I need your guy's help with this one

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 188535

Chainsaw-wielding middle-schooler
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a very cool old chunk of wood. It is probably 16''x20'' and 4-5'' thick.

20231116_215056.jpg20231116_220252.jpg20231116_220225 (1).jpg20231116_220233 (1).jpg20231116_220213 (1).jpg

I don't know what type of wood it is and I also do not know how I should carve it into a wall hanging. I am thinking about either burning it to a crisp with the torch, sanding it, and finishing it to make a nice burnt wood wall art. Or cleaning it down and stripping off the bark and crap and sanding it super fine to make a nice finished wall art.

Please tell me your thoughts. I will be starting this project tomorrow.

If it was me, which doesn’t mean much, I would remove all the bark and any loose or softer wood. & accentuate the natural curves & shapes, then sand it smooth.
But you should pick the direction you want to go & when you finish decide what you like & don’t like. Then the next project, improve on it.
I have to see the project in my mind when I get started but am not afraid to change it up as I go. I don’t carve figures but do things like this. Putting the finish on this one now. BLO.

IMG_0186.jpeg

This one finished with urethane.

20210830_131417_Original.jpeg

I have a very cool old chunk of wood. It is probably 16''x20'' and 4-5'' thick.

View attachment 1128329View attachment 1128331View attachment 1128332View attachment 1128333View attachment 1128334

I don't know what type of wood it is and I also do not know how I should carve it into a wall hanging. I am thinking about either burning it to a crisp with the torch, sanding it, and finishing it to make a nice burnt wood wall art. Or cleaning it down and stripping off the bark and crap and sanding it super fine to make a nice finished wall art.

Please tell me your thoughts. I will be starting this project tomorrow.

I bet it would look great as a wall hanging. Cleaning and stripping the bark is what I would do. Then sand it for a polished appearance. Have you finished the project yet?

cant tell ya what to do with it, but it looks almost like silver maple mixed with red oak, ive got hundreds of both and they all look very similar to that piece, color is telling me more oak, as maple turns gray with age (when left in the sun)
this is one where a walnut blast would probably do good to clean it up, then sand off the rough edges to "round" then off a little, smooth it up till its like glass and then hit it with some poly urethane, but thats literal days of work

Latest posts

Back