Need help identifying this log!! 🪵

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rakerhead50

Reaction score
I cannot identify what type of tree this is. My phone will not identify it either. Can anyone tell me what it is? The bark is pretty thick (about 2 inches) and rough. It appears to be like walnut bark, but there is no dark center as you can see. The wood looks similar to silver maple wood and seems pretty hard.

Attachments

• 036A2F7B-85EC-4454-A510-388A74201756.jpeg
    036A2F7B-85EC-4454-A510-388A74201756.jpeg
    324.7 KB · Views: 0
  • A82C9965-F2EB-4EA8-BCEE-4CF90F78A54D.jpeg
    A82C9965-F2EB-4EA8-BCEE-4CF90F78A54D.jpeg
    325.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 5117D537-C785-4E31-8A08-1872C1A38919.jpeg
    5117D537-C785-4E31-8A08-1872C1A38919.jpeg
    275.1 KB · Views: 0
Leaf picture?
Unfortunately there were no leaves left on the tree. It was dead. I was told by a tree service expert that it looks like a large white ash. Sadly it had several small tunnels in it with large white larvae/grub worm looking things. The wood is still solid and good, but my guess is the emerald ash borer killed this tree.

I cannot identify what type of tree this is. My phone will not identify it either. Can anyone tell me what it is? The bark is pretty thick (about 2 inches) and rough. It appears to be like walnut bark, but there is no dark center as you can see. The wood looks similar to silver maple wood and seems pretty hard.
Peel the bark and take more pics. We need more info.

Looks like ash. If it has serpentine tracks underneath the bark from EAB it is almost definitely ash

maybe speak to a proper arborist in future that's what I did when I was unsure about the trees in my garden as I wanted to make sure i took proper car of them, I worked with morris brown arborist!

I'd bet on ash. Why is it important to know what the tree variety is?

If you wish to raise the confidence level, find some of the twigs and see if they have opposite branching.
"find some of the twigs and see if they have opposite branching."
Post him some pics PD. Some will not understand "opposite branching" jmho :cool: OT

This is something I've been working on, tree ID by logs only. As a newbie woodcutter scrounging through my City's public compost area, I've been using the plantnet app, It lets me take a pic of the bark, and gives me several matching options, based on my region. Not foolproof, but helpful! If anyone else has tips on how to better recognize trees by their bark, I'm all ears.

Latest posts

Back