Tire splitting ring

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodchuck357

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I put a splitting ring together for a friend today, took about 20 minutes. Used stainless wire to sew up the two tire sidewalls after burning holes with soldering iron.100_1174.JPG 100_1176.JPG Might make her a smaller one from lawnmower tires for kindling!

Is that 2 tires sewn together? Or the 2 pieces together? What's the advantage of that vs just using a tire as is? I've just been using a couple old tires sitting on splitting blocks. Always looking for better or easier ways though.

Nice.

Why did you cut the beads off? Seems like a lot of extra work.

I was thinking ATV tires would be a good size: wide tread, but not too large in diameter.

I was thinking that 4 bolts and nuts would also hold them together.

Philbert

Takes less than a minute to cut a bead off, saves weight and lets bigger rounds fit in. Makes it easier to sew them together. If I came across a couple of 17 inch low profile tires I might leave the beads on.

Is that 2 tires sewn together? Or the 2 pieces together? What's the advantage of that vs just using a tire as is? I've just been using a couple old tires sitting on splitting blocks. Always looking for better or easier ways though.
Two tires, having two tires stacked makes it nearly impossible for strikes to hit the ground. Cutting the beads off lets bigger/more rounds fit in. Sewing them together just makes them easier to work with.

Nice.

Why did you cut the beads off? Seems like a lot of extra work.

I was thinking ATV tires would be a good size: wide tread, but not too large in diameter.

I was thinking that 4 bolts and nuts would also hold them together.

Philbert
Punching holes for bolts would take more time and hitting a bolt with an ax edge might not be good.

Screw the tire to a round and you will never hit the ground. 22 inch low profile are awesome splitters.

More force delivered to round when it is on the ground. Less lifting splitting on the ground. Safer, almost impossible to hit your foot or leg when splitting rounds setting on the ground.

Screw the tire to a round and you will never hit the ground. 22 inch low profile are awesome splitters.

Thats how mine are set up. Couple of 35" across splitting rounds, 1 has 18" tire & 1 16" tire. Couple of screws to hold them down. Buddy has a 24" tire that I'm going to use on a 3rd round for the big stuff.

Good back saving thread here! I've got two spent 15" tires laying around in the garage ready for this project.

More force delivered to round when it is on the ground. Less lifting splitting on the ground. Safer, almost impossible to hit your foot or leg when splitting rounds setting on the ground.

To each there own, I like the block for it is impossible to hit foot or leg, and has much less force put on the lower back. Although I very rarely swing with full force, 1/2 speed tends to do it for me. So glad a found the tire trick, makes splitting 100 times easier.

I haven't tryed it yet, but I got a Fiskers for Christmas and I have rounded up a 22" really low profile tire. It is 10" wide, or tall as it lays on the ground. I am planning on cutting a big round about 8" to lay under it and maybe screw the tire to it. Is a 10" wide tire gonna keep my wood in place, or is it gonna jump out of the tire? I cut all my firewood 18" long.

The wood should stay in the tire ok, don't think my tires are more than 8" tall when on the stump. Never had any wood come out yet. I've had the opposite happen, put in a round that was too close to the tire size. Split it 6 or 8 ways and then had a struggle getting them out of the tire. Bigger tires you can fit in several smaller rounds.

Set up with two stacked tires sewn together and splitting on the ground, when the splitting is done if the wood is tight in the ring, tip it over and give the center splits a whack to drive them out. With the splits loose, pick up the ring and drop it over the next round or drop more smaller rounds in. I tried single tires, loose doubled tires, bungee cords with and without chain, and tires setting on stumps. Try every different way before deciding what your way is. I give the ax a flip when it hits the wood so sometimes it goes flying, so two tires are needed for me.
I have been splitting wood for over 60 years, doing logging and tree work for over 50. I will still try almost any thing with an open mind and change when something works better for me. Wish I had learned the tire trick 50 years earlier.

Last edited:
Is there anything under the tire? Or does the round sit on the ground? Seems like something under the tire would provide a better split

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Any thing under the tire would be setting on the ground, right? Unless you dig a footing and fill it with concrete any chopping block is just a cushion between the round and the ground.

I have good luck using a 10-12" high round under the tire. For me it seems to have less bounce or cushion, especially when using a maul. Also don't have to bend over so much. Roll them off truck/trailer, onto the block, split & stack.

Latest posts

Back