The "Not So Pro" discussion thread...of course Pros are welcome!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Attaching your pull line to the throw rope like that is cheating. You should pull a looped three braid 1” rope with shackle up that tree with the pull line. FWIW, I could have blocked the road and electrocuted anyone who dared to touch the stem in half the time fooling with that rope took. Ron

While electrocuting people can be fun.

its not worth the 15 to life.

All told I think I had an hour into that one tree, finding and moving rigging, rigging tree, finding and retrieving saw, tensioning, cutting, limbing, bucking etc.

Compared to the $10000 minimum that the power company charges for fixing lines, its well worth the time.

Things go a lot faster and generally smoother with 2 people for this kind of work, but as mentioned in the vid, taint no one worth a **** that can actually show up and do what I ask of them. As it is I probably put 7 miles on my boots just getting the rigging sorted in a day like this.

While electrocuting people can be fun.

its not worth the 15 to life.

All told I think I had an hour into that one tree, finding and moving rigging, rigging tree, finding and retrieving saw, tensioning, cutting, limbing, bucking etc.

Compared to the $10000 minimum that the power company charges for fixing lines, its well worth the time.

Things go a lot faster and generally smoother with 2 people for this kind of work, but as mentioned in the vid, taint no one worth a **** that can actually show up and do what I ask of them. As it is I probably put 7 miles on my boots just getting the rigging sorted in a day like this.
Most of the time if you call they'll come drop the lines as well.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Most of the time if you call they'll come drop the lines as well.

They will happily drop the house hold supply lines, but they will not drop the high tension lines that supply multiple houses etc.

Basically if there is a transformer after the spot you need to cross, its a no.

The lines I'm dealing with on this project supply several hundred customers.

They will happily drop the house hold supply lines, but they will not drop the high tension lines that supply multiple houses etc.

Basically if there is a transformer after the spot you need to cross, its a no.

The lines I'm dealing with on this project supply several hundred customers.
Interesting we've had them dropped on a main roadway before it always helps with the pucker factor.

Different states? Different rules?

They will drop the bigger lines, but I would have to pay for it then, and as slow as I work...

It would be different if there where less problematic trees, say one or 2, but the entire line next to this road are leaning just a little towards the road, and limb heavy on that side, road predates these trees, so they all need special attention

As it is I think I can get away with bull line and the Big Shot on most of em, 2 for sure will need climbed as they are waaaayyy to big for ropes, and will get cabled instead, and probably 2 jacks... gonna need help with them, to much for the Missus to be trusted alone with.

I would say things would be different if I had a proper log loader, since then you could positively hook from behind and pull em with the machine. But then the outfit that cleared a few acres next to the house here a month or so ago, had 2 shovels and a processor and managed to take out the power 3 times in as many weeks. Sketch trees get a line, and then I worry less.

Different states? Different rules?

They will drop the bigger lines, but I would have to pay for it then, and as slow as I work...

It would be different if there where less problematic trees, say one or 2, but the entire line next to this road are leaning just a little towards the road, and limb heavy on that side, road predates these trees, so they all need special attention

As it is I think I can get away with bull line and the Big Shot on most of em, 2 for sure will need climbed as they are waaaayyy to big for ropes, and will get cabled instead, and probably 2 jacks... gonna need help with them, to much for the Missus to be trusted alone with.

I would say things would be different if I had a proper log loader, since then you could positively hook from behind and pull em with the machine. But then the outfit that cleared a few acres next to the house here a month or so ago, had 2 shovels and a processor and managed to take out the power 3 times in as many weeks. Sketch trees get a line, and then I worry less.
Easiest threat with them is ok if you don't drop them I'll leave the tree and land owners is killing them that normally gets the point across, as a land owner having trees along both along a road and of head wires we can opt out of their crews touching the timber. Last time they touched some of our stuff they had a suit for cutting a beautiful 5' fir for no reason after which they paid and haven't touched a tree without asking again.

... .

... .

Come on, NM. Quit hurting those trees with your spikes and save your back. Pull line and you pulls bull rope. Missus and bull rope pulls cable. Cable and something big pulls tree.

Ron

Come on, NM. Quit hurting those trees with your spikes and save your back. Pull line and you pulls bull rope. Missus and bull rope pulls cable. Cable and something big pulls tree.

Ron
Ya wanna help pull 120' of 1/2 cable 60' up a tree? With all the fuzzies of a poorly trimed splice hanging up on everything?

I might even let ya run muh new to me 084

Ya wanna help pull 120' of 1/2 cable 60' up a tree? With all the fuzzies of a poorly trimed splice hanging up on everything?

I might even let ya run muh new to me 084
How many parts are still available for those old 084 anymore? Last cable I set in a tree involved a not so fun ride up on the heel rack of the shovel let's just say it's not my cup of tea and my shorts needed changed afterwards.

Teach me to run the 440A. You put the bull rope in the tree and I’ll pull up the cable.

Former local AS poster had an 084. Called it his firewood saw. He and I went to Terry Landrum’s first gtg together. He took it and a friend of mine took my SP125C. I was on stroke watch at the time so I couldn’t even carry my own saw much less run his 084. I know several were impressed with his firewood saw. He moved before I recovered so I never got to try it.

Ron

How many parts are still available for those old 084 anymore? Last cable I set in a tree involved a not so fun ride up on the heel rack of the shovel let's just say it's not my cup of tea and my shorts needed changed afterwards.

Got a new piston and cyl today, gasket should be here tomorrow, plastics and what not probably not available, I imagine the fuel tank is a go fish. Most everything else is the same as an 088, except some of the anti vibe stuff, and that I hear you can modify the 088 stuff.

I got it for a song, literally, so I'm not to concerned about it, if it fires and spins a 50" bar I'll be happy, besides the internet has nearly everything else I would need for it anyway. Keeps me from buying a new 880 at like $2100 plus $400 in bar and chain.

Teach me to run the 440A. You put the bull rope in the tree and I’ll pull up the cable.

Former local AS poster had an 084. Called it his firewood saw. He and I went to Terry Landrum’s first gtg together. He took it and a friend of mine took my SP125C. I was on stroke watch at the time so I couldn’t even carry my own saw much less run his 084. I know several were impressed with his firewood saw. He moved before I recovered so I never got to try it.

Ron

The ole Deere is a ***** cat once you get past the psycho range transmission 2 shifters and 12 differnt speed and direction combinations... none of them just right, either too slow or too fast. Otherwise its mostly just sit in the cab well out of danger, and shove the winch lever forward when I flap my arms like a maniac, or nudge it when I signal to nudge it... Yet people still screw this up?

And the whole turning from the middle bit, can throw yer sense of direction a little bit at first, but easy to get used to.

For the cable it really is easier just to spur up and wrap a choker around em, need someone on the ground to tie off the cable so it can be hauled up though.

Got a new piston and cyl today, gasket should be here tomorrow, plastics and what not probably not available, I imagine the fuel tank is a go fish. Most everything else is the same as an 088, except some of the anti vibe stuff, and that I hear you can modify the 088 stuff.

I got it for a song, literally, so I'm not to concerned about it, if it fires and spins a 50" bar I'll be happy, besides the internet has nearly everything else I would need for it anyway. Keeps me from buying a new 880 at like $2100 plus $400 in bar and chain.

The ole Deere is a ***** cat once you get past the psycho range transmission 2 shifters and 12 differnt speed and direction combinations... none of them just right, either too slow or too fast. Otherwise its mostly just sit in the cab well out of danger, and shove the winch lever forward when I flap my arms like a maniac, or nudge it when I signal to nudge it... Yet people still screw this up?

And the whole turning from the middle bit, can throw yer sense of direction a little bit at first, but easy to get used to.

For the cable it really is easier just to spur up and wrap a choker around em, need someone on the ground to tie off the cable so it can be hauled up though.
400 is what I paid for my 60" with 2 chains at Madsen's, there's days I wish I would of got a 50" but the 60" will do everything I need and then some.

Once I get it running, probably Sat. Madsens is getting a call going with a 50" (though there is a local shop here that may or may not have some NOS loooong bars I may or may not be able to talk him out of, actually I know he has em, its just a matter of getting him to part with em at a price I'm willing to pay)

For the time being I have a 36" hard nose that lives on the 090, that would look just fine on the 084.

I've only needed a saw this big on a few jobs, and it really would have come in handy when I needed it, but 60" is overkill, so far that's the biggest tree I've ever fell, and likely to stay that way for a long time.

hmmm

I can remember a time when I would look at the timber I'm in now like "oh man I wish I could land some pumpkins like that" or "Imagine the noise that thing would make"

Now its yep, its pretty good, but see that defect there, or, I don't know its leaning a little wrong, or yep, nice soft landing, barely made a wump.

I mean used to be the best thing about Doug fir is they would delimb themselves when they landed... break all to hell, and leave you with 6 short logs and 1 long log, but I didn't spend an hour limbing them...

Back