Tree I.D. help please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skinnykid02

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have these 2 big blow downs, I have already cut and split one of them to burn. This wood is super hard to split. I looked it up and the closest thing I can find to it is Pumpkin Ash but I am not convinced. Here are some pics of it.

000_0298.jpg

000_0297.jpg

000_0296.jpg

000_0295.jpg

thanks

Looks like an ash by the bark, but I've never heard of this one.

Are the small branches supporting the leaved found opposite each other on the stem, or do they alternate as they go up the tree?

That is a very diagnostic trait of trees that simplifies any tree ID by reducing the field of trees to choose from. Ash have opposite branching, as do Maple, Dogwood, and Buckeye. (There are probably lots of others, also; but I haven't heard of them, either.)

Are the leaves simple, or compound? You should send a photo of the entire leaf and it's associated twigs, still assembled.

Last edited:
The look of the wood: bark + long grain + end grain + hard to split = catalpa

...but the leaf is wrong. How sure are you that leaf belongs to that wood?

EDIT: Catalpa logs will also be lighter than similarly sized oak, ash, hard maple.

Last edited:
The look of the wood: bark + long grain + end grain + hard to split = catalpa

...but the leaf is wrong. How sure are you that leaf belongs to that wood?

EDIT: Catalpa logs will also be lighter than similarly sized oak, ash, hard maple.

Not sure about Catalpa but I agree, the bark and leaf don't seem to go together. I though the bark looked like American Elm - which would be hard to split.

Not sure about Catalpa but I agree, the bark and leaf don't seem to go together. I though the bark looked like American Elm - which would be hard to split.

It was like splitting a boulder. Hard, not stringy like elm tends to be (right?)

Definitely not a Catalpa. And if by Swamp ash you are thinking of Fraxinus nigra. Definitely not.

I agree on the question: Are you sure this leaf went with this tree??? Why is it so dark green at this time of year?

There is a single leaf ash (see the link I posted above) and the leaf looks somewhat like it. But I am still not sure of that either.

The bark is wrong for an American elm. And interior wood on elm tends to be more reddish and very fibrous...a real :censored: to split.

But the interior color had me thinking black locust...but the bark AND leaf aren't right.

So, as others have suggested...more info or samples on the leaves and twigs would help alot.

Sylvia

I think Sylvia got it on first post

It looks very like the correct ID from the start, including the simple leaves.

The referenced page above has options, look at more info on the tree as listed here: http://woodyplants.nres.uiuc.edu/plant/fraexhe00 This page even states "...this selection also has lustrous dark green leaves that are notably simple rather than compound."

None of my books even list this tree, so I can't add any differential ID information.

Last edited:
Definitely not a Catalpa. And if by Swamp ash you are thinking of Fraxinus nigra. Definitely not.

I agree on the question: Are you sure this leaf went with this tree??? Why is it so dark green at this time of year?

Sylvia

I took a picture of the leaf over the summer when I first cut another tree like it.

as I've known it, swamp ash= Fraxinus pennsylvanica

Thanks for the clarification, Blewgrass. We don't call the Fraxinus pennsylvanica swamp ash here...we call it Green Ash. But that is why botanical names are so important, eh? So we can tell if we are talking about the same tree.

The F. pennsylvanica doesn't have the strongly dentate margins that are showing in the op's pic. And, of course, this would mean also that the op showed us just part of the leaf and not n its entirety.

Sylvia

Sorry I didn't get a better pic. If I can still get a leaf of the tree, I will take a pic of it.

Back