The Farm Tractor in the Woodlot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thor's Hammer said:
Well this is'nt a skidder, but it is an old tractor running my firewood processor. 1954 Nuffield with a BMC diesel conversion. Runs the processor nicely. I think I've a long way to go before I cover my my house with firewood though....

That`s an interesting processor for small wood TH, did you build it?

Russ

Is that the Sycamore you were speaking of Thor?
John
wood.jpg

John, I think Ed named that sycamore as acer platanus but I think he meant acer psuedoplatanus, In either case, not a sycamore. The acer psuedoplatanus, is considered invasive here. Fast grower and prolific reseeder. Might be perfect for pulp and firewood though. Not sure what it's value is as lumber. A real sycamore does have a niche market, in quartersawn and spalted quartersawn that gets good dollars, but probably the mill makes out more so than the logger on that.

Ed, please correct me if I got that wrong

Dead right Dave, my bad. Yeah a lot of that stuff was the smaller diameter ash and sycamore in the 26acre wood. Most of it was harvested with a ponsse, so its all in neat 2meter lengths. Ideal firewood. I do know that fiddleback or ripple sycamore is worth a lot, but not every butt is rippled, probably 1 in 50. The firewood processor is a little palax semi automatic. that stack took me about an easy day to do.

Thank's for shareing all of you chainsaw/tractor/wood/forest's nerds :D

/Kristoffer

Nuffield

Well this is'nt a skidder, but it is an old tractor running my firewood processor. 1954 Nuffield with a BMC diesel conversion. Runs the processor nicely. I think I've a long way to go before I cover my my house with firewood though....

TM, that picture of your Nuffield made my heard bleed. My folks owned a 1966 Nuffield like yours (Type 10/60, 4 cyl. 60 HP). Pretty strong tractor, who gave me lots of pleasure working with. I sold it in 1994 because I had no real use for it any longer, but still regret it today. :cry:

Just had to dig up some pics of me and this nice tractor some 20 years ago. (one working in the field, one while pulling a parade trailer)

John,
I've been mainly using cable chokers, mainly cause I can poke them under the log. But chains are definitely handier for the adjustment value. I've seen some choker chains with a rod on the end to get under the log. Ever use them? I might make up a couple to give it a whirl.

Hi Woodfarmer. That pile was 6 cords. I filled a 40 yard bin and delivered it for 1200$
The tipping fee was 200$. It's a great way to do firewood. Instead of delivering and on the phone with customers you can be in the woods filling the bin. All costs are cut drasticly handling the wood this way I find.
John

tawilson said:
John,
I've been mainly using cable chokers, mainly cause I can poke them under the log. But chains are definitely handier for the adjustment value. I've seen some choker chains with a rod on the end to get under the log. Ever use them? I might make up a couple to give it a whirl.
Tom, I've seen them but never used the metal one, however a curved stick works as well.
The only trouble with the metal one is that you run the risk of either loosing them or driving over them, causing a flat tire.
I like the chains as well as the cable chokers. Each has their advantages and disadvantages.
John

I don't care for the chain chokers w/ the pin on the end for pushing under the log. Instead I use a thing called a grab rod. Has a nice D handle on one end and a small hook on the other end. Shove it under the log and hook the last link on the chain and pull it back under. The only downfall I can see to the grab rod is that it is one more thing to carry or lose in the bush.

I wish my woodlot was level enough to pull a trailer around. I'm working on putting trails in but it's gonna take a while. Very rocky ground I probably shouldn't be even driving my tractor on.

which i had some pictures to add here ,, but hey, you guys are doing great work with it soooo keep up the good picturing work :)

/Kinky swede (though i want post any kinky stuff)

was it a road there or did you just drive in to the forest ??
if so, its looks like very forgiving terrain ,,

/Kristoffer

Hey were are my TRACTORS !?!?!?!!??
Need them now ,,*gahhh :bang:

Gypo i know you got the pictures give them to me ,,,,,,,,

Latest posts

Back