The Farm Tractor in the Woodlot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
James, it generally only the logger that will buy timber based on it's ultimate grade and yield.
The logs pictured are for export. The Americans get the first pick as they pay the most, then the Asians, but they aren't as fussy and will buy 3 clearsided logs which is what the 3 dots mean. All the export logs are tagged to keep track of them.
The Americans pay roughly double what others pay because they slice them and require the highest grade logs, while the Asians unwrap them like a toilet role and can utilize a lower grade.
John

rahtreelimbs said:
John, my brother-in-law has an Agco-Allis ( think that is how it is spelled ). He is on the commitee for a cemetary near his home. He is the only one who has permission to work the property for fidewood. It is pretty neat to see the bucket uproot a 40 ft. cherry!!!

That tractor is a real workhorse!
Get some pics Rich, sounds interesting.
John

rahtreelimbs said:
John, my brother-in-law has an Agco-Allis ( think that is how it is spelled ). He is on the commitee for a cemetary near his home. He is the only one who has permission to work the property for fidewood. It is pretty neat to see the bucket uproot a 40 ft. cherry!!!

That tractor is a real workhorse!

Gypo Logger said:
Get some pics Rich, sounds interesting.
John

I can try. I only see him a few times a year!

Gypo Logger said:
James, it generally only the logger that will buy timber based on it's ultimate grade and yield.
The logs pictured are for export. The Americans get the first pick as they pay the most, then the Asians, but they aren't as fussy and will buy 3 clearsided logs which is what the 3 dots mean. All the export logs are tagged to keep track of them.
The Americans pay roughly double what others pay because they slice them and require the highest grade logs, while the Asians unwrap them like a toilet role and can utilize a lower grade.
John

I didn't know they exported timber to Asia. I bet that transportation adds a bit to the retail price of wood.

On that export situation,there is a man,locally that sells a majority of his stuff for export.The buyers come from all over the world.I have said before that the mid west,more generally the lake states or provinces[our friends to the north] are not the highest in timber production,but the most sought after,world wide.
His yard is filling up,I will try and get some pictures tomorrow.[ha,old Gyp will drool when he sees some 24" cherry peelers]

Gypo Logger said:
Buzz, I like that fowarder. It would be great for delivering 10' firewood logs as well sawlogs to a dry landing. What kind of truck is that/
John

John it's a U1000 Unimog, primarily it's used for domestic tree surgery. The advantages are i can do 45mph on the road, stick whatever i want on the rear 3 point linkage and chip into the purpose built chip box.

They are a bit ungainly and top heavy in the woods but can be and is really useful for any number of forestry / logging tasks.

Have a look at www.unimogs.co.uk or www.unimogs-acprice.co.uk/

Hey John ,

If you sell the 540 , get yourself some nice new ice chains for the Bota !! Nothing like new chains in the winter . Nice looking stems , you are the Rock Maple king of Canada .. When you gonna come back to NH , we need to go out for drinks and talk timber

Rob

StIhL MaGnUm said:
Hey John ,

If you sell the 540 , get yourself some nice new ice chains for the Bota !! Nothing like new chains in the winter . Nice looking stems , you are the Rock Maple king of Canada .. When you gonna come back to NH , we need to go out for drinks and talk timber

Rob
I was thinking that as well.
The logs went out today. Here's a few pictures.
John

WS.jpg

ws2.jpg

John !!

On one of the logs there is an "S" in end of it, what is it ?
is it something to keep the log from cracking up more ??

/Kristoffer

SWE#Kipp said:
John !!

/Kristoffer

I saw that too. Was the defect there before the tree was felled, or did it occur due to the impact with the ground?

Does it affect the value at all?

JamesTX said:
I didn't know they exported timber to Asia. I bet that transportation adds a bit to the retail price of wood.

Out here in Seattle, the "Export" logs are the best grade (Doug Fir)... and get the top $$. Then there are the varous "domestic" grades. Very few large clear fir logs end up on the local market. We end up paying more for the fine wood 'cos the Japanese will pay more...

Those Unimog based machines that the U.S. National Guard run are called Seeflu 419s.It stands for small emplacement excavator.There are two versions that I am familiar with .One is a maintainance model with front forks and a crane in the rear.Its aux.hydraulic power ran a Impact wrench I think.The one that I am most familiar with because I was a trainer on had a 3/4yard toothed bucket on the front,and a Case 580style backhoe on the rear, less Extendahoe,with a 24''bucket .It had a hydraulic twin hose with twin quik connects for a Stanley 70# jackhammer and also a chainsaw ,also by Stanley.It also had a hydraulic drill.They had a four speed trans with high and low range button on the shifter,plus twin range lever with reverse,They had some downfalls,as it having a clutch,Inexperienced operators would dig in a bank or pile and beat the clutch up bad.Also the backhoe operated with a throttle button that was prone to fail,as it was in a exposed position.You would have to use the throttle in the cab.As I understand It ,the military is not ordering them any more they are going with a 580 Case backhoe.The Unimog core of the machine was exceptional,though,and they really attract attention wherever they go.

keith c raymond said:
the military is not ordering them any more they are going with a 580 Case backhoe.The Unimog core of the machine was exceptional,though,and they really attract attention wherever they go.

Actually, it seems the US military are going with the British JCB super digger...
Now this is what I call a backhoe! :dizzy:

super digger

SWE#Kipp said:
John !!

/Kristoffer

That was an S iron that I drove into the butt and tip of that Maple. Rarely does Maple jump open like that. Ash and Hickory are very bad for spliting right before your eyes. Some S irons are made of plastic in case valiable slicer knives hit them.
John

Back