Tree Jacks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i really wish i knew just what can be done with a jack in the timber here. i hate to leave good sticks. i just have no clue how much the hinge would take in a jacking situation.
i am gonna leave a half load of huge poplar out by the road, every one of them wants the road and power line........i already wedged what i thought i could. one has a huge top, prolly heavier than the stem leaning toward the road. very busy road.

Back first. Then jacks & wedges
big block cut . Big meaning tall. Bias the hinge towards the face half For a hair extra leverage. Better to have to open up a face than to have too deep of one, no more wood to cut up & a tree that looks like its going to slab backwards, just a matter of time.(this is somethimg where feedback from whats happening could change that) cut above any butt flair, (straight grain=stronger.)or you are opening a window for it to pop off the stump instead of comitting. And or having your jack just sink into the wood, not lifting anything. Take your time. Nibble some, jack some wedge some etc...Take some pics if you haven't already. Cody, or tarzantree has a good video on just how much some silvey tree savers, (i think)can handle, and what they can't too!

And then theres the question. Do you climb?

Good post Ted. I think I put in a shallower face than most guys I have cut with. (Dead trees often get a deep face.) (You guys know I have jack envy but SOMEDAY I will be advising: jack and wedge, jack and wedge. Someday. Uh... just had to say that.)

Someday You'll Understand...

I get Skeert with the jacking sometimes, and leave too much hold wood, not that it occurs to me to nibble a little off, these are the high value target trees though, so working a little harder vs having the hold wood fail... I vote work a little harder.

Of course then after whacking wedges and bending jack handles for 3 hours you realize the the face has closed up and the damn thing is just waiting for you to cut the rest of the hold wood...

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg My dad was a timber feller for 25 years in Northern CA. I am looking for a place to help him sell some Silvey Tree Saver jacks. Apparently they don't make these anymore, and there are people that want them out there somewhere. Anyone interested? I am in Noethern California and you can email me at [email protected] thanks.

right here is a good start...

there is a trading post section, though if the price is right I'd buy em now (but I would honestly not be able to pay what you could get for em.)
My last set of the big doubles I sold for about a grand for a rough idea of pricing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

You need a Big Shot !! With 16 oz Throw Bags and a couple 200' hanks of throw line. put the line over a limb as high up as you have a clear stem . Or limbs that can be snapped off or bent up into the bole of the tree. pull a good pass rope up and down then pull up the shidders winch line or a length of wire rope or bull line . Bell it up or tie a running bowline on the bull line . tighten it up. Put in the face . cut out the heart. take a little more strain on the line then back cut it. Let the skidder pull it over gently. . easy pie. !! If you pre rig the trees with pass ropes the whole pulling process isnt that slow. But working near powerlines and roads/highways isnt a high ball show.

Not a pro like you guys but I cut a lot of leaners. I do not gut them cause I want all the hinge I can get. I try to work the back cut and pull in tandem along with wedges until I get the tree past TDC and then cut her like normal. Need a good pardner

:eek:

offsite

I called Borntrager up a couple of weeks ago to see about making myself a guard for the gauge and he just sent me one, along with the schematic for where and how deep to drill. Marvin makes a great product and supports it after the fact. I have nothing but praise for that outfit.

O
hmmm... if I wasn't about to buy a dumper truck...

my inbox is all messed up, has been for awhile now.

Got any pictures of the set up?
On my way home from alaska on a boat at the moment but i can get you some by tomorrow afternoon. If you want send a text to 208 699 1zero34 and ill send them to your phone

Latest posts

Back