Trappers please help catch a #$@*(&% Groundhog

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had good luck with a Havahart trap when there is a groundhog or rabbit in the greenhouse. An apple core usually works fine for bait. I wash the trap thoroughly by total submersion before I release the critter.

I have also had good luck getting groundhogs to move out by filling their entrances with fresh dog feces. I think this works because fox often take over groundhog burrows.

Now clean it be sure to remove the glands under the front legs and cook it.

They are vegitarians so no fear of them eatting crap.

groundhogs have musk glands in their armpits. YOU MUST REMOVE THESE IF YOU DON’T WANT TO THROW UP FROM THE STINK OF BRAISED MUSK GLANDS AS THEY BOIL AWAY! If you have difficulty finding (or shooting) groundhog, you can substitute two rabbits or six pounds of chicken.

Ingredients
  • 1 (5 to 6 pound) groundhog, cut into 6 serving pieces
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 3/4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
  • 2 medium onions, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
  • 3/4 stick unsalted butter, cut into tablespoon size pieces
  • 2 1/2 cups dry white wine
  • 1/3 cup Dijon mustard
  • 1/4 cup whole grain mustard
Directions
  1. Rinse the groundhog pieces, remove any fat, and cut out the glands underneath the front legs and armpits, then pat the meat dry. Season with 1 tablespoon Kosher salt and 1 teaspoon pepper.
  2. Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet, then brown the meat, in batches. This will take about 5 minutes per batch. Transfer the meat to a medium heavy pot. Reserve the skillet.
  3. Add the broth to the pot.
  4. Pour off any fat from skillet, then add the onions, garlic, thyme, and 3 tablespoons butter and cook over medium heat, stirring and scraping up any brown bits, until onions are softened. This will take about 5 minutes.
  5. Add the wine and boil until the liquid is reduced by half. This will take about 8 minutes.
  6. Pour the mixture over the groundhog. Cover the pot and bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat. Braise the groundhog until it is very tender. This will take 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
  7. Transfer the groundhog to a serving dish and keep warm.
  8. Bring the liquid in the pot to a boil and reduce it to about 3 cups. This will take about 10 minutes. Whisk in the mustards. Remove the pan from the heat and add the remaining 3 tablespoons butter, swirling the pot until incorporated. Season sauce with salt and pepper and pour over the groundhog.

:D Al

yeah, cook that sucker and preserve the pelt in its brain juice. i cooked one in a pan with garlic and onion, tasted just like roast beef

Ive got multiples of these around me, very very skittish. Only have havahart traps. What veg/fruit works best for the traps?

I'd only use havahart traps if that was only option. I've used those for feral cats.

If you do catch one, where is going to go? They taste good. Foxes, Yotes, and crows will eat them too.

I like to sit out evenings after a BBQ, with a 22LR or air rifle. If traps are permitted, and no pets to worry about a leghold or conibear at the hole. Fumigation bombs are quick and efficient too, ~ $6/4pk at hardware stores.

They are in barns and buildings and cannot get a clear shot. Dog is scared ****less of guns, will damage something or acts stupid for hours if they come out casually, so thats not an option.

I can "relocate in a safe manner" as needed if the dog is inside, but everything I've tried so far (carrots for instance) don't work in the havaharts. Someone said peaches and melon. Just looking for more options.

They are in barns and buildings and cannot get a clear shot. Dog is scared ****less of guns, will damage something or acts stupid for hours if they come out casually, so thats not an option.

I can "relocate in a safe manner" as needed if the dog is inside, but everything I've tried so far (carrots for instance) don't work in the havaharts. Someone said peaches and melon. Just looking for more options.

Keep dog inside, #3-4 leghold (for big chucks) or #220- conibear where they enter. If caught in a leghold, wop them with a stout 4' piece of hardwood.

Sit outside at a table, with a 22lr, relax, have some chips/salsa. Pop them off as they come out.

If you "relocate", make that is to a trashcan full of water

get a subscription: https://www.furfishgame.com/

Keep dog inside, #3-4 leghold (for big chucks) or #220- conibear where they enter. If caught in a leghold, wop them with a stout 4' piece of hardwood.

Sit outside at a table, with a 22lr, relax, have some chips/salsa. Pop them off as they come out.

If you "relocate", make that is to a trashcan full of water

get a subscription: https://www.furfishgame.com/
Conibear #220 is what I used. Perfect size for the fat little pig I caught. These things are destructive, and re-locating is just causing someone else grief. Luckily one of the entrances was in a place where I could barricade it off from the neighbors dog who had taken a liking to chasing him back in his hole. I recommend the Conibear over the leg trap because it eliminates the need for wopping.

Conibear #220 is what I used. Perfect size for the fat little pig I caught. These things are destructive, and re-locating is just causing someone else grief. Luckily one of the entrances was in a place where I could barricade it off from the neighbors dog who had taken a liking to chasing him back in his hole. I recommend the Conibear over the leg trap because it eliminates the need for wopping.

I've wopped a lot of them.

Once I was checking a field for mowing, big SOB just stayed right out in field. Rabies? On way back I had hardwood club, MOfer came after me. WHOMP!

Just be careful with cats/dogs and conibears. I've let cats go with legholds. Skunks? Well conibear or leghold don't make much difference.

I HATE groundhogs more than anything. Please don't recommend conibear traps for hogs. They are to be used as an under water set only. Not sure about other states but if you get caught here in PA its a hefty fine. I know most of you wouldn't want to find your pet dead in one. I know I'll catch grief for this post but :wtf:.

I HATE groundhogs more than anything. Please don't recommend conibear traps for hogs. They are to be used as an under water set only. Not sure about other states but if you get caught here in PA its a hefty fine. I know most of you wouldn't want to find your pet dead in one. I know I'll catch grief for this post but :wtf:.

I understand conibears. Still very useful as an underwater set, or cubbys in trees for marten/fishers. But what you catch is DOA.

I did legholds years ago, you can let things go , but sometimes it not fun, trying not to get bit/sprayed. I caught my own cat once, in a 1 1/2 leg hold, let her go and she was fine in a few days.

I like shooting them woodchucks, it's good practice. Years ago we used our deer rifles, if you can shoot a chuck in the head at 200 yds, a deer is easy peasy.

I just shot a chuck, but I have a "dumb phone", can't post it.

I understand conibears. Still very useful as an underwater set, or cubbys in trees for marten/fishers. But what you catch is DOA.

I did legholds years ago, you can let things go , but sometimes it not fun, trying not to get bit/sprayed. I caught my own cat once, in a 1 1/2 leg hold, let her go and she was fine in a few days.

I like shooting them woodchucks, it's good practice. Years ago we used our deer rifles, if you can shoot a chuck in the head at 200 yds, a deer is easy peasy.

I just shot a chuck, but I have a "dumb phone", can't post it.
I like sneakin up on them in the sweet corn patches with the 12 gauge. 00 buck. .222 works good at long range.

Check your local laws. In Indiana no permit is need to kill them by hunting or trapping. As far as pets, as stated, I barricaded the area the chuck was in so that dogs could not get to it.

Latest posts

Back