Tree name and whats the issue?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
tree1.jpgtree2.jpgtree3.jpgtree4.jpg

Got a call from a client. All of a sudden, this!

I don't think this tree is native so probably planted many years ago. Tree was very healthy 2 months ago and now looks to be drying out. It's been hot but I haven't seen any other trees look like this. the construction in the background is too far away to have any effect.

What type of tree is this and what do you think caused the problems? And maybe a cure?

View attachment 842341View attachment 842342View attachment 842343View attachment 842344

Got a call from a client. All of a sudden, this!

I don't think this tree is native so probably planted many years ago. Tree was very healthy 2 months ago and now looks to be drying out. It's been hot but I haven;t seen any other trees look like this. the construction ion the background is too far away to have any effect.

What type of tree is this and what do you think caused the problems?
@ATH

Ash seems right but the anthracnose is questionable. What I see isn't black spots like the pics in your link show. These leaves are dried out. Leaves I've seen on a maple I have in my yard with the anthracnose turned black.

Is the brown drying normal for anthracnose?

leaf.jpg

The spots I'm seeing are from the pic on the bottom left of the original post.

Looks like what I have learned as Ash anthracnose. Certainly different than maple. Actually had some trees dropping leaves that were perfectly green. Had a field tech from ArborJet come look and we came to the same conclusion (about the same time I heard back from a pathologist) we were all thinking "spotless anthracnose". Never sent it into a lab, but close examination showed small spots on the petiole. I guess point being, it isn't always "text book".

Could also be drought damage...made worse by possible EAB damage.

Back