This is Why I Hate Oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm gonna test some again in June. Be about 20 months. When I tested some in November it was still upper 20's. Bought the only thing that seems to dry in a year around my house is elm, ash, and box elder. Although if you cut sugar maple when it isn't full of sap it does pretty well.

Again. Any additional information would be appreciated. You guys make it sound like puking was something you did between History and French class.
I can't remember ever seen puking at school, other than with 13 year olds who over did the pre-school-party drinking.
And that was never inside.

Trying to scrape up some culture
Ya,and some of the really shy girls would pee in their desks
rather than risk the hand up and ask to use the washroom
poor girls,the puddles under the desk would surely be worse

I agree 100 % about the inconvenience of drying time for green oak.

BUT can't believe what some of y'all get for a cord of oak.....most you'll get around here for a cord of Oak is $160 and that's at gun point, people are conservative.

I will also say.....it's up to the buyer to buy wood in advance and season it themselves. I go from the woods to the homeowner but always let them know the state of the wood.

Aunt just had a nice Napoleon wood stove installed last fall. I was there the other day and asked how they liked it. Well we aren't liking is as much as the old Fischer.

Went and looked at it seemed to be doing a poor job for the temp outside. Then I looked at the wood. It was all oak bought 1 yr ahead stored outside stacked on a slab covered with tarps.

Honestly think the moisture just a little high yet. I suggested they get a tester before deciding to be rid of it. (Close to 3k installed). Guess I might buy one and see myself.

I know they buy wood from the same source they have for decades. Probably have to plan 2 years on hand or better.

If not it could be the chimney. Its classic block and clay liner on the outside of the house and exterior insulated and sided. I think an insulated pipe liner would improve the draft significantly.

But she already spend a boat load of cash on what's there.

So I don't know why I am "smell oriented" but I can remember a lot about school by smells... Crayons , the vinyl seats on the school bus for example... and back when I was in school they didn't have Xerox machines, they used "Ditto" machines and when the teacher would pass out these papers...hot off the press... the ink was purplish and the papers felt warm and moist and had a very specific odor that I can't describe.

Anyhow the school-barf thing sticks in my nose because I can still see our janitor, Mr. Elser who was about 99 years old, big and strapping like John Wayne. He wore blue janitor clothes...flood pants and matching blue button down shirt... and he had about 127 keys on his belt loop. Whenever a kid would puke he was on clean up duty. He would push the rickety mop bucket down the hall, clean up the yack, and he had this aerosol can that he would spray on the cleaned up area as a final disinfectant I suppose. Anyhow, the lingering aroma of the nasty barf with the contents of the aerosol can left a bruise on my olfactory system that I cannot escape. EVERY TIME I cut up a green oak log, I am taken back to school waiting for Mr Elser to clean the mess up.

In grade school it was a pretty much daily occurrence that somebody would puke in a class or hall way. I had 280-some kids in my graduating class so the odds went way up. I still remember that smell like it was yesterday too.

As for Oak, I'm right there with you. I don't mind the smell of the wood when cutting or splitting but I hate burning it. It takes way too long to dry out, smokes if not perfectly dry, and makes the worst creosote of any wood I've ever burned. Two full years, if not longer, for the Bur Oak around me. The Red Oak I have access to is Pin Oak and can me sufficiently dried out in 365 days, no less though.

So I don't know why I am "smell oriented" but I can remember a lot about school by smells... Crayons , the vinyl seats on the school bus for example... and back when I was in school they didn't have Xerox machines, they used "Ditto" machines and when the teacher would pass out these papers...hot off the press... the ink was purplish and the papers felt warm and moist and had a very specific odor that I can't describe.

Anyhow the school-barf thing sticks in my nose because I can still see our janitor, Mr. Elser who was about 99 years old, big and strapping like John Wayne. He wore blue janitor clothes...flood pants and matching blue button down shirt... and he had about 127 keys on his belt loop. Whenever a kid would puke he was on clean up duty. He would push the rickety mop bucket down the hall, clean up the yack, and he had this aerosol can that he would spray on the cleaned up area as a final disinfectant I suppose. Anyhow, the lingering aroma of the nasty barf with the contents of the aerosol can left a bruise on my olfactory system that I cannot escape. EVERY TIME I cut up a green oak log, I am taken back to school waiting for Mr Elser to clean the mess up.
I read a study a few years ago and it said smell was the number 1 sense linked to memory. In that study, taken in the 70's in the US, the number one smell people remembered from their childhood and school was "magic markers". I remember the ditto paper and pulling the cap off markers, Joe.

I live on the gulf cost, humidity in our middle name. Still, 2 years to season is very slow, compared to my dry times. I can only guess at the moisture content since I don't have a meter.

But up here, we can only dream about the temperatures you have in the winter, and then we are glad we don't see your summer temps either. I think drying is a combination of year round temperature, humidity and sunlight, none of which are not real conducive to drying in this area...

This thread brings a whole new multi-sense perspective to Oak seasoning time. I live in SE PA, in the middle of a nice wood lot where unfortunately the big 80-100 year old Red Oak are dying at a rate faster than I can process them at the rate I am willing to work. So, every October - April, I cut, split, and single rank stack about 12-16 cord depending on the snow. 90% of the trees I cut down have been standing dead long enough to loosen at least, or lose all bark. Still, when cut and split my moisture content is in the mid to high 30's, frequently hitting 39%. In my experience these splits will season out 2-3% per month, of course depending on the weather. April is not a good seasoning month. So, this wood seasons a full year, and is RFU in 12 months at something under 20% on the mm. At my volumes, I don't have a storage problem. My stacks start moving in September, so I am replenishing those same stacks for next year as soon as one clears. It's kind of a rhythm method.

Now, on to the reason for following posts like this:

In my little elementary school, one class per grade, maybe 20-25 students per grade, so something over 100 kids. There was a kid puke incident/week. And, our janitor/handyman/boiler monitor would bring mop and bucket to clean up the result, then spray that industrial strength disinfectant/deodorant stuff in a wide circle around the offended spot. I found the smell of the spray almost, but not quite, as bad as the puke.

First time I thought of that experience in about 60 years. Thanks for the memories!

Remembered that all the school buses carried sealed foil bags of sawdust with some kind of scent already on it for the obligatory kid that threw up on bus (almost always in the isle at the front so everyone had to jump over it) along with a aresol can of disinfectant. As soon as the driver opened up the bag you could smell it in the back of the bus instantly. Think the janitors at the school had something similar too to cover up the puke until they could get the proper things to clean it up.

But up here, we can only dream about the temperatures you have in the winter, and then we are glad we don't see your summer temps either. I think drying is a combination of year round temperature, humidity and sunlight, none of which are not real conducive to drying in this area...

Well I hadn't considered freezing weather. Kinda hard for water to evaporate when it's frozen.

I read a study a few years ago and it said smell was the number 1 sense linked to memory. In that study, taken in the 70's in the US, the number one smell people remembered from their childhood and school was "magic markers". I remember the ditto paper and pulling the cap off markers, Joe.

I agree, Some smells you only have to smell once and you never forget.

I had to dip into my stash of oak today. Its so windy this 1900-ish house refuses to hold the heat. Gusting to about 40mph today again. Not nice!

Back