Obtaining Tree Protection Ordnance?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PinkFloydEffect

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hello I am looking on obtaining an ordnance on a 100+ year old Camperdown Elm that resides on private property by the roadside. I contacted the DPW and they said they are not in favor of an ordnance...which really this is not a matter of opinion it's the structure of the system this idiot works for. Who do I go to for help applying the sate or government? Something above my town/city?
62.jpg

I need to protect it if the house was sold to someone else and they wanted to prune or remove the tree, I have already had problems with the gas company!
IMG_8730.jpg

IMG_8738.jpg

kinda late for that now don't ya think? after all the roots are cut on one side if the tree?

That sure sucks big time but in reality people will sell a tree out in a heartbeat to keep their electric, gas, and water on.............:dizzy:

i read your other thread about all the work you did to the tree. Maybe you could buy the property and care for the tree that way?

Tree Protection?! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'd cut it down if I owned that house if I got word someone wanted to protect my tree... just to spite them. :msp_biggrin:

No it's not too late the tree made an amazing come back, just as healthy as before.

Actually they pleaded with the company to find another alternative method to digging there.

I don't need to buy the property I am close with the owner and they love my work and give me full permission to do as I please to the tree.

Yes tree protection, no no you do not understand. The owners want the tree to outlive them but I am worried that they may pass away and the property could be left in the wrong hands, bank, or the town decides the limbs are too close to the sidewalk and make improper cuts with no future notice. If the tree is deeded in somehow with protection from the state as historic value, this way anyone who buys the house knows up front the case before they buy it. Ever heard of the elm tree named Herbie that was in Yarmouth Maine? That owner or any other owner could not cut that tree down or they would face some serious problems, it was twice as old as this tree BUT natural and not a grafted tree.

How close are those powerlines?? If the power company comes through to clear the lines and cuts half of the canopy away your piece of paper means nothing. I remember when doing line clearance there was a homeowner that didn't want his maple tree canopy cut into a V so the lines could run through,so he sat in the tree everyday until he was ordered by a judge to get his a$$ down or go to jail.

How close are those powerlines?? If the power company comes through to clear the lines and cuts half of the canopy away your piece of paper means nothing. I remember when doing line clearance there was a homeowner that didn't want his maple tree canopy cut into a V so the lines could run through,so he sat in the tree everyday until he was ordered by a judge to get his a$$ down or go to jail.

There is a more mature way of going about a compromise and educated pruning then sitting in a tree, the right cut makes a huge difference and power company trimmers are not usually trained in the perfect health of a tree and more about efficiency of pruning times. I would use the Masonic Lodge tree as contrast for necessary cuts if they approached my tree look how bad this one interferes:
IMG_3423.jpg

IMG_3355.jpg

^ does not even come close to the historic value mine has.

There is a more mature way of going about a compromise and educated pruning then sitting in a tree, the right cut makes a huge difference and power company trimmers are not usually trained in the perfect health of a tree and more about efficiency of pruning times. I would use the Masonic Lodge tree as contrast for necessary cuts if they approached my tree look how bad this one interferes:
IMG_3423.jpg

IMG_3355.jpg

^ does not even come close to the historic value mine has.

Dude its a TREE... in the grand scheme of things its only a 100 year old tree, thats not real old. Expecting a home owner or the contractor to spend thousands of dollars to save a tree on private property is fantasy land. If it was on public land and was public property you may have an argument. Its a shame it is a awesome tree, but it is a matter of economics.

Having gotten stoned under that tree since you were 8 does not count as historic value.

Last edited:
? this process costs no money, it would not inconvenience any property owners, and only 100 years old not special?! Are you serious you direct me to a larger Camperdown ANYWHERE in the world I'm up for the challenge because a larger tree does not exist. The tree is about as old as the cultivar species itself!!

This is believed to be the largest Camperdown in the world and its historic value is priceless for it's size...compare sizes, this one is not even in the US:
8522249107_001cc9d5ff_o_zps7982a615.jpg

Last edited:
Hello I am looking on obtaining an ordnance on a 100+ year old Camperdown Elm that resides on private property by the roadside. I contacted the DPW and they said they are not in favor of an ordnance...which really this is not a matter of opinion it's the structure of the system this idiot works for. Who do I go to for help applying the sate or government? Something above my town/city?
62.jpg

I need to protect it if the house was sold to someone else and they wanted to prune or remove the tree, I have already had problems with the gas company!
IMG_8730.jpg

IMG_8738.jpg

The bestest and most inexpensivest way to protect the tree is to strip down to yer buttcheeks and chain yerself to the tree while we send The Treepig out to " investigate".

I thought this would be a more common practice but I guess not...what a shame.

dude put the pipe down, thats life I think the best answer is buy the property and you can hug that ##### all you want. Its a cool tree but it is not historic, you need to get a grip... this is a historic example.

tree_5.1.JPG

Your over reacting with the stereotypical BS, that tree is if even 1/3 the height with the same DBH your fing blind.

dude seriously you need to put the pipe down, that tree is probably 8 feet across. Turn your fan on and clear some of that smoke out of your room. You are clearly not grounded in reality.

Just shy of 10, that example has an extremely low graft in the taper giving a false age. How long have you spent researching these trees? Obviously the height is going right over your head get off your knees!

Yup your right dude, you are the next great tree expert... when they talk about tree experts its Shigo, Perrone, Dirr and you... good luck in your life your on the right track.

I'm saying I have dedicated a lot of time to researching this type of tree in the field, I have been around I know what is out there. The amount of work that goes into creating one of these should be appreciated exp if it's one of the tallest ones you can find it's a record breaker at least in height. As soon as someone shows some appreciation for a tree these folks that get paid to remove them for a living starts getting their panties in a bunch.

Simply a nice tree that could fall into the wrong hands of someone who does not know how unique it is someday, that suddenly starts getting blown out of proportion here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back