ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Tell me about Axes....

Discussion in 'Firewood, Heating and Wood Burning Equipment' started by PLMCRZY, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Philbert

Philbert Chainsaw Enthusiast

Maybe Santa will bring you a 3D printer and you can print your own?

Philbert

2. benp

benp Addicted to ArboristSite

The X37 is 8lbs and I might go for that.

Shipping looks to be 25 bucks. I think I need to double check this.

The total for the X37 shipped comes to EUR 74,56 = to $92.77.

Hmmm

Ambull01, svk, dancan and 1 other person like this.
  3. Ambull01

Ambull01 Addicted to ArboristSite

Not too bad. Ya'll are going to turn me into a axe/maul fanatic to go along with my chainsaw addiction.

svk likes this.
  4. TheViking

TheViking Can't see the forest for the trees

Hmm wow I was just wondering about axes the other day and what to get... I really like this forum!

5. Ambull01

Just don't go into the Chainsaw section. If you do, it will brain wash you into thinking you need at least 20 saws to cut firewood.

svk likes this.
  6. svk

svk A little bit of everything

And ONLY pro saws actually cut wood. If you buy a homeowner saw it probably won't start, let alone cut enough wood to meet your needs You know, they just arent durable enough to last ;)

mikey517 and Ambull01 like this.
  7. Ambull01

lol. Forgot has to be at least 60cc as well. Just bought a 6421 so I'm already brainwashed. Just couldn't swallow my pride and buy a 5020AV for less than $200.

8. svk

Although if you dont own a 550XP or MS261 you can't be in the club either....

In no way is this a dis on either of those models as the 550 is on the list when my 65 finally dies.

9. Ambull01

Great, I thought the 6421 made me an honorary member. :(

Looks like you have some older saws, hope this 6421 lasts too. I don't really feel like shopping for another saw anytime soon. I was seriously obsessed with CL/ebay/trading post for about 3 weeks looking for the best deal.

As for axes/splitting, I think I'll pick up a Collins maul soon. They have them at a store near me. Then I'll take it right to their service window and see if they'll grind off the hump thingy right after the blade's edge. No idea what that's supposed to do but hear it helps. My grandfather and great grandfather would roll their eyes if they knew about the time I spend researching axes, chainsaws, mauls, wedges, etc. They used what they had around and made it work for them. Hillbilly can do attitude.

svk likes this.
  10. svk

Thats a very respectable saw you picked up. And you now belong to a special cult of Dolmar and Makita owners. ;)

I would consider a Dolmar as a future large saw purchase and we got a new dealership in town. The owner is a well known small engine mechanic so that makes it a bit more attractive. And the sales guy is a nice guy too.

11. Ambull01

Oh man, get one! Those are some beautiful saws. Look like works of art unless they're just using special lighting techniques to make them look sexy.

About the dealerships, I used the Dolmar dealer locator and it looks like there's one 17 miles away from me. Doesn't sound like a true chainsaw place though. Is it the same for you? Also noticed a small engine repair shop and some farm supply stores listed as dealers. Is that the typical Dolmar dealer?

12. svk

Not sure. I really knew nothing about Dolmar until I read the hype on here. Mine is in an auto parts shop but as I mentioned the owner is a long time small engine guy.

13. mikey517

mikey517 Living the Medicare dream

The first year I burned wood for heat, I cut all my logs with the lowly and much maligned Husky 240e. The next year, I got my Husky 353, cut my wood with that, and burned in the same stove. Pretty sure the wood burned hotter and longer with the upgraded saw. ;) :laugh:

CTYank, Chris-PA, svk and 1 other person like this.
  14. olyman

olyman Tree Freak

and NOTHING but a stihl...................

15. Ambull01

I see. Sounds like that is the norm then. Have to go in and meet the mechanic. Took my Homelite to a new small engine place 5 minutes away from me to adjust my carb settings. Guy wanted to charge me $80 for some ultrasonic carb cleaning contraption treatment. Told him no thanks as $80 is probably more than the chainsaw. He ended up fiddling with the carb jets fro about 20 minutes and charged me $20. Idle is set super high, chain spins fast even at idle. Throttle needs to be feathered to keep it running. Sooo, not really as big of a deal as I first thought. Hope these Dolmar dealers turn out to be better.

svk likes this.
  16. Ambull01

lol. I don't know why you guys love Stihl so much. Understand they're a great chainsaw company but I'm not that crazy how they charge more for chainsaws because of their name recognition. People automatically think top of the line chainsaw even when it's actually the homeowner variety. Case in point, my brother. He bought a Stihl chainsaw for $128 a couple years ago that was a floor model. Found out I was getting a Makita for over twice the amount he paid and flipped out. Said why are you buying that when I bought a STIHL for less!? May have to drive to NC and see how the saws compare.

17. Chris-PA

Chris-PA Where the Wild Things Are

I don't need any more saws - heck, I don't need all of the ones I have now - but there is one more I want to get. A 5020 is it: I want to see how much I can get out of a ported 5020.

18. TheViking

TheViking Can't see the forest for the trees

Guess I need that Husky 460 now even more.... My current Husky won't do it O:)

19. Ambull01

Hmm, you port saws? Ever worked on a 6421? Get the 5020 from VMinnovations. Refurbished selling for $129. Can't beat that.

20. Chris-PA

Chris-PA Where the Wild Things Are

I only port my own for fun - I don't have the facilities, tools, time or experience to take on work for others. I will probably get a refurb 5020 from them eventually, but while that is a good deal it would still be the second highest amount I've ever paid for a saw.

mn woodcutter likes this.