The MS171 bit the dust

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonUK

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I bought a nice little saw of fleabay a Stihl MS171 it was a none runner so i thought must be bad just a tune up but i was wrong REAL wrong. Turns out it had a snapped rod on the big end. Never seen this on a saw just warning you guys it may happen to other saws it still had good compression

Nice rod:bang:

LOL i wasnt happy when I dug into it. I know you dont know me but Iam a big fan of your work. I asked you a question on youtube about your 066 about what filter it had on it and I never got a reply. Its like a stack one could you point me in the direction of one.
Simon

LOL i wasnt happy when I dug into it. I know you dont know me but Iam a big fan of your work. I asked you a question on youtube about your 066 about what filter it had on it and I never got a reply. Its like a stack one could you point me in the direction of one.
Simon

Thanks. I rarely ever read or respond to comments on my YouTube vids. Sorry. That's just a K&N filter clamped onto a velocity stack.

About your rod, yeah, that's not a good thing. I've said my piece on them before, and am likely to start a war if I do it again. Bottom line, there are much better saws out there for the money in that size. Check out Redmax.

.... About your rod, yeah, that's not a good thing. I've said my piece on them before, and am likely to start a war if I do it again. Bottom line, there are much better saws out there for the money in that size. Check out Redmax.

This is a bit disturbing, as I believe the 211 is basically the same saw, and I have heard the 251 will be as well??? :confused:

This is a bit disturbing, as I believe the 211 is basically the same saw, and I have heard the 251 will be as well??? :confused:

At risk of starting a malstorm of crap, here's the rod again from my MS180. I bent this rod when using the wrong kind of piston stop. It was shown that using the proper piston stop would not have resulted like this. However, the fact still stands, that it's far weaker than a forged rod.

420107892_DaNK4-M.jpg

At risk of starting a malstorm of crap, here's the rod again from my MS180. I bent this rod when using the wrong kind of piston stop. It was shown that using the proper piston stop would not have resulted like this. However, the fact still stands, that it's far weaker than a forged rod. .....

I remember that crap, but I am sure you were right! :cheers:

Disturbing? Maybe since it isn't a husky?;)

Anyway, the 171/181/211 share the same crank/rod assembly. This is the first I've read of one breaking like that. Stihl loving my 211.:clap:

Just to sum up what i actually did with the saw.
Once I discovered it has this problem I jumped on my favourite small engine breakers. They had a stihl ms180 crank for £20 so i bought it. then someone said the older cranks wont work. Well anyway the saw now runs with the ms180 crank inside so they do work with the newer strato saws if anyone is looking to save some money

At risk of starting a malstorm of crap, here's the rod again from my MS180. I bent this rod when using the wrong kind of piston stop. It was shown that using the proper piston stop would not have resulted like this. However, the fact still stands, that it's far weaker than a forged rod.

420107892_DaNK4-M.jpg

And I always thought you were secretly designing a new compact saw with the cylinder at a 30° angle!

:popcorn:

420107892_DaNK4-M.jpg

Maybe a stupid question, But what kinda piston stop did you use?

Back