The Farm Tractor in the Woodlot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think one problem is they keep making the engines more powerful and the frames lighter. My 40hp 1996 NH 2120 has the same frame that they put on the 45 and 55 hp boomers now. That doesn't explain the $900 I just had to put into a new clutch. Or maybe it does. The clutch didn't wear out, I somehow stripped the splines out of it. The clutch looked in good shape. Throwout bearing too.

However, in defense of my tractor, I spend a lot of time at Tractorbynet, and I don't see where the NH has anymore problems and complaints than the orange and green tractors. That is mainly a compact tractor site, tho. And my clutch problem may have been self-inflicted through overuse of the shuttleshift, though the dealer didn't think so.

tawilson said:
Gypo,
It looks like your winch doesn't have the chain hookup notches across the back like the Farmi. I can see with most of what you pull one log is plenty, but I often fill mine up when I'm pulling out firewood logs, plus one or two hooked to the cable. I also don't see any of the slides on your cable. If I have to direct a log while dragging, I'll wrap a strap around a tree and use them to pull which ever way I need. Last year however, I got lazy/smart and cut down on dragging the cable out. Now that I've opened things up some, I cut the trees and drag them with the tongs on my bucket to one location for hooking to the winch. As I said, I'm dealing mostly with small stuff.
Snows coming this week here, so I'm taking the tractor to my woodlot. Been way to wet around here. I'm looing forward to it, sitting on my butt running the backhoe doesn't tune me up like working in the woods.

Hi Tom, I don't have the mainline slides on mine, but plan to install them when I find a suitable supplier in my area.. I also have the slotted drawbar on the winch frame that allows skidding multiple stems, however, they don't ride high enough and this is where the chains break when we choke them too close.
Anyway, with the firewood being in great demand the tractor sure makes things alot easier.
John

tawilson said:
However, in defense of my tractor, I spend a lot of time at Tractorbynet, and I don't see where the NH has anymore problems and complaints than the orange and green tractors. That is mainly a compact tractor site, tho. And my clutch problem may have been self-inflicted through overuse of the shuttleshift, though the dealer didn't think so.

The New Hollands that I heard were having problems with weak front axles, trannies, and frames are the new compacts, not the rebadged Fords like you have. Bern from yesterdaystractors was the first to mention the weakness. He has been a Ford/New Holland mechanic for many years and usually has the answers for problems that stump everyone else.

I don`t think that I know anyone who actually has a Boomer, everyone switched to Long Farmtracs or Kubota when New Holland went the way of the yuppie tractor.

BTW Ben, where are Kubotas made? :D My Japanese made Shibaura/Ford 1720 has been an excellent tractor for all of the abuse that I have given it.

Russ

bwalker said:
My point was why pay ford price for a Shibaura?

Just like so many other things, Shibaura wouldn`t have been here in the US if it weren`t for the distribution network of Ford. Ford did the same thing as all the other big tractor manufacturers did at that time, they went out and found the best small tractor being manufactured by someone else and rebranded them for sale in the US. John Deere used Yanmar which is also an excellent tractor and Case used someone else, was it Mitsubishi?

At any rate, I have no qualms about having a Ford blue Shibaura, it`s an excellent small tractor and would recommend it to anyone. I can also work circles around my neighbor with his giant Belarus and run 9-10 hours at PTO speed on 8 gallons of fuel. This tractor is probably the best product that I have ever owned or operated, it`s been that reliable.

Russ

for what John is doing that tractor does a great job, he is making millions of dollars with it so why change. If he was going to buy a new one why not buy a new 548 grapple skidder, this way he doesnot have to get out of his nice warm cab to hook his tree up and on the weekends he can drive it to the movies, maybe a little hard to take through the drive through at Buger King

Although pulling whole tops is not an accepted practice it can be done if care is taken not to damage the residual trees. It's an art and the trees that you leave undamaged will be the high grade stems you can harvest on the next cut. Low grade stems can be used as pivot trees if need be.
Note how I have the saw out of harms way so it doesn't get run over. :blob2:
John
ft.jpg

keep this thread going ,,, i like all the photos of different tractor setups :)

/Kristoffer

Thanks for keeping the tread going. I sold my first load of blocks this year.
It's a common sight here in Canada to have a woodpile larger than your house.
In fact some shack owners pile the wood around the house in such a fashion as to create a higher R value against inclement weather.
John
kevin.jpg

Well this is'nt a skidder, but it is an old tractor running my firewood processor. 1954 Nuffield with a BMC diesel conversion. Runs the processor nicely. I think I've a long way to go before I cover my my house with firewood though....

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back