Husqvarna 365

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wood man

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I may have bought a bargain, or a heavy paper-weight.

A 365 that came from an action house in Inverness.

I bought it from the buyer from the action for what he paid for it as he cannot get it to start.
It has been rebuilt with the bigger barrel and piston for the 372XP.
I have it here, and need to buy a proper recoil starter as the one on it is so bad it will not allow me to pull it over as it jams and stcks and is such a poor fit it is beyond a joke!!
Nasty cheap inferior part that I can squish with my fingers.

The carb is full of muck, sawdust and dirty fuel.
I suspect it started to cough and splutter, got rebuilt and still coughed and spluttered, as the carb is full of crap, and hopefully all that is wrong with the saw.
The condition is like new all over, so never seen heavy use.
It has a new barrel, piston, exhaust, but old original carb, and i am hoping it was mucky fuel and poor fuel that has stopped it from starting.
Will do the carb kit first and take it from there.
I will also do a compression and vacum test while waiting on the carb kit.

I need to source proper original panels as all are cheap nasty chinese ones that are so flimsy I can squish them with my fingers.

DSC_1617-web.jpg

I had also a strange experience here not long ago, logged in, but got logged into another persons account!!
I started to write this post and post it before I noticed something was wrong, as in my user name was wrong.
I messaged site owners to see why this happened. very strange and weird.

I know it is xmas eve, but still just another day to me.
Some snow would have been nice.
So a happy xmas to all who celebrate this.

I would get rid of the Chinese cylinder or your you’ll be making a silk purse out of a sow’s ear
So true, as have been doing a search already to see how much for a barrel and piston kit from Husky, and finding plenty of chinese ones out there, including all the garden centres and saw repair shops, also selling cheap chinese kits.

Here are more images of said xmas present to myself.
I consider it very clean and very good condtion for year of 2011. As stated above by Huskihl, I should and will swap out the new barrel kit, as basically still a new saw. Struggling to find a nice price for original husky parts.

365-01.jpg365-02.jpg365-03.jpg365-04.jpg365-05.jpg

I have a used xpw oem cylinder and piston. 75 cc. Let me know if you want more info. David
yes if possible David.
You have something I can use and you may never.

but if you have not shipped to the UK before, get ready for a nasty surpirse. The US and UK do not like the masses here in the UK buying from the US, as everything is cheaper in the US, so sting us on import taxes and duty to deter us from buying from there. I will no doubt end up having to grab one this end of the pond unfortunaely.

I have so far only found the recoil starter, orginal Husky one. New, and has cost me £60 just for this including delivery.

It also came with 2 bars and chains. One Oregon 20" and a new oregon chain, the other brand "Archer" 24" new, with a 84DL "Archer" chain to match.
The free red welding gauntlet gloves which had both bars and chains inside and heavily wrapped in parcel tape, probably done by the auction house who sold this saw on.
So saving a bit of money also for these freebies on top.
I'll bet a pair of welding gloves are £20 alone.

DSC_1636-web.jpg

Have you considered running it with the current cylinder/piston. I had a 365 with a hyway kit that ran great ( til it caught a ring)
This is what I was referring to ^^^.
If it was a Hiway, it ran about like a 350 or 359. We’ve seen them on the dyno making about 80% of the hp as oem, even the big bore, but you’d never know it without before and after timed cuts. If you don’t mind dragging around a heavy saw that runs like a small saw, then have at it. Or if you can’t find an oem cylinder and just need a running saw to cut wood, then by all means, do what you have to do. Just be aware that “runs good” might mean that it fires up and does exactly what it should. Might also mean that it starts after 15 pulls and stays running if you feather the gas until it will stay running wide open, but cuts the same speed as a 350.

And then when it catches a ring, sometimes that takes out the rod, crank, or case bearings. Hell of a gamble over all just to save a few $

Hi I have rebuilt lots of 372 and 365s all with oem kits.About 5 years ago i could buy a Mahle kit for 130 us to my door. The last one (last month) was 339 us to my door.They have changed manufacturers from Mahle 2 ring to Giradoni single ring.The Mahle cylinders were much nicer out of the box than the Giradoni.But the Mahle cylinders supply has about dried up.The single ring Giradoni run just fine and i think are made in Italy. I can get them from Italy for 239 us.But i can still get 365 Mahle cylinders for 143 us ( closed port 2 ring). The difference is 372 more power higher revs.365 low end grunt and less fuel.I simply won't use aftermarket on these saws.Just some food for thought good luck.

Have you considered running it with the current cylinder/piston. I had a 365 with a hyway kit that ran great ( til it caught a ring)
I am only going to get her running first, as remember to date, I have not heard this saw running or even firing, but this does not bother me. Then I will go from there.
All I am waiting on this end is the holidays to be over to get the postal side of life back to running. And bring me a recoil pull chord assembly.
It shows bought and paid for, but not dispatched, as compnay are obviously on holiday.

I simply won't use aftermarket on these saws.Just some food for thought good luck.
I hear you on the Mahle, but they are NOT quality german enginnering like mercedes.

I am confused, you say only OEM and then mention Mahle, who are just another run of the mill cheap parts supplier who source everything from chinese sweat shops. Maybe this is not known in the US. (They run and operate out of Stuttgart, Germany, so people assume it must be good high-end quality German engineering).

Thanks for the info everyone, as now got enough on what to do over this when I get it running.

I also am expecting the crank bearings to have been run hot or almost dry, so expecting the saw to vibrate more than it should on my initial first start-up.
I will sell the saw on when I am to old to use or lift it, and this is only a couple more years away unfortunately, so will have to go down the OEM route for piece of mind, as I could not sell something years later knowing it has parts that are liable to pop.

The saw will be getting seriously used and running flat-out as I have loads (7 to date) of old 2-4 feet diameter old oak trunks and trees in fields that farmers could not chop up when the winds come through the UK twice yearly.

They have come down on farm tracks and fences, and the usual akward places with very little or no real access to them.
I get to keep them for myself.
I will plank out some of them also for myself, but mostly firewood for me.

Sorry to bump this thread as nothing more to report apart from a grvelling apology.
I have made a stupid and sometimes made mistake. (by me anyway)
Steele 109, sorry, I have had a brain fog over O.E.M and genuine/Original.
O.E.M is made under licence/contract from/by the maker to a certain spec and standard.
My bad, as now I see why you are offering up good known makers of aftermarket parts.
Mahle, also never ever had a problem in life this end with thier parts. Including some fitted to my truck.
I did not mean or intend to be against them, and somehow I have managed to slag them off!!:crazy:
I should have stated as good as originals at a snip of the price.

Mahle ARE the manufacturer of the original (OEM) cylinders for many Husqvarna chainsaws (amongst others). You may be thinking of Meteor who make some of the better aftermarket cylinders & pistons & are the recommended go to for a replacement if you can't justify paying for OEM.
If you suspect the bearings to be bad or they dont feel 100% smooth there's not much point in shelling out for an OEM top end if you're not going to replace them & the seals etc too

There maybe a Mahle plant in china i don't know But what i do know is there is a Mahle plant in Morristown Tennessee.I worked at Assured castings and we did over run work for them.I have personally shot ping a lot of rods and pistons for them.Any way both the Mahle and Girardoni came out off Husqvarna boxes.I think they had to start making them in Italy to get away from the epa.Oh and i take no offence people can say what the want about me.I try to only talk about what i know about which is very limited.

An update on this old thread.
I have stripped the saw and found why it will not start or run for anything past a few revs before it dies.
The orginal saw, once a 365 special, 2011 model, looks like it was siezed and has had the entire top rebuilt with nasty cheap parts not fit for purpose.
The person who-ever did the rebuild made such a pigs ear of the rebuild, I was able to simply turn out the head bolts by finger!!

I did get the saw to fire up and run for a couple of seconds, (Petrol mix down the spark-plug hole) and in this time is when I spotted the cyclinder head gasket looked like it had a slight wetness on one bit, and when i noticed the darn head bolts were not tightened down, and defenitely not torqued down.
The piston has serious scores through out, and this might be because the piston and barrel were almost able to wobble around as not tightened down. I'll dig out the piston soon from the parts box and put up a pic.

I am stuggling to find a mahle kit but will keep looking.
I found two other kits, Hyway and Meteor, but these seem to be way lower down the scale of OEM.
Any advice on these two makers OEM parts, or should I hold out until I find the Mahle OEM cyclinder and piston?

To add insult to injury, the actual pawls and springs, and fittings have also been changed to have these cheap nasty and poorly made and fitting pawls from china.
These are what keep fouling up the pull chord from rewinding, so ordered orignal Husqvarna pawls and parts direct.
Husqvarna ones are bolted to the flywheel, not screwed in with nasty screws that you can mangle in seconds.
You will see the cheap nasty chinese pawls on the flywheel in the picture below.

I knew it was a problem saw when I bought it, so not too bothered at the time it may take to get back to working nearly as good as it should.

It did cross my mind if this was one of those fake chinese 365 Husqvarna's i got duped over, but luckily enough after stripping it I found it is a genuine Husqvarna, stamped in the right places and part numbers able to be seen etc. thank goodness.
As it would be very easy to put on a fake body tag and serial number etc on the body tag.

DSC_2071-web.jpg
DSC_2070-web.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_2068-web.jpg
    DSC_2068-web.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
The mahle cylinders are getting hard to find and expensive.But Husqvarna has changed to a girodoni cylinder made in italy.These are single ring cylinders and they run good.Just not as clean as mahle,i suspect because of the epa.There is a seller on ebay from italy that sells them for under 200.00.You can still get mahle 48 mm 365 cylinders.Since you have it tore down this far check the bearings and change the seals.In my saws i always change both, just cheap insurance.

Since you have it tore down this far check the bearings and change the seals.In my saws i always change both, just cheap insurance.
Thanks Steele, I already have the bearings and seals this end for her. Something as matter of course i do.
So glad others do this too.
And yes, I would be happy with just an orignal 48mm bore, keeping it a 365, and I also came across the name you mention but did not know anything about them.

Latest posts

Back