Trappers please help catch a #$@*(&% Groundhog

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimberWolf530

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I just had one show up at my house 3 days ago. I was out splitting, and I look over and there he is staring me right in the face. I moved, he ran under the barn. I researched ways to trap him, and decided snares was the best way to go about catching him with the least possibility of getting the neighbors dog, so I ordered some. The next day a giant hole appeared in my back yard. I figure he has two entrances, one under the barn, and the one in the yard. I set the snares at both entrances, and he appears to just be knocking them out of his way because they're just laying flat on the ground next to the holes with nothing in them when I check them. This is my first attempt at snaring, so I'm probably doing something wrong. Any advice would be appreciated. I can take pictures of how they are set and post if that would help.

Cantaloupe is the preferred food to catch groundhogs. Set up the snare so there is no option but to go through it to get to the melon. I have live trapped a few on my place with the LARGE have a heart trap, and the melon worked great every time. Lead also works well... They usually do have a couple of entrances to their burrows, as you have seen...

Had a few try to burrow under my firewood stacks.

I got rid of one couple weeks ago with the bow. Is that an option for tour oocation.
I have houses all around me. So need to be carfull.
Did cost me an arow but was worth it to get rid of him.
3d08bc8a5e75e9179ec0b8e7f4b50f43.jpg
f346ce38db3b696df13a7ac5ded325e6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Cantaloupe is the preferred food to catch groundhogs. Set up the snare so there is no option but to go through it to get to the melon. I have live trapped a few on my place with the LARGE have a heart trap, and the melon worked great every time. Lead also works well... They usually do have a couple of entrances to their burrows, as you have seen...

Had a few try to burrow under my firewood stacks.
I have great luck using peaches in my live trap.

So you where the person dropping them off near my house in Holly, MI. :buttkick::lol:
That's the thing. I like people more than rodents, and if I relocate it, then I'm just giving someone else my problem. Thing is, there is a 20 acre woods right behind my house, and this little bastage has to dig a hole right in the middle of my yard.

I have 2 acres of alfalfa out back corn to right soybeans to left and more corn behind- so where do i find digger dan - yep dead center in the alfalfa, dropped the front right side in the hole- had bucket on , so I pushed my self up and out, belley mower was hung up so I could not back out. I will get him/her sooner or later. Last time I spotted 1 was apx 100yds out- 223 or 22/250 territory.

My wife prefers I just relocate them. And I'm not a fan of killing stuff myself unless I have no other choice
My wife was like that too. I trapped and dropped off a stray cat. Week or so later stupid stray cat came back. I started taking care of the animals my way. No more live traps.

My wife was like that too. I trapped and dropped off a stray cat. Week or so later stupid stray cat came back. I started taking care of the animals my way. No more live traps.

You or your wife feed it, didn't you? ;) :yes: Had that happen to me once, cat lived here over 10 years. :dumb:

Latest posts

Back