timing advance?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C SAW 090

Extremist Chainsaw Junkie
Reaction score
I would like to try advancing the timing on a 26 i have, could i get some pointers pleaze?

What keeps the flywheel from moving around? Just the tightness of the flywheel nut

Yea but if i grind the key and move the flywheel a ch isn't there gonna be a gap on the other side of the key that would have to be filled?

No need to fill the other side of the cut key. The tapered crank and flywheel will lock it tight. Degrease the crank and flywheel and if your still worried add a little valve lapping compound to the crank.

There will be a gap, but as said above the key isn't holding the flywheel in position except during assembly.

Ideally the factory key would fit perfectly with no gap, so when assembled the flywheel would be perfectly aligned. When you grind the key then you create a gap which allows you to rotate the flywheel with respect to the crank. You can now rotate it either way however, and when you assemble it you must make sure it is rotated the correct direction (with respect to the crank) while you tighten the nut.

You want the flywheel to be rotated CCW when looking at the flywheel. Of course, the nut is trying to spin it CW, so make sure you are holding the flywheel as you start tightening the nut (not holding the case and relying on piston stop) otherwise the nut will try to pull it back CW. Three hands would be helpful but it can be done.

Back to your question:

Either file half the key as mentioned, or mark the face if the flywheel with a Sharpie where the keyway is and on the snout of the crankshaft where the key slot is. Then make a half slot advance and tighten the nut. You'll need to exercise caution so that the flywheel doesn't turn on the shaft while your tightening it up. (That is/was the job of the key.)

how much are you taking off the fly wheel? 30 to 40 thousands.how much will it advance.are all saws the same 044,064 .etc.

how much are you taking off the fly wheel? 30 to 40 thousands.how much will it advance.are all saws the same 044,064 .etc.

ON my PP5020 I took 1/16 0r about .060 off, advances it 3 to 4 degrees from my reaching a couple other forums. Made a big difference on my saw, RPMs in the cut remain higher and was able to lean out the H mixture about 1/16 of a turn,was really 4 stroking early in the cut, early ignite better combustion efficiency would be my guess. You might be better off removing small increments to see how your saw performs . Good luck at yours.

Back