Tree ID help please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FB2486DF-5133-49BB-B2F1-5F9280D2DD47.jpeg 14E68918-F596-4756-9D26-05BC0BA4BC75.jpeg 8C05FE01-5C4E-4133-AEF7-241FE01E675F.jpeg

I went ahead and cut it down, the bark up higher in the tree looks like the other small elms I have around but the leaves are much larger. I took a picture of where I made a cut in the higher branches to show what the wood color is.

I was wrong...that is basswood!

that 1st bark pic in the first post you asked about this tree doesn't look anything like basswood. Neither does that wood in the first pic here. the other bark pics you added look like basswood as do the leaves and buds.

Ok I appreciate you guys taking the time to look at this for me. When I cut it down I noticed the wood was really yellow and super wet, granted the tree had a lot of damage and some hollows that water could collect in. Basswood would be interesting to save some if I can get a decent enough piece without any rot, never know might come up with an idea for a project later.

bass wood bark looks like norway maple. i think there are 3 kinds of linden.

mullberry?
I like that even better! I didn't like the wood at all for basswood and was trying to make it fit with the decay.

I've never seen one with all "plain" leaves...but everything else fits. Honestly haven't paid that much attention to mulberry buds before because I never get that far before being able to ID it. Looked them up - it is a match.

I think you got it.

Thank you all very much! I don’t think I will burn it other than the fire pit. I cut and stack for my smoker and also split wood for my elderly neighbors who heat with wood. They are in poor health these days and I try to help them as much as I can. Normally I take up red and white oak, generally what I use in my smoker. Would this wood be alright mixed with oak in a soap stone stove? I don’t mind splitting and stacking and seasoning as I have room. The elderly man next door is a bit particular about what he burns and I don’t fault him for that he has a real nice stove.

If you're in Oklahoma, that's mulberry. During June or thereabouts it would have been dropping berries, leaving purple stain. The yellow wood is a giveaway for mulberry. Very nice firewood.

Latest posts

Back