. So two really big trees for $250 I think I'm going to snag his offer.

Tree #3

Eventually, I will be getting to this tree. This is what I'm in for... 10X worse however its the healthiest tree on the street.
IMG_1140.jpg

IMG_1141.jpg

Now, back to the project tree. For one it appears that all the branch stubs are hollow? This whole tree probably has heart rot.
IMG_1138.png

I'm not too fond over this branch leaning out over the road, looks like the actual bark and the sap wood are rotting... Dose not look safe to me.

IMG_1137.png

IMG_1137-Copy.jpg

Back