Trimming cutters for plunge cutting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatgraderman

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi- new to site. Has anybody found an accurate way of trimming the back of the cutters on chain for carving. Stihl offers .25 chain ready for carving but I have a couple of saws that I can't get spur sprockets for .25 that I like to use for roughing in. Also does anybody have some tips as to help get a MS 200 rear handle running properly. I got the screen out of the muffler finally (200% improvement) but it's still only running so-so.

Accuracy is not so important as removing enough metal. However, I've only found this necessary when using dime tip bar. I remove the heel on a bench type belt sander. It's *clearance* so if they don't match perfectly it does not matter.

Clean the screen of your 200 by heating it red hot then, after it cools, brush it with a brass brush. Carvers work in the same place most of the time and removing the spark arrestor screen can result in a smoldering, unseen sawdust fire that burst into flame when you're not around.

Other possibilities for your saw include carb' adjustment (use a tach), carb' diaphram has become stiff (carb' rebuild kit), clogged fuel filter, or a vacuum leak. And of course the spark plug or airfilter.

One of my 200 saws got to running lean on the high end to the point it could not be properly adjusted. To fix this, I had to grind off part of the plastic limit knob on the H adjust screw.

SawChainTooth.jpg

Back