Tutorial: make your own raker depth gauge supported by software tool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And here a variation of Carlton Low Pro chain + gauge type 2.
The only parameter that is changed is the material thickness, in this case my common 1.0mm steel instead of the 1.2mm above.
carltontype2variation.jpg
Now you see the need for maybe an in between setting of the material thickness. By using 1.2mm (47 mil) the cutting angles are a little bit too low, by using 1.0mm (39 mil) a little bit too high (assuming a personal taste of 6.5° - 7.5°).
To maintain the initial value of 7.1° of the new chain, a material thickness of 1.07mm (44 mil) would be perfect. Noone here could sell me 44 mil thick material, so I would have to make the 44 mil out of my 47 mil material. Grinding, polish, acid ;) Or in my case: I stick with the little bit too low setting, given it´s used with an all purpose electrical chainsaw and my girlfriend uses it as well. No need for a too agressive setup ;)

Here some pictures showing what´s going on with the raker depth gauges during the cutter wearing. The proportions should be right, so these pics exactly reflect the numbers of the calculator for the Stihl 3/8 chain.
type1range.jpg
type2range.jpg You see that the position of the pivot point slightly changes. And you see that type 1 is a tiny little bit better whe nstarting off, very soon till the end type 2 is better, the pivot point then always sits lower (when mentally lengthen the tool accordingly)
Maybe these pictures can be useful when discussing certain aspects, you can edit them with common tools like Paint, Word and so on, making some markings, arrows,... and then re upload it.

I’ve gotten away from the .....shall we say Engineer / Workman schools of thought.
It´s better like that ;)

When I worked in research I would wear my blue shop apron when I talked to the workmen and my white lab coat when I talked to the engineers.
:D:D:D

No meanness meant in any way but your use is sort of narrow.
Yep. But every chainsaw user has to make the rakers go down, it doesn´t matter if you own 1 chainsaw or 100 different saws / setups. Maybe you give away all your chain to a service, but then the problem itself stays the same, but now the service man has it in hands ;)
Otherwise it´s your job. And now? We have all the possibilities, one to take. Take a constant raker depth gauge. Really? Making x file strokes every sharpening. Really? Remains buying a progressive raker depth gauge for every chain type and use it. That´s similar to my gauge 1. You can buy them all or make your own.
And then finally you can make yourself measurements with a digital angle finder, calipers,... And file down the raker, measure again, file down more,...
Don´t know if there are even more possibilities, but you definitely have to choose one. Independant of being a pro or having a narrow use ;)
So the interesting question at that point would be: If my approach is more appropriate for narrow usage (which may be so, maybe not) what do you personally think would be the best approach for people with a wider use? :cool:
'Critisizing' other´s approach is very easy, so now to the difficult part ;)

I usually use one chain on a saw and sharpen it on the bar until that chain is gone, or damaged beyond use.

So if my combination of saw power, bar length, wood type, cutter type and depth gauge height are not cutting like I feel they should, I reduce the height of the depth gauge. The only chain I use is Stihl RS 3/8 and .404 and I have hundreds of loops from a tree service that used a chain until it was basterized and then put on a new chain.

As an arborist I do a lot of in the tree cutting with a Stihl 200T, I have two. On the ground it is a couple of Stihl 036 pro's, a couple of MS460's(20 and 25inch) and then rarely a Hushy 3120 with 36 inch bar. I also have an almost mint 090 hidden away. I have experimented a lot over the past 30 years and also own a Stihl USG with square grinding attachments. I play with that too when I need to get my chains back to good after I've filed them wonky. The I usually go back to hand filing. I am of very low production output as it is just me these days. Solo.

In many trees I use a hand powered saw as mostly I do tree care.

Just some background to show that I'm basically a amateur in the chain saw cutting arena. I do have some saws that cut pretty well though but I certainly no GTG racing competitor. I do follow every bit I can glean from those folks though including photos. I mostly square file but not always.

I lean toward being a non classically educated engineer and at this I fall far short.

I had a gut feeling where Hannes was going right from his first posting. I am so glad to see those with much real world experience in both engineering and sawing joining in.

I believe almost everyone here can benefit at least a little. Myself, I can learn a lot! Retaining it is another matter.

There's my unsolicited bio. Please be kind.

Also please don't quote or respond to my post as it will only litter up this thread. Like it if you like it.

009.JPG

Maybe you can make that clearer what you mean exactly here. Where exactly is the notch and what influence has this notch when filing down a new full height raker and when filing down the already shortened raker of a worn chain?

Glad that some of my numbers are of help :)
https://www.arboristsite.com/commun...l-indicator-feedback-on-marketability.295188/
It wouldn't work anyway. I'll explain the other way as that way would be a bit low unless you had a bumper.

I was/am talking about two gauges. One on each end. Two gauges so you don't disturd (too low)what is 'optimal' or the best numbers that work best for the first 'half ' of the chains life. Then a lower one for the second half. Perhaps you could still 'shorten it up' and find its still good for both. As you pointed out, the lower point of contact (POC) Makes it most affective as the tooth wears. I see its largely to do with the combination when the raker gauge angle is decreased a great deal . A single flat stroke is probably equal to three angled strokes. It may not have much affect on the front numbers with the greater gauge angle anyway?

What I mean by 'shorten it up'
The end of the gauge can still sit accross the top of the chain and be lower than what you have but it needs a hole for the raker with at least enough material beyond the bottom end hole. (Could be a drill hole on a flat plate would work good as anything, as well easy. Especially for a prototype.
Grind it down to where you want to start testing. You mentioned something about a software calculator? I'm sure I heard something about a software calculator:reading: lol
I wish I was set up to toy around with the lengths and numbers. Its not possible at this time. I could freak out on this. OCD out. Very cool.
Just keep buzzing little bits off at a time and see where its at.
I would try one on the other end of the flat plate that's a little steeper if needed. I bet you could get even more consistent data.

I see in your theory as to 'why' and 'where'. Its 100% correct. Its now reality which only has to do with that I realize what's happening. Nothing to do with the software data. I will take you at face value, that so is your software calculator reality.
The rest is preference and convenience perhaps as to where it goes from there. I would personally modify the one in the link by grinding it back. That would be good for me as its flat and I could make a two in one if there was an advantage for it?

I'm not a fan of the bend personality.
I use the type on the left of the link in the 7th post. I free hand the higher ones on a sharper angle when I have let them get too high . I hold the gauge in my lips so I don't mix up hard end with soft end while doing this. Often It has enemies like snow around me as well on one side I remove the glove then do three rakers then back on the glove; when its extremely cold weather. Flat plate for me. The one in the picture is for a.325 but I use both for 3/8.
I use a lot of hook for cedar but if there is too much hemlock mix then the saw will want to clutch out with the use of the felling dogs on the angle cuts. Using lower hanging aftermarket dogs will change the dynamics also making it then much worse again. The .325 allows me to reduce the hook and get a lower raker. Lots of tricks. Or I can make a pie felling cut an hemlock and take a 3:12 pitch from the truck and same from the stump. Many things to balance and that's the way I like it. Its all balancing your situation. I don't take the time to keep all those teeth even. It works well until it doesn't for a little over half chain.
I buy the chain vs I'm on someone's time vs filing longer in the rain vs file expense vs chain throws vs more filing vs throws are hard on guides sprocket bar vs time again vs more money

You get the picture. Things change through activities though. As mentioned Square grinding has its great advantages. Then you have to buy one, pack it in and out of work camps and grind after work.

It´s the chain cutter´s geometry. It´s not a single parameter, it´s the combination of them. So your mentioned peak angle not always is to find on the given position, it varies depending on the chain type / manufacturer.
absolutely it varies, funny how it almost never did that with the type 1 gauge. But It did once I believe? Strange. A flat edge is a flat edge. The jurry is still out on some of that..lol
You did get one queer reading on one graff. It read at .023" but everything consistantly decreased from the top as a would expect. You didn't run any direct comparisons..maybe one? Nothing with the stihl reg 3/8

*Not disputing the improvements

I was/am talking about two gauges. One on each end. Two gauges so you don't disturd (too low)what is 'optimal' or the best numbers that work best for the first 'half ' of the chains life. Then a lower one for the second half.
Yeah, it´s possible to make two gauges, one for each chain life´s half. I don´t even own one of the buyable gauges, would be interesting to have the measurements of it, when throwing the numbers into the calculator, we would know, what the buyable ones achieve. So only two numbers needed, thickness of the gauge and the 'pivot length'. So we would see what the manufacturers assume as good cutting angles for soft and hard wood. Not that we simply want to copy that, only out of interest ;)
So with the buyable gauges maybe it would be possible to use the 'hard' setting for the first half and the 'soft' setting for the second half of the chain´s life when aiming actually for a 'hard' setting. But of course you don´t have a setting for the second half when aiming for a 'soft' setup in the meaning of this approach...

What I mean by 'shorten it up'
The end of the gauge can still sit accross the top of the chain and be lower than what you have but it needs a hole for the raker with at least enough material beyond the bottom end hole. (Could be a drill hole on a flat plate would work good as anything, as well easy. Especially for a prototype.
I would try one on the other end of the flat plate that's a little steeper if needed. I bet you could get even more consistent data.
Hmm. That is this kind of explanations when I personally need a drawing, a photo or something comparable. I understand all (at least most) of your single words, but not the combination of them. The teacher would maybe say "Mind your language" ;) Or maybe here we are sitting on the language barrier, who knows? :)

I would personally modify the one in the link by grinding it back. That would be good for me as its flat and I could make a two in one if there was an advantage for it?
If I understand you right, yes, you can take a gauge like the one you linked to in post #7 as a base and modify it to your needs. You can lengthen the slot, and so you have a shorter 'pivot length' and so higher values for the cutting angle. Or you lengthen the cutout for the raker towards the middle of your mentioned gauge and so you have a longer 'pivot length' and so lower values for the cutting angle.

You didn't run any direct comparisons..maybe one? Nothing with the stihl reg 3/8
I don´t quite understand your wish here. You´d like me to do a direct comparison of something, but what? I should compare what with what? :confused:

After reading this whole thread I must say it's been very interesting. And since I did read the whole thing I can't help but chiming in with my 2 cents even though I've already forgotten many of the deeper points that will probably blow everything out of the water that I'm about to offer up. LOL

Someone asked for a picture of a Husky progressive gauge, which I gather is equivalent to the type 1 gauge on page one? (I never knew Stihl made such a gauge.) I guess I'm not seeing the difference between one of these and the ones Hannes is making except perhaps their application to the task by way of the reference point on the chain for positioning the tool and most probably the material used for making the tool.

0401172249_resized.jpg

0401172252_resized.jpg

These are what I use for my general purpose needs on various types of wood with various types of chain. My point of reference for placement is always the back of the raker regardless of how the front slot of the gauge straddles the chain. If I could make em, I would..., because they wear out eventually. Seems like all the hair splitting being referenced in this thread omits that fact while contemplating all the other changing values requiring consideration during the life of the chain itself. A good raker file will eventually wear down (or through) any gauge and obviously affect the cutting face to raker relationship (angle) over time. Granted it's a gradual effect, but another variable nonetheless. Regarding cutting angles, (assuming we're talking about cutting face), wouldn't the filing or grinding have a more significant effect on those numbers than what is simply being calculated in theory as an effect of a given depth gauge? I use a smaller file as I get toward the last third of a cutter. Where do I plug in that variable?

I still don't get the part where different tooth lengths are a problem if a progressive raker gauge is dutifully used to maintain a relative relationship between a tooth and a raker (except for bore cuts) and one keeps the gullet clean. Should 'basically' get the same chip from a short tooth as a long one if they're cutting at the same depth..., keeping in mind a saw chain doesn't roll around a bar in a smooth linear fashion, but rather 'rocks' up and down front to back link to link as it cuts through wood. Thus a taller raker on a longer tooth doesn't necessarily inhibit a shorter tooth with a shorter raker from grabbing wood or make the saw cut crooked or in circles as many would suggest. Only difference would be the width of the chip near as I can figure.

All that said, it just seems to me that the rear of the raker should be the reference point for positioning any type of progressive style depth gauge tool in order to maintain a consistently appropriate relationship (angle) to the cutting edge (working corner, actually) of the tooth. That in and of itself would be different between full and semi-chisel chain if you think about it. What that 'appropriate relationship' happens to be over the life of the chain would certainly change and depend on the design/choice of progressive tool as to how drastically or subtly, but surely seems like it would be more consistent than a method using the drive link surface or rivet-to-cutting-face relationship as the constant by which the raker height should be adjusted.

All I know is the various Husky gauges work for me for the various types of chain they can be used on and if I could make something similar cheap I would. In the meantime, they're 3 bux apiece.

After reading this whole thread I must say it's been very interesting. And since I did read the whole thing I can't help but chiming in with my 2 cents even though I've already forgotten many of the deeper points that will probably blow everything out of the water that I'm about to offer up. LOL

Someone asked for a picture of a Husky progressive gauge, which I gather is equivalent to the type 1 gauge on page one? (I never knew Stihl made such a gauge.) I guess I'm not seeing the difference between one of these and the ones Hannes is making except perhaps their application to the task by way of the reference point on the chain for positioning the tool and most probably the material used for making the tool.

View attachment 649055

View attachment 649056

These are what I use for my general purpose needs on various types of wood with various types of chain. My point of reference for placement is always the back of the raker regardless of how the front slot of the gauge straddles the chain. If I could make em, I would..., because they wear out eventually. Seems like all the hair splitting being referenced in this thread omits that fact while contemplating all the other changing values requiring consideration during the life of the chain itself. A good raker file will eventually wear down (or through) any gauge and obviously affect the cutting face to raker relationship (angle) over time. Granted it's a gradual effect, but another variable nonetheless. Regarding cutting angles, (assuming we're talking about cutting face), wouldn't the filing or grinding have a more significant effect on those numbers than what is simply being calculated in theory as an effect of a given depth gauge? I use a smaller file as I get toward the last third of a cutter. Where do I plug in that variable?

I still don't get the part where different tooth lengths are a problem if a progressive raker gauge is dutifully used to maintain a relative relationship between a tooth and a raker (except for bore cuts) and one keeps the gullet clean. Should 'basically' get the same chip from a short tooth as a long one if they're cutting at the same depth..., keeping in mind a saw chain doesn't roll around a bar in a smooth linear fashion, but rather 'rocks' up and down front to back link to link as it cuts through wood. Thus a taller raker on a longer tooth doesn't necessarily inhibit a shorter tooth with a shorter raker from grabbing wood or make the saw cut crooked or in circles as many would suggest. Only difference would be the width of the chip near as I can figure.

All that said, it just seems to me that the rear of the raker should be the reference point for positioning any type of progressive style depth gauge tool in order to maintain a consistently appropriate relationship (angle) to the cutting edge (working corner, actually) of the tooth. That in and of itself would be different between full and semi-chisel chain if you think about it. What that 'appropriate relationship' happens to be over the life of the chain would certainly change and depend on the design/choice of progressive tool as to how drastically or subtly, but surely seems like it would be more consistent than a method using the drive link surface or rivet-to-cutting-face relationship as the constant by which the raker height should be adjusted.

All I know is the various Husky gauges work for me for the various types of chain they can be used on and if I could make something similar cheap I would. In the meantime, they're 3 bux apiece.
ummm...I'll take Harley T's question.. lol
Good pic's. Thank you Yes It was I who couldn't upload one but did use Philbert's link again in my last post. Pic is what I wanted for explanation reasons. I won't veer off the direct discussion too much at this time. That's why I didn't answer the gentleman's 2nd posy about 'aggressive' boring issues on pg. 2. That and I gave him the proper mitigators to use with deeper rakers. He came back and answered his own question anyway, didn't he?

Every thing affects every thing, as we all agree on. As far as the flow of the chain through the wood, there is so much in play here.
First off: Its chain sprocket driven so its centripetal force opposed to a shaft (clutch) which is opposite and goes away from the axis (centrifugal) FWIW to anyone?
Then we have disturbance.

I can give some examples of disturbance. The inward force may help this, but at times will break the flow or the cutters creating a surge or bounce ect. As well is increased hook and lower rakers or cutter types. Square chisel has less disturbance. Then you have the disturbance of the engine at Wide open throttle (WOT)
At times like in punky wood you can see all of these disturbance come into play. It ends up cutting the log faster or around the same speed at 1/3 throttle.
This will happen with 'perfect bar and chains'.
Everything has limitations and it can't 'porpoise' affectively through the wood as it goes in and out of 'attack mode'.
I will give an example of a common situation were the inward force at WOT will bind a chain that is running off to one side. In some of the worst cases. The chain will bind but will only cut to one side when the revs are reduced, in turn reducing the force. If the felling dogs are in the log then it will remain bound up.

As for using the progressive gauge with longer and shorter teeth:
The data on the graf's will show you it can only work in a certain window of wear. Greater disturbance and cutter intervals will affect that window. Example: skip chain and cutter hook, round chisel vs squre ect. I use round chisel skip with a flat angle hook for cedar. I also, as mentioned twice already, don't keep my teeth even for many reason that were also given. It will only work in that window as its about as unforgiving a combination as it gets.
I don't know how many times when it was entering the end of that workable 'window' and I made the start of a problem into a throw-away chain after putting my best work into that chain.(apart from filing the teeth even) Talk about an insult to 'your' ability. I would strongly suggest (to anyone) keeping the teeth even. With no exeptions if one doesn't use a raker gauge.

So there is much to consider.

I think I said I wasn't going to get into all that ^^^ at this time right..lol

* sorry, i just reread your post. I believe you are confusing 'Cutting angle' with cutter angle/ top plate cutter angle. Cutting angle is discribed here as an imaginary line drawn from the "inside of the raker" (highest point) UP to the leading edge of the cutter. I believe in trigonometry, then that would be a triangle. "Rise over run" and angle degree, with the rise being that of your raker hight.

After reading this whole thread I must say it's been very interesting.
:)

Someone asked for a picture of a Husky progressive gauge, which I gather is equivalent to the type 1 gauge on page one? (I never knew Stihl made such a gauge.)
It is equivalent to type 1, yes. Stihl made them too, I linked somewhere in this thread to a video showing it in action.

I guess I'm not seeing the difference between one of these and the ones Hannes is making except perhaps their application to the task by way of the reference point on the chain for positioning the tool and most probably the material used for making the tool.
Yes. It´s all about the pivot point, it determines the cutting angle. I don´t know what material the buyable ones are made of, I guess steel ;) I mean: I don´t know what sort of steel they make it out of. Stihl e.g. mentioned on their homepage with older ones, that they cannot be used directly in combination with a file but only to look at it, when showing the newer ones they put an accent on that it is usable directly with the file. So they maybe made the old ones out of a 'softer' steel and the newer ones out of 'hardened' steel. There are many qualities of steel out there. I´m talking personally simply only about 'normal' steel and 'stainless' or 'hardened' steel. The hardware stores here offer these two types as stripes or plates. I used both of them for my gauges, but more or less out of the reason that they are offered in different thicknesses. It was welcome for my process that I have at least these two given thicknesses, and by accident one is stainless and the other one normal steel.
It has an influence on the gauge itself of course. On on side the use of it: hardened steel will withstand direct filing much longer. On the other side the production of the gauge: Try e.g. cutting the hardened steel with an angle grinder by using a normal cutting disc and not the one appropriate for hardened steel, and you´ll not be happy ;) (I tried that once; when using the right disc you see sparks and the metal disappearing, when using the wrong one you see dust and the disc disappearing ;) )

My point of reference for placement is always the back of the raker regardless of how the front slot of the gauge straddles the chain.
Yes.

If I could make em, I would..., because they wear out eventually
I explained how to do that ;) And be assured, I´m not the perfect craftman having perfect tools and decades of experience in this field.
You can even simply copy your Husky one if you´re happy with them. The difficult part is the squared cutout. When making mygauge type 1, I only made it out of the softer steel and I used a Dremel with normal drillers as cutting tool. For hardened steel this will rather surely not work out...

A good raker file will eventually wear down (or through) any gauge and obviously affect the cutting face to raker relationship (angle) over time. Granted it's a gradual effect, but another variable nonetheless.
Yes. Using a gauge made of very high grade steel should lower the wearing effect. Of course the gauge will last forever, if you don´t file onto it, but you file free hand and only control with the gauge. I do it like that. For shaping the raker I already have to free file, so... And I´m not feeling that comfortable when holding the gauge in one hand in its position and the file in the other hand, for me it´s better handling to file and the other hand holds the bar against.

I use a smaller file as I get toward the last third of a cutter. Where do I plug in that variable?
Good point :) This variable and some others are neglected within the simple 'constant cutting angle' concept.
The thing with the smaller file is the following in my eyes: Because the cutter height decreases over time, you may come to a limit, where you can´t even use the bigger file due to a to high diameter. So you are maybe 'forced' to use a samller one. The other point is the hook shape of the cutter´s front. With decreasing cutter height, you get a smaller arc (part of a circle built by the file). The smaller the part of a circle is, the more it appears as a straight line. To maintain the hook, you have to use a circle with a smaller radius. Can´t explain it better and maybe it´s not the right theory, don´t know :)
Other thing to mention here at this point because it seems very suitable to me: It´s maybe a little bit the matter from what point of view you are looking to this subject. I see it like that: You want to cut wood. This work is done by the chain, by the cutter. In front of the cutter is the raker. The raker allows or prevents the cutter to cut depending on raker depth. When having no raker depth, you can´t cut, it doesn´t matter at this point what´s going on with your cutter, is it sharp or not,... On the other side when having no raker at all maybe nothing happens because your chain stucks. So we need the right setting between these extremes. Now let´s say we have a small raker depth. And a perfect cutter. You get perfect chips, but really small ones. So your cutting speed is very low. Now let´s assume bad cutters (not sharp,...) You produce powder, with a higher raker a small amount of powder, with a lower raker a litlle bit more of powder ;)
Ideally you have perfect cutters and now the raker depth is more or less adjusted to your saw´s power. With perfect cutters and too high rakers you waste the power. You could use it to make bigger chips and work faster.
Overdoing this leads to the point where the saw bogs down or the chain doesn´t work smooth anymore or undesirable effects like kickback danger rise up. A balancing act.
What I want to say: Having a saw with ultra power, having the perfectly sharpened chain is not of much use when the rakers aren´t set in the right manner... The rakers allow to set the forces free or block them.

keeping in mind a saw chain doesn't roll around a bar in a smooth linear fashion, but rather 'rocks' up and down front to back link to link as it cuts through wood. Thus a taller raker on a longer tooth doesn't necessarily inhibit a shorter tooth with a shorter raker from grabbing wood or make the saw cut crooked or in circles as many would suggest.
I think: Yes, it rocks up and down. But this maybe can cover only a certain degree of variations in height. If a tooth is very high compared to the surrounded ones, it may lead to a 'lifting' off and make the other cutters not used. Or one tooth very low maybe doesn´t really cut anymore or at least with lower pressure and so a smaller chip.
And the cutter´s length has an influence on the cutting: I had already the same experience like many others with a chain having all left cutters having an other length than the right cutters (due to different filing / grinding). The chain doesn´t cut straight. So at least in this regard constant cutter length would be desirable ;)
The progressive raker depth gauge maintains the right raker depth according to its cutter,yes, that´s one of the advantages of this type of gauges.

All that said, it just seems to me that the rear of the raker should be the reference point for positioning any type of progressive style depth gauge tool in order to maintain a consistently appropriate relationship (angle) to the cutting edge (working corner, actually) of the tooth.
Yes.

They´re rather cheap, yes.
My point is, that you can actually make one yourself, that type 2 may be even better than type 1 and you can adjust it to your needs.
When already using a progressive raker depth gauge, most of the part is already done of course, my approach maybe adds the last 20 % in direction to perfection ;) ;)

, would be interesting to have the measurements of it,

:confused:
Maybe Pogoin will be good enough to take a couple measurements of his, hard and soft..:drinkingcoffee: ask him
. sorry man I couldn't resist.

So inside saddle to the top of the square is good?
May as well get a helping hand and see if someone has a .325 in that style and see how close that one is on 3/8 chain?

In my case, the hard and soft measurements are pretty much the same these days. LOL

As for the depth gauge tool, I'd be happy to take some measurements when I have some time. I have all the variants of the dedicated Husky tool and also one on a roller combo sharpening guide which is simply a short side-by-side version that happens to be for 3/8 chain. They are pitch specific, so a .325 tool won't work for a 3/8 application.

Top of the square (either left or right side depending on cutter direction) is my reference point. The raker will naturally be oriented correctly if the gauge is centered on the chain and straddling it regardless of the distance from the raker slot to the saddle contact point. Many folks get frustrated with these because they think the raker should fit into the small slot at the front of the square. Never could figure out how that would even work or what the slot is for. Hell, maybe I've been usin' em wrong all these years!

Maybe Pogoin will be good enough to take a couple measurements of his, hard and soft..
Hmm. At this point Harley T comes to my mind as well who could be suitable for this kind of job ;)

So inside saddle to the top of the square is good?
May as well get a helping hand and see if someone has a .325 in that style and see how close that one is on 3/8 chain?
Yes. ALL kind of measurements can help us to lift the whole secret about raker filing and gauging ;)
Seriously: Yes. It would be intersting to find out, what the manufacturers are thinking about suitable cutting angles for hard and soft wood.
Then we can find out if it is a good idea to use the soft setting for the second half of a chain for a hard setup, or using a .325 gauge on a 3/8 chain and so on.
What really would be interesting I think, are the measurements of .325 and .404 chains to see what happens there. I don´t give up hope that somwhere along the way someone will do some measurements for different chains ;)

Back